Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

9 hours in Dubai

9 hours in Dubai

Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:07 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default 9 hours in Dubai

Does anyone have any hints for passing 9 hours in Dubai Airport? We are ineligible for the complementary hotel room that Emirates sometimes provide, and we cannot book one as they have no rooms free Are there any other hotels within a reasonable distance so we can lie down for a few hours, or is this unrealistic for such a short stay?

Help!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:05 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 hours in Dubai

You can use the paid DCA Dubai International Business Lounge and I believe they offer rooms by the hour as well. I'm not certain I would want to spend 9 hours there though but in an emergency at least its showers, food and drown sorrows. They may have a limit on time you can spend there too as many paid lounges do.

However, more appealing, might be the Holiday Inn. The airport has a shuttle and its only a couple of miles (literally) from the airport. A room there is about 65 pounds sterling for the night.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/...og&PID=2217667
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:40 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mika24me
Does anyone have any hints for passing 9 hours in Dubai Airport? We are ineligible for the complementary hotel room that Emirates sometimes provide, and we cannot book one as they have no rooms free Are there any other hotels within a reasonable distance so we can lie down for a few hours, or is this unrealistic for such a short stay?

Help!
Oh holy Buddha good luck
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Help!
Not wanting to scare you, but.....having spent possibly the worst nine hours of my life in that hellhole, I wish you luck. I spent most of the time trying to stop a bunch of disgusting children pinching my luggage and felt very uncomfortable the whole time. I don't scare easily when I'm travelling, but some of the looks I was getting, as a white woman travelling alone, were very unnerving. No food or drink, restaurants were all closed. Our flight was delayed there and Emirates refused any assistance in regard to phoning ahead and rearranging connections in Australia - in fact they refused any assistance at all. Just dumped us all off the plane and left us for the night without even an apology.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:12 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not wanting to scare you, but.....having spent possibly the worst nine hours of my life in that hellhole, I wish you luck. I spent most of the time trying to stop a bunch of disgusting children pinching my luggage and felt very uncomfortable the whole time. I don't scare easily when I'm travelling, but some of the looks I was getting, as a white woman travelling alone, were very unnerving. No food or drink, restaurants were all closed. Our flight was delayed there and Emirates refused any assistance in regard to phoning ahead and rearranging connections in Australia - in fact they refused any assistance at all. Just dumped us all off the plane and left us for the night without even an apology.
Should have stayed in the UK
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:17 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Should have stayed in the UK
I nearly got on a flight going back I tell you! Wouldn't use Emirates again, nor travel through Dubai, even though that was back in 2000.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

PAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond repute

I nearly got on a flight going back I tell you! Wouldn't use Emirates again, nor travel through Dubai, even though that was back in 2000.
Only fly back with Emirates, never had a bad flight and Dubai Airport is one of the best in my eyes. But each to their own
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Polyana. We were there in July and I didn't think the airport was all that and I too felt uncomfortable there (even with my family with me). I thought it was me just being sensitive. There weren't enough seats in the lounge and we took it in turns to sit on the floor. Also, we had to fight tooth and nail with Emirates to get on our flight as they bumped us, the B/ards - not good at midnight with 2 kids in tow (age 4 and 8). We didn't have an apology either. Also, if you have any local currency you should use it, as I had to use my debit card to get 2 x coffees as we were desperate, and got charged £9.00!

I would definately book some sort of room if possible.

Good luck
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:33 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I agree with Polyana. We were there in July and I didn't think the airport was all that and I too felt uncomfortable there (even with my family with me). I thought it was me just being sensitive. There weren't enough seats in the lounge and we took it in turns to sit on the floor. Also, we had to fight tooth and nail with Emirates to get on our flight as they bumped us, the B/ards - not good at midnight with 2 kids in tow (age 4 and 8). We didn't have an apology either. Also, if you have any local currency you should use it, as I had to use my debit card to get 2 x coffees as we were desperate, and got charged £9.00!

I would definately book some sort of room if possible.

Good luck
I agree with the seats comment - fortunately I had no kids with me, but I got some filthy looks from people around me. A lot of women were standing while the men with them sat down, but I wasn't giving up my seat so a guy could sit down, sorry, tough luck.
Cost me a small fortune to phone Aus and rearrange connecting flights, nd warn the guy meeting me in Hobart that I would be late - no help from the airline at all.
The flights were also not very pleasant - I ended up sitting next an Arabic-looking gentleman for part of the trip who gave me filthy looks whenever I called the crew to get me a drink.

I do appreciate that a lot of people on here have had really good experiences with Emirates, and in Dubai, but personally - no way ever again.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:50 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

The airport hotel charges around 50 USD for a single room and 60/70 for a double, wait for this, PER HOUR. The only place open in the off hours seems to be the Irish pub - asked for a glass of beer only to be charged 10 USD (or whereabouts) for a pint of warmish donkey p!$$. Duty free is nothing special compared to EU or elsewhere in the northern hemisphere for that matter. Best of luck in other words. It gets offset by the cabin crew being nice and all, but honestly, the shorter your connection there is, the better is the overall impression of the trip.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

I recently flew with Qatar Airways who claim to be a 5 star airline. But I had a 8 hour stop-over in doha and that certainly wasn't a 5 star airport...no internet access, no currency exchange, rubbish seating and shops...never again.

Anyway, IMO dubai airport is very good and there is good shopping facilities. It has the advantage of being only a few minutes from dubai city centre so if you can leave the airport then I suggest you head into the city for a few hours for sightseeing!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:21 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Help!
Scroll down the offers to ?? 5 or 6 on list.Hotel is very close to Airport which, imho is fine.
http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels....OP_US_MD_1893#
HTH.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been through Dubai airport for years as I much prefer flying with Singapore and going through there.

Dubai Airport does NOT have enough to do in it for 9 hours! I once had a 7 hour stop over there and it was agony. The only upside was it was the day the new terminal opened so we had a tad more to look around but after a good look around, some food etc we only managed to kill about 3 hours.

Then tried to have a little snooze on the lounger chairs but the air-con was on so fierce we were freezing.....35 outside in the middle of the night and we are frozen inside. So, more tea, more trekking around - we were so glad to get on the plane after that!

Likewise KL airport is only sustainable for about 3 hours max (and that's if you have a little ride on the train) unlike Singapore where I can be quite happy pottering around the shops for hours on end!

You end up spending a fortune on a long stop-over. Book lounges or the hotel if you can.

Trouble is with Dubai the flights are all at odd times so even if you could/can get out of the airport there is nothing to see as it's the middle of the night! At least in Singapore if you have a 5 hour or move stop-over you can take a tour around the city or use the hotel which has a pool!

Good luck - don't envy you!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:18 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all your responses, I am taking a look at the Holiday Inn now
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:53 pm
Hussy

The Holiday Inn was a no go, but I have a room booked at the Dubai International Airport Premier Inn for only £61! Phew, that's one more thing I can cross off the list then

Thanks for your help everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.