Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

7 months in Hobart

7 months in Hobart

Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Default 7 months in Hobart

I have been meaning to write this for as while and meant to do a traditional 6 month one but have just been too busy.

Well the last 7 months have gone so fast and I cant believe we have been here 7 months already.

As some of you know I really struggled with homesickness for the first couple of months but it got better and I really feel like this is home now.

We put an offer in on a house today which has been accepted- ahhhaaaa hh!!!

Its needs a alot of work but has the most incredible views and our first plan is to build a big desk to sit and admire it from !!!

A lot of things here havnt been as I expected them to be but a lot of things have exceeded my expectations...

Example- I had a birthday BBQ tonight- all of the people we invited we did not know 7 months ago and yet all of them, i consider to be friends. It feels like a family in some ways and I never expect that after such a short time here.

Tassie is my home now and there is nowhere on earth I would rather be !!!

Nat xxx
Old Dec 10th 2005, 1:01 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 months in Hobart

Originally Posted by natty
I have been meaning to write this for as while and meant to do a traditional 6 month one but have just been too busy.

Well the last 7 months have gone so fast and I cant believe we have been here 7 months already.

As some of you know I really struggled with homesickness for the first couple of months but it got better and I really feel like this is home now.

Its needs a alot of work but has the most incredible views and our first plan is to build a big desk to sit and admire it from !!!

A lot of things here havnt been as I expected them to be but a lot of things have exceeded my expectations...

Example- I had a birthday BBQ tonight- all of the people we invited we did not know 7 months ago and yet all of them, i consider to be friends. It feels like a family in some ways and I never expect that after such a short time here.

Nat xxx
Glad you've settled well.
Oh, and Happy Birthday
Julie. x
Old Dec 10th 2005, 1:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nat xxx
So glad you are loving it there now Natty; I am deeply envious of people moving to Tassie as I love the island so much, but I don't think the circumstances will ever be right for us to move there.
I spent a lot of time in The Glebe, with stunning views of Mount Wellington, and I will always remember how glorious it is to wake up and see the mountain, with the rising sun reflected on it.....sorry, off on my own reminisences!
Have you explored much of Tassie yet, or is that still a treat in store?
Old Dec 10th 2005, 1:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you Nat.

Glad it's worked out and you're feeling settled.

We don't here much from Tassie once people get there so it would be good to have a few posts from you.

Very best wishes
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Good to hear you have settled well natty.

It really is a lovely unspoilt part of the world. Some of the houses overlooking the Derwent river have some fantastic views. Fingers crossed for your offer on the house !

All the best

Van
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:23 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Nat xxx
Hi Nat

Great to see your post cant believe its been 7 months :scared:

congrats on the house sounds great any chance of a pic?

Really really hope we will be there soon

Kay x
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Nat xxx

hi
good to hear from someone who's already there-we arrive in hobart on 2nd feb 06-what didn't turn out as expected?
whereabouts is your new house? we plan to rent for 6-12 months to get a feel for the different suburbs-any areas that we should avoid?

ian and helena
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Hi Ian and Helen

sorry its taken me so long to reply to this. Its a great idea to rent for the first few months to get an idea of whats nice. Dont believe everything people tell you when you first get here . There is a big divide between those who live in the eastern shore and those who live on the western shore--both will tell you not to live on the other side !!! We have just bought a house on the eastern shore because its 2 degrees warmer ( honestly !!!) and gets the sun for longer in the evening- nice suburbs on the easter shore are Bellerive, Howrah and Tranmere and on the wester shore- Sandy Bay, West Hobart, Blackmans Bay and Kingston and Taroona are Ok ( Princess Mary comes from Taroona- if you dont know who she is, you soon will- we are all a bit crazy about her here !!!!)

Feel free to PM me with any questions- I might take a while to reply but I will get there eventually !!!!!

Nat xx
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So glad you are loving it there now Natty; I am deeply envious of people moving to Tassie as I love the island so much, but I don't think the circumstances will ever be right for us to move there.
I spent a lot of time in The Glebe, with stunning views of Mount Wellington, and I will always remember how glorious it is to wake up and see the mountain, with the rising sun reflected on it.....sorry, off on my own reminisences!
Have you explored much of Tassie yet, or is that still a treat in store?
Hi Pollyanna

We have been to Freycinet - beautiful and walked to Wineglas Bay, we are going to Bruny Island for Xmas. We have been to Cradle mountain- also beautiful. Havnt been to the north or west coast yet- any recommendations ???

Nat xx
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

HI kay

I would send you a picture but its a 70s nightmare :scared: - i will send pcitures once I have before and after shots !!!!!

Nat xx

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi Nat

Great to see your post cant believe its been 7 months :scared:

congrats on the house sounds great any chance of a pic?

Really really hope we will be there soon

Kay x
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:56 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

HI kay

I would send you a picture but its a 70s nightmare :scared: - i will send pcitures once I have before and after shots !!!!!

Nat xx
LOL fair dos Nat though would love to see it no matter what it looks like.

Have a fantastic christmas on Bruny Island (not been there yet) tell us all about it on your return and if dont speak before have a brilliant new year.

Kay xx
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 12:07 am
superam74

Nat xxx
Congratulations, It's a real heart warmer to hear youv'e overcome the homesickness & are now loving it! well done .