Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 VISA - should I renew my passport before applying?

457 VISA - should I renew my passport before applying?

Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

PorkyDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 VISA - should I renew my passport before applying?

I'm about to apply for my 457 VISA and have realised that my passport expires next year. I also have my chest x-ray booked for next week.

Should I renew my pasport before I send off my visa application form/get my x-ray? or if I use this passport and renew later, will I be issued a new passport number and cause problems further down the line?

Any advice very welcome!!

Dave.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:27 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: 457 VISA - should I renew my passport before applying?

Originally Posted by PorkyDave
I'm about to apply for my 457 VISA and have realised that my passport expires next year. I also have my chest x-ray booked for next week.

Should I renew my pasport before I send off my visa application form/get my x-ray? or if I use this passport and renew later, will I be issued a new passport number and cause problems further down the line?

Any advice very welcome!!

Dave.
My passport ran out whilst i was on a 457. It's no dramas really. You can either just keep your old passport (which the british embassy in Canberra return to you) to show your visa or go into a dimia office in your city in OZ and queue and queue and queue for a new label!

But to sum up it's only a minor hassle not a major drama in my opinion
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

PorkyDave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjonboy
My passport ran out whilst i was on a 457. It's no dramas really. You can either just keep your old passport (which the british embassy in Canberra return to you) to show your visa or go into a dimia office in your city in OZ and queue and queue and queue for a new label!

But to sum up it's only a minor hassle not a major drama in my opinion

Thanks for the reply. The difference here is that I am yet to apply and am not sure if I should put my existing passport number on the form as I will have a new passport by the time I get on the plane!!

The same applies to the X-Ray as I assuem they will take a note of my passport number when I get this done - I've been told to take the passport with me.

Dave.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would get the new passport first. Don't know what happens about the medical though. I think they only use it to confirm who you are. So if you use the current one for the med and then get it renewed before submitting application. You will get the old one back so you can copy the details of the old one and explain the situation.

A lot easier in the long run.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:38 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'd gor for the renewal. It will be cheaper and easier to do in the UK and the visa stamp will be in the passport you use for the next ten years. Plus you'll get a new photo of what you look like now - may be useful as ID on first arrival to Oz.