Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 Month Visa Hop

6 Month Visa Hop

Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:06 pm
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough
Question 6 Month Visa Hop

Evening all!

Just a quick question that I want to ask in the hope that someone may have had some experience of and/or may know the answer.

I'm sure that it must have been asked on here before, but I can't find it anywhere.

My girlfriend and I emigrate to Australia on the 1st June and her Mum and Dad want to eventually emigrate over on the contributary parent visa. However we have heard that we have to be in Australia for 2 years before they can do this.

In the mean time, would they be able to get a six month tourist visa, hop to NZ for a week when it runs out to renew it, then keep doing this until the 2 years are up? As long as when they are entering Oz, they can prove they have the funds to support their "holiday".

A reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:11 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Post Re: 6 Month Visa Hop

hiya, molloymj

they might get wise & refyuse them entry.

I'm sure that there will be some time limint on how long they can be in teh country in 1 off 12 month period.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Month Visa Hop

Originally Posted by molloymj
My girlfriend and I emigrate to Australia on the 1st June and her Mum and Dad want to eventually emigrate over on the contributary parent visa. However we have heard that we have to be in Australia for 2 years before they can do this.

In the mean time, would they be able to get a six month tourist visa, hop to NZ for a week when it runs out to renew it, then keep doing this until the 2 years are up? As long as when they are entering Oz, they can prove they have the funds to support their "holiday".
Definitely not!

DIMIA get very upset if they find people trying to establish de-facto residence in Australia on tourist status and would most likely refuse them entry at some stage.

Why not go back to the UK for 6 months of the year (the northern summer?).

Or look at the Retirement visa if they want an interim visa solution to live in Australia before PR is possible (although this has its risks if you are selling up in the UK without a guarantee of PR in Australia).

Jeremy
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:42 am
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Definitely not!

DIMIA get very upset if they find people trying to establish de-facto residence in Australia on tourist status and would most likely refuse them entry at some stage.

Why not go back to the UK for 6 months of the year (the northern summer?).

Or look at the Retirement visa if they want an interim visa solution to live in Australia before PR is possible (although this has its risks if you are selling up in the UK without a guarantee of PR in Australia).

Jeremy
Cheers Mark and Jeremy, at least that's that one cleared up!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Hi all,
On a similar note, though not related to any permanent move, I'm going out on a working holiday visa in June and my boyfriend was planning to get a six-month tourist visa, return to England for a couple of months, then get another normal 3-month visitor visa to come out again in February with my parents, who are also planning a holiday.
It's not any kind of scam for reisdency - just a couple of longer-than-normal holidays.
Will he have any problem getting a 6-month visa followed a couple of months later by a three-month one?
Thanks,
Dianne
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Hi all,
On a similar note, though not related to any permanent move, I'm going out on a working holiday visa in June and my boyfriend was planning to get a six-month tourist visa, return to England for a couple of months, then get another normal 3-month visitor visa to come out again in February with my parents, who are also planning a holiday.
It's not any kind of scam for reisdency - just a couple of longer-than-normal holidays.
Will he have any problem getting a 6-month visa followed a couple of months later by a three-month one?
Thanks,
Dianne
Impossible to answer on an online forum. It depends on:

- the validity period and conditions of his 'regular' tourist visa
- he can't get an ETA while his regular tourist visa is in effect
- what an immigration officer is going to think on arrival (the rule is - they expect people to be *living* somewhere else)

If this is really important - he should get some professional advice.

Jeremy