Wikiposts

6 months on

Old Jun 26th 2003, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default 6 months on

Hi

We are coming up for the 6 months mark and just thought I'd give my impressions so for. We are in Perth by the way.

Eldest son aged 8's worst dilema. "My friends here aren't as funny as my friends in England". Apart from that he has settled in really well and all the kids at school think he's pretty cool. He does miss his friends in England but has only mentioned it a couple of times so it can't be too bad.

Youngest son aged 4 has totally got into the spirit of things - walks around naked all the time and hardly wears shoes. Has started talking with an Aussie/American drawl.

Our views are:
Don't judge or compare anything - just come and accept and get on with it or else you may as well stay at home.

Take advantage of this site and your penpals and you will have an automatic social life when you get here!!

We bought a house straight away. We couldn't afford much so ended up buying in Clarkson which is a bit dodgy. But we both wanted our own home so that's what we had to do. Anyway we have no regrets at all so far. We are living within of means, have a nice house and don't know if we are just lucky or deaf or blind but we have had no problems at all in Clarkson. It may not be quite as "pristine" as the nicer suburbs but the kids are happy at school and all the people we have met here couldn't be nicer.
I cringe when people ask me where I live but maybe I should be more positive.

We both have jobs - we are just your average run of the mill folk. Hubby a screenprinter and I work in an office. When I weight it up, life is pretty much the same as in England go to work, come home, blah blah but there is not the same pressure. Maybe that's because we don't have to work so hard to get what we want, I don't know - but it's nice.

I miss my mum and friends and the fact that the kids don't see their grandparents is hard but we keep in regular contact, (not quite the same)

Everyone is different and expects different things and have different experiences but I just thought I'd let you know that in our experience maybe if you don't expect too much too soon, it may just turn out okay. It's not all strawberries and cream, there's the odd dash of salt but that's life.

Good luck to all coming and going. No desicion is the wrong desicion.

Diane & family
Old Jun 26th 2003, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Honest, well written post.

Good luck to you.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 3:44 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months on

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Hi

We are coming up for the 6 months mark and just thought I'd give my impressions so for. We are in Perth by the way.

Eldest son aged 8's worst dilema. "My friends here aren't as funny as my friends in England". Apart from that he has settled in really well and all the kids at school think he's pretty cool. He does miss his friends in England but has only mentioned it a couple of times so it can't be too bad.

Youngest son aged 4 has totally got into the spirit of things - walks around naked all the time and hardly wears shoes. Has started talking with an Aussie/American drawl.

Our views are:
Don't judge or compare anything - just come and accept and get on with it or else you may as well stay at home.

Take advantage of this site and your penpals and you will have an automatic social life when you get here!!

We bought a house straight away. We couldn't afford much so ended up buying in Clarkson which is a bit dodgy. But we both wanted our own home so that's what we had to do. Anyway we have no regrets at all so far. We are living within of means, have a nice house and don't know if we are just lucky or deaf or blind but we have had no problems at all in Clarkson. It may not be quite as "pristine" as the nicer suburbs but the kids are happy at school and all the people we have met here couldn't be nicer.
I cringe when people ask me where I live but maybe I should be more positive.

We both have jobs - we are just your average run of the mill folk. Hubby a screenprinter and I work in an office. When I weight it up, life is pretty much the same as in England go to work, come home, blah blah but there is not the same pressure. Maybe that's because we don't have to work so hard to get what we want, I don't know - but it's nice.

I miss my mum and friends and the fact that the kids don't see their grandparents is hard but we keep in regular contact, (not quite the same)

Everyone is different and expects different things and have different experiences but I just thought I'd let you know that in our experience maybe if you don't expect too much too soon, it may just turn out okay. It's not all strawberries and cream, there's the odd dash of salt but that's life.

Good luck to all coming and going. No desicion is the wrong desicion.

Diane & family

You are a poster who makes this site worth reading , good luck with your new life.
6 months is still early in your new life so I would say you have not scrapped the surface here yet.

Old Jun 26th 2003, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default 6 months on

True it's not a long time, just our impressions so far. I'll do another when a year is up. I've been told 2 years is the timescale to base any major desicisions on. When did you realise this was not for you.?

Diane
Old Jun 26th 2003, 4:00 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
True it's not a long time, just our impressions so far. I'll do another when a year is up. I've been told 2 years is the timescale to base any major desicisions on. When did you realise this was not for you.?

