Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I need help and advice pls???

I need help and advice pls???

Old Jan 25th 2005, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Tracy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need help and advice pls???

I am so confused with all this residency and visa stuff. Well.. heres my story and if anyone can help that would be great. I am a Kiwi, born and lived in N.Z until I was 18, I went to the U.K. and ended up living their for 20 years, married a Yorkshire man and have two daughters. We came to live in Australia in March last year. Since my hubby is 41 we wanted to just get here the quickest way we could. He got a 5 year family migration visa. The kids and I are fine, as I made them N.Z citizens. Our decision is, do we just renew his visa when the time is up or do we go for residency?? We have looked into the residency thing and from what I can understand, if he does apply for residency, the kids and I might as well be tagged onto it, but I just don't know what is the best way to do it. A lot of people have said the skilled one but I'm not so sure it is, even if it is we have looked into the points and are short by 10. I have family that live here as New Zealanders who are looking into residency also, they could sponsor us once they have residency then we would have enough points. I just wondered if anyone knows of a better way to apply for residency rather than the skilled one.
Thanks to anyone that replies... Tracy
Old Jan 25th 2005, 10:56 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: I need help and advice pls???

Hi Tracy - trying posting this on the NZ forum (this is OZ), probably get better info there
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi Tracy - trying posting this on the NZ forum (this is OZ), probably get better info there

Thanks for your reply, but I am in Oz???? I had to read over what I had typed, thinking I hadn't put that I was in Australia at the moment, we have been since March last year!!!! sorry if I didn't explain myself properly..
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tracy2005
Thanks for your reply, but I am in Oz???? I had to read over what I had typed, thinking I hadn't put that I was in Australia at the moment, we have been since March last year!!!! sorry if I didn't explain myself properly..
Hi Tracy have a look at the Dimia web site here is the link hope it helps

Debs xxxx
http://www.immi.gov.au/sponsor/partner_permanent.htm
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am so confused with all this residency and visa stuff. Well.. heres my story and if anyone can help that would be great. I am a Kiwi, born and lived in N.Z until I was 18, I went to the U.K. and ended up living their for 20 years, married a Yorkshire man and have two daughters. We came to live in Australia in March last year. Since my hubby is 41 we wanted to just get here the quickest way we could. He got a 5 year family migration visa. The kids and I are fine, as I made them N.Z citizens. Our decision is, do we just renew his visa when the time is up or do we go for residency?? We have looked into the residency thing and from what I can understand, if he does apply for residency, the kids and I might as well be tagged onto it, but I just don't know what is the best way to do it. A lot of people have said the skilled one but I'm not so sure it is, even if it is we have looked into the points and are short by 10.
Tracy
You need to get PR. Your husband could find himself in a difficult situation long term on his visa (the 461) if you were to die for example, with a tenuous status in Australia and no right to go to NZ.

Your children will likely also find themselves disadvantaged in later life through not having Australian citizenship, and to get this they need PR first.

Once your husband turns 45 things get more difficult.

Your relatives may be able to sponsor already. They need to check if they are 'eligible' NZ citizens or not:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1162.pdf

If they are 'eligible' they are normally treated more or less as if they are permanent residents.

An alternative may be sponsorship from his employer (or yours) if the criteria for employer nomination are met.

I'd suggest you get some professional advice from an agent who is well-versed in the situation for NZ citizens in Australia, and the options available. Not all agents know much about this so choose well.

A good agent is more likely to guide you to the best visa option for your circumstances. Ask for recommendations.

Jeremy
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Tracy
You need to get PR. Your husband could find himself in a difficult situation long term on his visa (the 461) if you were to die for example, with a tenuous status in Australia and no right to go to NZ.

Your children will likely also find themselves disadvantaged in later life through not having Australian citizenship, and to get this they need PR first.

Once your husband turns 45 things get more difficult.

Your relatives may be able to sponsor already. They need to check if they are 'eligible' NZ citizens or not:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1162.pdf

If they are 'eligible' they are normally treated more or less as if they are permanent residents.

An alternative may be sponsorship from his employer (or yours) if the criteria for employer nomination are met.

I'd suggest you get some professional advice from an agent who is well-versed in the situation for NZ citizens in Australia, and the options available. Not all agents know much about this so choose well.

A good agent is more likely to guide you to the best visa option for your circumstances. Ask for recommendations.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy

Thanks a lot for all the info.. much appreciated! Yes I think you are right to get in touch with an agent. Like I say, its all so confusing which is the best way to go. I do have N.Z. family who now live here.. they are going to go through with applying for residency then they can sponsor us. But as you know, time is ticking away for my hubby, not sure when my family are going to start on with it either!!!!! I wonder with me being a N.Z. citizen if I could sponsor him. I'll have to look into it more, its just so hard to understand it all.... anyway thanks for replying..

Tracy
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeremy

Thanks a lot for all the info.. much appreciated! Yes I think you are right to get in touch with an agent. Like I say, its all so confusing which is the best way to go. I do have N.Z. family who now live here.. they are going to go through with applying for residency then they can sponsor us.
As I said - if they are 'eligible' NZ citizens they may be able to sponsor straight away. Read form 1162 on the link provided.

But as you know, time is ticking away for my hubby, not sure when my family are going to start on with it either!!!!! I wonder with me being a N.Z. citizen if I could sponsor him.
Not unless you're an 'eligible' NZ citizen - form 1162 ...

Find a good agent. Maybe get in touch with IARC and ask for a referral to a competent practitioner who understands thoroughly the situations with NZ citizens and 461 holders looking for permanent residence.
http://www.iarc.asn.au

Or ask for recommendations on the immigration forum. Just be aware that not all agents know much about the situation for NZ citizens as it's not a common problem. Make sure you choose one that does.

Jeremy