Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expired British passports and tranferring visa "stamps"

Expired British passports and tranferring visa "stamps"

Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expired British passports and tranferring visa "stamps"

Just thought I'd post a note on this as there is a bit of contradictory advice around. (Even DIMIA got it wrong today when I called them).

My daughter's passport had expired and was replaced pretty efficiently by the British High Commission. We still had the visa sticker in the old passport however and had been told that although you can carry two passports around (the old one with the original visa sticker plus the new one), this can cause delays at the airport. We also have enough documentation to worry about and didn't want a second passport to look after.

Called DIMIA and they said to take it along to their office in Perth. (411 Wellington Street next to Myers (Forrest Place) on the first floor). But she was adamant that it would cost us $60. (A chap I spoke to at DIMIA last week said it would be free).

Anyhow we went along and were faced by an enormous queue for reception. But we moved rapidly up the queue, got a very helpful response from the receptionist who told us that for 136 visas, there is no charge but for 155(?) (didn't even know there was a 155 - did I mis-hear?) visas there was a charge. Not sure about other classes.

Anyhow she gave us a ticket, I just parked my backside on a chair and we were called to the counter. Job done in 10 minutes - all free.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired British passports and tranferring visa "stamps"

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Just thought I'd post a note on this as there is a bit of contradictory advice around. (Even DIMIA got it wrong today when I called them).

My daughter's passport had expired and was replaced pretty efficiently by the British High Commission. We still had the visa sticker in the old passport however and had been told that although you can carry two passports around (the old one with the original visa sticker plus the new one), this can cause delays at the airport. We also have enough documentation to worry about and didn't want a second passport to look after.

Called DIMIA and they said to take it along to their office in Perth. (411 Wellington Street next to Myers (Forrest Place) on the first floor). But she was adamant that it would cost us $60. (A chap I spoke to at DIMIA last week said it would be free).

Anyhow we went along and were faced by an enormous queue for reception. But we moved rapidly up the queue, got a very helpful response from the receptionist who told us that for 136 visas, there is no charge but for 155(?) (didn't even know there was a 155 - did I mis-hear?) visas there was a charge. Not sure about other classes.
The DIMA "advice line" gets this wrong all the time. There is no fee for re-stamping visas other than for a Resident Return Visa (subclass 155).

The receptionist was correct.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough

Is it right that the visa can only be transferred when you are in Australia rather than in England?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micnic
Is it right that the visa can only be transferred when you are in Australia rather than in England?
The Australian High Commission in London is (anecdotally at least) more reluctant to do this than DIMA offices in Australia. But they must have to do so in cases where passports are lost, for example. Ask them if it's important.