6 months on

Old Jun 27th 2003, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to read you account on your time so far. Straight to the point.

PB, Thankyou also for the straightforward account of your time and your reasons why you are returning to the UK.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to read you account on your time so far. Straight to the point.

PB, Thankyou also for the straightforward account of your time and your reasons why you are returning to the UK.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

OzOgs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 months on

Originally posted by Kath
PB - Did you ever consider moving within Australia eg. Sydney or Melbourne?

After 1 year in Perth I'm not sure about us living here long term and think the Melbourne area might suit us more. Would appreciate your comments.
Hi

we've been in Melbourne for a year now (from Oxford, UK) and after the initial culture shock we really appreciate the enormous diversity of things to do - there's almost always something on or somewhere to go at weekends, and its fantastic for great restaurants, gigs and theatre, sports fans (particularly F1!), and a generally laid back but full lifestyle, even with a toddler. We are within easy driving distance of the beaches and sea in summer and the mountains in winter.

My husband travels extensively with his job and has been to Perth, which we were really interested in, but he considered it a little remote and without the great range of activities outside the city itself, we decided to stay put.

Downsides? It's not very attractive as cities go! (Whatever did they do with all the Victorian buildings??) It's relatively expensive to buy here (we bought as soon as possible while we could still afford to) but our standard of living has improved 100% from the UK, where we thought we were doing OK.

If you're not settled in Perth, its certainly worth a look at Melbourne. Good luck!

Dawn
Old Jun 27th 2003, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

It has been a real pleasure reading these postings. Nice one Diane and Mr Pommie. It is good to read an honest appraisal (Diane's) and the appreciation of it (Mr Pommie). Diane - don't ever be ashamed of where you live (ie that area of Perth) you have come by your abode honestly and need to feel pround of that. I agree with the other poster that it is good to go somewhere where you at least no somebody. I am going to Adelaide as I have some cousins there as I am going on my own. Having read much on this forum (the sensible advice) I am concerned about staying around Adelaide as it sounds like there is a bit of an anti about immigrant workers. May sound naive but is there no legislation regarding this discrimination. I will give it a go and obviously am going with a very open mind. I may have to move to Melborne where there are probably more job opportunities. Either that or pop of to work in Asia, but make sure that I stay at least 2 years out of the 5 (I am a college lecturer/secondary school teacher)

Elaine
Old Jun 27th 2003, 3:09 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Hi

We are coming up for the 6 months mark and just thought I'd give my impressions so for. We are in Perth by the way.

Diane & family
Hi Diane, Glad to hear you are settling in. We have been here four months and we are living in Dianella (renting) but have just put an offer on a house in Ellenbrook (kind of up you way!) We have a 6 year old daughter. If you want to get in touch ever, let me know, it can be hard when the homesickness start creeping in!! My husband is a wood machinist and I do Customer Services (when I can get a job) Jane x
Old Jun 27th 2003, 8:11 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Great Post. This is how things should be, Even ole PB is making perfect sense, good post and good responses, nice.
Old Jun 28th 2003, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
What an great honest post. Lets hope no idiots wreck it.

Just when it looks like a polite thread the "nice" lady turns up and says something "nice"
tut tut
Old Jun 28th 2003, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
What an great honest post. Lets hope no idiots wreck it.

This was said about you in a recent post Dotty couldnt be more true:-

Why do it? Even when you start a thread there's usually some kind of remark to trigger a conflict, then you just blame eveyone else!
Like everyone says time & time again, it's not the negative comments we don't like, it's the manner in which they are delivered.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...400#post850400
Old Jun 29th 2003, 12:56 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hi

Diane & family
Hi Diane,

I got your message thanks and have replied and given you my email address.
Jane x
Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:07 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ellen1
whoops a daisy! idiot on line!!

Do not be too hard on yourself ellen , refugees are never that bright .

Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:53 am
Just Joined

David Ford is an unknown quantity at this point

Diane

I endorse what others have said - a well written and informative posting.

www.pentran.com.au
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

kerrylm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzOgs
Hi

we've been in Melbourne for a year now (from Oxford, UK) and after the initial culture shock we really appreciate the enormous diversity of things to do - there's almost always something on or somewhere to go at weekends, and its fantastic for great restaurants, gigs and theatre, sports fans (particularly F1!), and a generally laid back but full lifestyle, even with a toddler. We are within easy driving distance of the beaches and sea in summer and the mountains in winter.

My husband travels extensively with his job and has been to Perth, which we were really interested in, but he considered it a little remote and without the great range of activities outside the city itself, we decided to stay put.

Downsides? It's not very attractive as cities go! (Whatever did they do with all the Victorian buildings??) It's relatively expensive to buy here (we bought as soon as possible while we could still afford to) but our standard of living has improved 100% from the UK, where we thought we were doing OK.

hi

We are thinking of Melbourne ourselves. Maybe Frankston/Geelong. Any advice or tips on areas would be a great help. What part are you in?
If you're not settled in Perth, its certainly worth a look at Melbourne. Good luck!

Dawn
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

Diane

Great insight and help to all considering the move, so many questions we all want to know and good to hear from one who has crossed over, good luck for your future.

Thanks

-----

I would like to add to Ellen1 and Stoney, you have tried to ruin this post with your bitter remarks, no one else, if you don't like someone, stay away.....please keep this thread clear of this sort of reply as Diane has started a good one here.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by unrefined_mind
Diane

I would like to add to Ellen1 and Stoney, you have tried to ruin this post with your bitter remarks, no one else, if you don't like someone, stay away.....please keep this thread clear of this sort of reply as Diane has started a good one here.

Here, here, here. We constantly get the so called anti-negative posters baiting. Leave whatever issues you may have to one side particularly when we have a series of posts as informative and 'real' as this.

These are the posts I learn the most from - people who have been there (particularly to Perth where I have visited and hope to settle) and who open up to their experiences and feelings. Best of luck to you all.

Martin
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:48 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Hi

We are coming up for the 6 months mark and just thought I'd give my impressions so for. We are in Perth by the way.

Eldest son aged 8's worst dilema. "My friends here aren't as funny as my friends in England". Apart from that he has settled in really well and all the kids at school think he's pretty cool. He does miss his friends in England but has only mentioned it a couple of times so it can't be too bad.

Youngest son aged 4 has totally got into the spirit of things - walks around naked all the time and hardly wears shoes. Has started talking with an Aussie/American drawl.

Our views are:
Don't judge or compare anything - just come and accept and get on with it or else you may as well stay at home.

Take advantage of this site and your penpals and you will have an automatic social life when you get here!!

We bought a house straight away. We couldn't afford much so ended up buying in Clarkson which is a bit dodgy. But we both wanted our own home so that's what we had to do. Anyway we have no regrets at all so far. We are living within of means, have a nice house and don't know if we are just lucky or deaf or blind but we have had no problems at all in Clarkson. It may not be quite as "pristine" as the nicer suburbs but the kids are happy at school and all the people we have met here couldn't be nicer.
I cringe when people ask me where I live but maybe I should be more positive.

We both have jobs - we are just your average run of the mill folk. Hubby a screenprinter and I work in an office. When I weight it up, life is pretty much the same as in England go to work, come home, blah blah but there is not the same pressure. Maybe that's because we don't have to work so hard to get what we want, I don't know - but it's nice.

I miss my mum and friends and the fact that the kids don't see their grandparents is hard but we keep in regular contact, (not quite the same)

Everyone is different and expects different things and have different experiences but I just thought I'd let you know that in our experience maybe if you don't expect too much too soon, it may just turn out okay. It's not all strawberries and cream, there's the odd dash of salt but that's life.

Good luck to all coming and going. No desicion is the wrong desicion.

Diane & family

Yes, this is what this forum needs, more posters from Oz, especially recent arrivals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.