Diane
We took 2 years to settle down here and have just grown tired of Perth and its limatations after 9 years , if you enjoy Clarkson then you have much to look forward too.
Our life here has been a step down in many things but I can see that many who like yourself who just need a home and a paying job will be happy with what is on offer.
My wife has been trying to make me up sticks for years as she is bored of the landscape and the few places of interest here.
We will miss some great friends we have here but having no family in Perth is a minus.

Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by pommie bastard
We took 2 years to settle down here and have just grown tired of Perth and its limatations after 9 years , if you enjoy Clarkson then you have much to look forward too.
Our life here has been a step down in many things but I can see that many who like yourself who just need a home and a paying job will be happy with what is on offer.
My wife has been trying to make me up sticks for years as she is bored of the landscape and the few places of interest here.
We will miss some great friends we have here but having no family in Perth is a minus.

PB - Did you ever consider moving within Australia eg. Sydney or Melbourne?

After 1 year in Perth I'm not sure about us living here long term and think the Melbourne area might suit us more. Would appreciate your comments.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:23 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Kath
PB - Did you ever consider moving within Australia eg. Sydney or Melbourne?

After 1 year in Perth I'm not sure about us living here long term and think the Melbourne area might suit us more. Would appreciate your comments.
I did but had problems trying to convince my wife who said the next move was back home.
Melbourne has more life and more European , its hard knowing where anyone will feel at home , we have never referred to Perth as home its been a long holiday which has gone on to long.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 26th 2003 at 5:33 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

I did but had problems trying to convince my wife who said the next move was back home.
Melbourne has more life and more European , its hard knowing where anyone will feel at home , we have never refered to Perth as home its been a long holiday which has gone on to long.

I can understand how your wife feels. Maybe I need to get back to the UK for a bit to see how I feel, I can't mess our children about too much, we need to make a decision in the next year or two. Have you been back to the UK much in past 9 years?
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Diane & family,
Just to say glad everything is going well; and it must help a lot that the kids are happy!
Maybe I'm being naive, but your comment about life being pretty much the same, but with less pressure rather describes what I'm expecting - or hoping for at least.
Hope things continue to go well - & look forward to reading the next instalment in 6 months time, when hopefully I shall be in Oz too.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:49 pm
Banned

I can understand how your wife feels. Maybe I need to get back to the UK for a bit to see how I feel, I can't mess our children about too much, we need to make a decision in the next year or two. Have you been back to the UK much in past 9 years?

We have been a few times but the wife never wants to come back to Perth so its even more unsettling .
Has I have said before we enjoyed our life in the Uk and most of our family are doing great , we found that though all would ask hows Australia but most cared not about Australia as their lifes are full .
Friends we have here who go back and whinge about the UK has changed for the worse and moan that it was raining a few days are those who family back there care not about stories of big homes and pools.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 26th 2003 at 5:53 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

We have been a few times but the wife never wants to come back to Perth so its even more unsettling .
Has I have said before we enjoyed our life in the Uk and most of our family is doing great , we found that though all would ask hows Australia and most cared not about Australia as their lifes are full .
Friends we have here who go back and whinge about the UK has changed for the worse and moan that it was raining a few days are those who family back there care not about stories of big homes and pools.

Thanks for the comments. Like you we enjoyed our life in the UK, we didn't 'escape' to Perth because of our miserable lives! A few early deaths in the family made us want to get out there and explore the world and we are enjoying the change. I can't help looking long term and in the future I'm sure we'll be back in the UK or over to Melbourne.

Good luck on your return to the UK.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 6:04 pm
Banned

Thanks for the comments. Like you we enjoyed our life in the UK, we didn't 'escape' to Perth because of our miserable lives! A few early deaths in the family made us want to get out there and explore the world and we are enjoying the change. I can't help looking long term and in the future I'm sure we'll be back in the UK or over to Melbourne.

Good luck on your return to the UK.
Thankyou its nice not getting into a pointless debate , good luck to you and your Family.

Old Jun 26th 2003, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

What an great honest post. Lets hope no idiots wreck it.

Good luck to you and your family too.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of

I would just like to add to PBs comments about not having family.

For me this has been a key decision, I have good family in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. I do like the look of Perth but
realistically for a me a single person immigrating to a town where
I have no family nor friends isnt appealing - plus as its around the
size of Adelaide opportunties I think are really limited compared to Melbourne and Sydney.

One thing that amazes me on reading some posts are how people
immigrate without being there having no friends and family neither, my balls are big but not that big.

Anyway good read Diane - look forward to reading
your next post.

Cheers
--

Gee
Melby 04
Old Jun 26th 2003, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
What an great honest post. Lets hope no idiots wreck it.

Good luck to you and your family too.
whoops a daisy! idiot on line!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.