Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Abergas & any other Gas Fitters in Perth

Abergas & any other Gas Fitters in Perth

Old Feb 21st 2004, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Abergas & any other Gas Fitters in Perth

Abergas

I rember reading a post of yours awhile aga where you said that you had finished your gas exams and now had to start working.

How has it been ? have you experienced many problems getting work.

I am totally confused by this whole licence thingy, do you need to have a plumbing licence as well as a gas fitters ?

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated
Old Feb 21st 2004, 7:22 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a gas engineer my self....would also like to know how you got on job wise after getting licence!

I remember your post saying you needed one to get work.

all the best plum.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default Re: Abergas & any other Gas Fitters in Perth

Originally posted by jwinch
Abergas
I rember reading a post of yours awhile aga where you said that you had finished your gas exams and now had to start working.
How has it been ? have you experienced many problems getting work.
I am totally confused by this whole licence thingy, do you need to have a plumbing licence as well as a gas fitters ?
Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated
Hi guys,sorry its taken a while to get back to compter but now the boys have got back into thier "social life" on computer, dont get much of a look in.

This is just my experience so nobody slag me off or i'll go and sulk in the corner
First problem I came across was that when we arrived at the beginning of june last year, I just missed out on getting on to a gas course (only cause nobody got back to me with info!).
There are only 3 places in perth area that run the gas course
Swan TAFE at midland
(the first available for me, Phil Bale/Andrew legg 9274 9369)
Freemantle TAFE, Ron Duffield 9239 8293
Mpa Services in maylands, Bob Goodchild 9271 3200
At the moment they last for 5 weeks but they are soon changing this to more reflect the uk system(@180 hrs at the moment, spose to be around 300 hrs this year sum time).
As I said b4 just missed the june course so had to wait untill end of august for the next one - only 4 courses a year.
Course is a piece of cake compared to acops and acs except for the ozzy welding, lead roof work and different fittings in the course work, which works on several assessments b4 taking a practical and theory exam at the end of each module.
6 modules at present -
Gas Installation 1-Type A Appliances
Gas Installation 2-Type A Appliances
Gas servicing-Type A Appliances
Gas Standards Legislation WA
Gas Safety
Basic Combustion and Flueing Principles.
You can opt to just do the exam part of the course but you still have to pay most of the cost (@$500)and some of the stuff you wouldnt know unless you do the course.
U need 3 books for the course(cheaper if u get them b4 then at the college)
Gas Installation AS 5601-2002 AG 601- 2002
(isbn 0-85852-286- 1)
Gas Standards(Gasfitting and consumer gas installations)regulations 1999
Volume 3 Plumbing Services(gasfitting)isbn 0-07-452010-5
First 2 books available from Energy Safety WA (ozzy Corgi)
at WWW.energysafety.wa.gov.au
Total cost of books @$125.
One thing that surprised me over here is that Gas fitting on its own is not a trade in WA, its treated as part of plumbing.
Back to your original questions -
You can carry out gas work on its own without a plumbing license
($50 per year gas permit from energy safety)

Getting a plumbing license over here is another story.
If like me you were mostly a gas tech who had to carry out plumbing with no formal plumbing certificates, then you have to provide proof of 4 years experience with specific references from
bosses or work associates and pass a 8 Hr trade test at Freemantle TAFE to get what they call a Tradesman License.
This enables you to work for somebody else who has a Plumbers Licence but you carn't work for yourself.
If on the other hand if you have UK plumbing certificates then you can present these along with all the other paperwork you sent to the TRA for your skills assessment to the Plumbing License Board
(Nathan 9282 0478) and if your lucky you might get a Tradesman license without the trade test
The only way to get a Plumbing license in WA is through an apprentiship - but they wont take old farts like me(44)
As yet I hav'nt had time to take my trade test at "freo"
but it suppose to b @$300.

As for work, I got a job straight after finishing the course in september but was laid off just b4 xmas because the contract finished.Then applied for anything and everything in the paper@60 applications in all but to no avail.Finally got a job with BOC (yes they are over here too)and start on Mon 23 feb - phew!!
I did ring round all the lcal plumbing companies but summer is no good for gas work but if i had my tradesman license, they would have taken me on, so my advice would be to if poss get your tradesman licence b4 your gas license.

Hope this helps a bit and happy to help on specifics if reqd and if I can get back on the computer !!!!!!!

CUL8TR

Dave.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:11 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

If you have the four years I thought it was automatic qualifaction?
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:29 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank's for your reply abergas,nice to hear from you again!

I took the TRA trade assessment as part of my application for pr visa, have ACS gas courses and also hold city and guilds plumbing certificate.
From what your saying should be able to get plumbing licence.
Looking at some of the plumbing while in perth , see they do alot of silver soldering.
I take it that there must be some differences which require some sort of extra training.

Thank''s again for your post , very helpful info.

all the best plum & family .