Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 month for an Electrical Licence???

6 month for an Electrical Licence???

Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

dingdong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 month for an Electrical Licence???

My husband e-mailed some bloke in Brisbane who informed him it will take 6 weeks to get his paperwork looked at, 8 weeks to do a course and then could be another 12 weeks to get the licence. Does anybody know if this is correct? It seems ridiculous that it could take that long. Anybody out there have any info that you think could be useful.

Cheers
The Dingdong's
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:50 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 month for an Electrical Licence???

Why will it take the six weeks to get paperwork looked at? Havent the TRA already done that, or are you going as a different visa to Skilled??

I have heard that it takes a while to do various exams and get a licence and stuff. We're hoping it wont take too long as hubby will be going into this trade if/when we get there...

Let me know if you hear anything different.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:17 pm
GCH
Forum Regular

GCH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridiej
Why will it take the six weeks to get paperwork looked at? Havent the TRA already done that, or are you going as a different visa to Skilled??

I have heard that it takes a while to do various exams and get a licence and stuff. We're hoping it wont take too long as hubby will be going into this trade if/when we get there...

Let me know if you hear anything different.
I have heard the same as the Dingdongs.

On the forum go to the immigration section and in the oz and nz section look for the feed "electrician emigrating", that might give you more info.

Greg
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

hi babes,

can't believe you are getting called the 'dingdongs'? will you ever live it down in the toon, you two nutters...

fits you's both perfect loves...

tell dong hope the match was a good un, and ding, love you loads mate xxx

sorry i had no info re the electrician's licence, i'll keep lookin...
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:00 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dingdong
My husband e-mailed some bloke in Brisbane who informed him it will take 6 weeks to get his paperwork looked at, 8 weeks to do a course and then could be another 12 weeks to get the licence. Does anybody know if this is correct? It seems ridiculous that it could take that long. Anybody out there have any info that you think could be useful.

Cheers
The Dingdong's
do a search for baldbutts as he put all the info about the exams on here. but i hope it isn't 6 months as this is a bit excessive for a trade we've been doing for years already
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bridiej

Yes, hubby has TRA certificate, apparently this has nothing to do with getting a licience, you need to start all over again when you get out there, what a f*** on, I've just had a look at baldbutts comments and they are really helpful although they are for folk going to Perth and it is completely different in Queensland but he gives a couple of good tips.

Good luck with the TRA, think hubby's only took about 3 weeks so shouldnt be too much longer now.

See ya,
Dingdong.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Hey Honeybob,

Calmed down yet??? dont worry about the name thing, dont reackon you have owt to worry about.

Hope work wasnt too bad with the evil nursy sister, just think in hopefully 4-6 months you'll be able to tell her to ram it!

Love to ee-or and ee-oretts
love ya
The Dingas xxxxxx
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

hi ding, hi dong, hi the dong babies!

work was a good un, told sis bout plans to move to australia, she is my new best mate and said, i quote, 'i'll miss you honeybun!'... honestly ding, i joke not!

so plain sailed the shift.... should check this woman's thyroid levels!

anc sending new letter of determination thing, another 5 days or so, then we are posting, phoned old sis re last reference, it's on it's way...

light at the end of the tunnel...

we'll get there hopefully, the dingas, honeybob, eeyore and the honeybobettes! scissor sisters should be first track played at celebration party love, remember london weekend, blissful... oh, and how could i forget, footloose for jules and kevin b freak!!!! just to see you wee yourself!

love ya loads,

honeybob xxx
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

there was a thread the other day (Electrician emigrating) someone wrote the whole process and time scale of the course and paperwork. ive just started the course. although its 8 weeks its not eight weeks in a row so takes more like 3 months
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:09 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

It just took me over 9 months to get licenced for wall and floor tiling!!!!!!
I didn't have to learn the latest regs or do a course on cpr either.
The TRA is just for starters you go through the whole process again before you get to work legally.
You can find work while your waiting for the licence, I'm sure one of the many sparkies will enlighten you
Good luck
Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

Its all different every were.....my hubby is a sparkie and we came to Perth 3/6/04..He tried to get work working under some1 elses license while he waited 4 his exam..but they wunt touch him till he had his own license....and he got his license 2 weeks ago.....and by all accounts thats v.good.....1 thing we did do was b4 we left. we sent the licensing board micks paper work to review(they have to do this to c if ur qualified enough,just to sit the exam...)Well they only review every tues morn every 2 weeks......and takes a week to do...so by the time we got here,that bit was done with,as soon as he got here,he phoned to c if he was sucssefull(hes been a sparkie almost 16 years )And after the fee (yes u have to pay!!!)THey said he had enough exsperience (thanku very much )So he put in 4 the next exam date......Theory...and more money to pay 4 it........At the same time of this he put in 4 his practical.....as he dint want t o waste time.....and went on the fact that hed pass....luckily he did,so he only had to wait 3 weeks for his practical.....and then he had to pay 4 that........after he done that ......he had to wait a week....and again he passed..(only just)..and went to get his license..he had to pay again just to get a card saying he was now a qualified sparkie....haha
So if u work it out and think ahead,and get as much done as u can b4 u leave and read up on when they sit there exams...it mite not take as long....Phone the licensing board...c what u can do b4 u leave......phone the college were he has to go and check out the date they sit 4 exams..as micks only sat ..here and there....as i say different state...but it mite be worth looking at !!!
natasha x x
We can now sit back...well i can..as hes working and i can now go shopping
Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:58 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingdong
Hi Bridiej

Yes, hubby has TRA certificate, apparently this has nothing to do with getting a licience, you need to start all over again when you get out there, what a f*** on, I've just had a look at baldbutts comments and they are really helpful although they are for folk going to Perth and it is completely different in Queensland but he gives a couple of good tips.

Good luck with the TRA, think hubby's only took about 3 weeks so shouldnt be too much longer now.

See ya,
Dingdong.

THREE WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky you, they're now taking at least three MONTHS, and that's with the fast tracking!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bridiej
THREE WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky you, they're now taking at least three MONTHS, and that's with the fast tracking!
I ment thats when we got here..... it took us 8 months from start to finish with the sub class 136
Natasha