457 visa

Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

gormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nice
Default 457 visa

Hi everybody my wife who is a nurse of 22 years experience has contacted a international recruitment and relocation company from a ad in a nursing magazine they are based in London and Melbourne they say there should be no problem sorting out a sponsered 457 visa which i could go on to any hints /advice would be really helpful Thanks in Advance
Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa

Originally Posted by gormac
Hi everybody my wife who is a nurse of 22 years experience has contacted a international recruitment and relocation company from a ad in a nursing magazine they are based in London and Melbourne they say there should be no problem sorting out a sponsered 457 visa which i could go on to any hints /advice would be really helpful Thanks in Advance
Lots of nurses have had problems on a 457 visa, mainly when the job doesn't work out.

Why is the employer not prepared to sponsor for a permanent visa?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:38 pm
Graceyg

graceyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we originally came out on a 457 visa and strongly wouldn't recommend it! Things turned sour with the employer and it was awful being tied to them for 2 years! Made our start in Oz a very difficult one! Its hard enough starting a new life without the added agro! Try and go for permanent before you get here, I know it might mean longer in the UK, but it will be so much better for you in the long run.

Cheers
Charlotte
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

gormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nice

Originally Posted by graceyg
Hi we originally came out on a 457 visa and strongly wouldn't recommend it! Things turned sour with the employer and it was awful being tied to them for 2 years! Made our start in Oz a very difficult one! Its hard enough starting a new life without the added agro! Try and go for permanent before you get here, I know it might mean longer in the UK, but it will be so much better for you in the long run.

Cheers
Charlotte
Hi Charlotte thanks for reply surly every nurse who has went out on a 457 visa has,nt turned out a nightmare? We really don,t want to be in UK for next 2 years by the way (hope you don,t think i,m being cheeky but how long did your paper work take from start to finish? , and have you PR visa now? Is there any way to sus out the place Iwould be working at?,was your problem the work place or the people? Hope to hear from you soon Thanks Again Paula
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gormac
Hi Charlotte thanks for reply surly every nurse who has went out on a 457 visa has,nt turned out a nightmare? We really don,t want to be in UK for next 2 years by the way (hope you don,t think i,m being cheeky but how long did your paper work take from start to finish? , and have you PR visa now? Is there any way to sus out the place Iwould be working at?,was your problem the work place or the people? Hope to hear from you soon Thanks Again Paula
Not every nurse on a 457 has had a nightmare experience. But some have. So why on earth do you want to take the risk?

There's absolutely no way you can "sus out" a potential job from the far side of the world. With most permanent visas, your insurance is that if the job doesn't work out, you can leave. With a 457 you are chained to the employer. Makes a difference.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future

I am a newly qualified nurse and have been here now on a 457 for three months. Job is working out really well, my visa is sponsored by Northern Sydney and Central Coast Area Health. Thing is every area is crying out for nurses so I see no reason that if you are unhappy with one employer that you cannot seek another sponsorship and move. You can also apply for permanent residency once you get here and at least you can do all the waiting over here. I am not tied to them for 2 years or any other amount of time, I would just need to find another sponsor if I decided to leave them.

Many people on here try and dissuade from the 457 but I can honestly say that we have had no problems. My partner has found work easily as a Gardener and all is good.

Wishing you much luck.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 10:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by shonalouise
I am a newly qualified nurse and have been here now on a 457 for three months. Job is working out really well, my visa is sponsored by Northern Sydney and Central Coast Area Health. Thing is every area is crying out for nurses so I see no reason that if you are unhappy with one employer that you cannot seek another sponsorship and move. You can also apply for permanent residency once you get here and at least you can do all the waiting over here. I am not tied to them for 2 years or any other amount of time, I would just need to find another sponsor if I decided to leave them.

Many people on here try and dissuade from the 457 but I can honestly say that we have had no problems. My partner has found work easily as a Gardener and all is good.
You would have 28 days to find another sponsor if you lost your job. And there are other problems 457 visa holders have encountered, such as if they have a child born in Australia (no Australian citizenship for the child, no maternity benefits either, for starters).

Yes you can apply for a permanent visa but that doesn't mean you will get one. There have been cases where someone in the family of a 457 visa holder has got sick after arriving in Australia, and this can lead to whole family's permanent visa application being refused.

It's a minefield. Be careful.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
You would have 28 days to find another sponsor if you lost your job. And there are other problems 457 visa holders have encountered, such as if they have a child born in Australia (no Australian citizenship for the child, no maternity benefits either, for starters).

Yes you can apply for a permanent visa but that doesn't mean you will get one. There have been cases where someone in the family of a 457 visa holder has got sick after arriving in Australia, and this can lead to whole family's permanent visa application being refused.

It's a minefield. Be careful.
To be fair I am sure that there have been plenty of people who have gotten sick in the length of time it takes to wait for PM. If you're gonna come up with problems such as that, then they can happen anywhere. Whether you were in Oz or UK PM would still be refused. I would rather be sick and sent home than never have come here at all.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:24 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by shonalouise
To be fair I am sure that there have been plenty of people who have gotten sick in the length of time it takes to wait for PM. If you're gonna come up with problems such as that, then they can happen anywhere. Whether you were in Oz or UK PM would still be refused. I would rather be sick and sent home than never have come here at all.
You've forgotten that permanent employer nominated visas get priority and often don't take that long. Same goes for general skilled applications with STNI or MODL.

And not everybody would happily uproot themselves if they think there is a prospect of being sent home.

Family breakdown is one of the other situations that happens and leaves people in a mess. Agents see that one all the time too, but on a temporary visa there's usually no real solution other than to go home.

But hey - it's your life, your choice.

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 13th 2006 at 11:30 am.