457 in WA

Old May 15th 2006, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default 457 in WA

Hi

I have just been offered a job on a 457 visa for WA and have read the restrictions that apply at the top of this forum.

I wonderd if there was anyone out there that is actually out in WA on a 457 who could give me some guidance.

I have 2 boys so need to find out about school fees.

Entitlement to medicare. As I am not eligible how much am I looking at to get myself and family covered.

FIRB restrictions on purchasing a property

How easy is it to apply for a PR

Details on the take breaks available to temporary residence

I know these questions have probably been asked before but I am still in shock from the phone call.

Thanks

Debs
Old May 15th 2006, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

OBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really nice
Default Re: 457 in WA

I'm going to WA on a 457 with my wife and kids don't believe everything you read on here, I'm going to work I will pm you later today with all the answers you need.
Old May 15th 2006, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the job offer

From my knowledge school fees in WA are covered. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Happy reading.........

buying house on 457 visa
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371113

medicals on 457
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372248

457 visa processing time
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371285

temp to Permanent Visa
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363453

Anybody on a 457 visa ....?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363725

457 questions
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358422

sponsorship-PR or 457
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=457

Average relocation costs?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=457

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
Hi

I have just been offered a job on a 457 visa for WA and have read the restrictions that apply at the top of this forum.

I wonderd if there was anyone out there that is actually out in WA on a 457 who could give me some guidance.

Entitlement to medicare. As I am not eligible how much am I looking at to get myself and family covered.

I know these questions have probably been asked before but I am still in shock from the phone call.

Thanks

Debs
Old May 15th 2006, 6:22 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
Hi

Thanks

Debs
Hi Debs
Pretty sure it is the same for most States except NSW, there are no fees for public schools.

Medicare - You should be covered by the reciprocal agreement which is fine. I was not. Your employer is "obliged" to cover your Health Inusrance needs (mine took out MBF Overseas cover for me)

FIRB - I found no issues being on a 457 but I do think there are some. Their web site should help.

My 457 employer got me in as PR via ENS within 12 months. If I could have got PR myself I would have done so.

Not sure on tax breaks - I didn't find any but you may be able to get the LAFHA (Living Away From Home Allowance) if you are renting. I bought a house straight away as I was confident of staying permanently and getting PR.

Hope that helps

Andrew
Old May 15th 2006, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Just a comment about health insurance - I just responded on another thread. Your sponsor/employer is actually not obliged to provide you with health insurance but it is in their interest (they are liable for medical cost to the Government) and yours for them to provide it. Some employers actually make it a contractual requirement that a visa holder take it out - this is a second class solution. The cost for family coverage would seem to be around $4,000pa for medical and hospital and another $1,000 pa for dental, optical etc., So, not a small cost and one you should sort out with the employer before committing.
Old May 15th 2006, 2:07 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Fardell....the sponsor is not obliged to provide health cover.
This changed a while ago so maybe after Andrew got his visa.

Disagree in that from what I have seen and also reading on here the sponsors are throwing the responsibility / cost onto the visa holders. Second class solution it might be but it is what I see happening.

Agree with the cost too. Mine was just over 300 bucks a month for family visitors cover. May have gone up a bit now though.