Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 and maternity costs

457 and maternity costs

Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:52 pm
I am not a troll!

Location: Yorkshire to Melbourne (2007) Melbourne to Sydney (2008) Here to stay!
earlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really nice
Default 457 and maternity costs

I will be coming to Oz on a 457 for 2 years. We may decide to have another baby during those 2 years - how much will we be charged for this given my status?

I am British; my wife is Japanese but a permanent UK resident.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:56 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 and maternity costs

Originally Posted by earlneath
I will be coming to Oz on a 457 for 2 years. We may decide to have another baby during those 2 years - how much will we be charged for this given my status?

I am British; my wife is Japanese but a permanent UK resident.
Hi
We are on a 457 and had kiddie #2 whilst here in Sydney.
We did not have to pay for anything, it was all done on the public system no questions asked.
We did have to pay some small amounts for blood tests, visits to the doctor etc during the pregnancy, but only the difference between the doctors fee and the medicare rebate.
Hope that helps!
Steve
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:21 am
I am not a troll!

Location: Yorkshire to Melbourne (2007) Melbourne to Sydney (2008) Here to stay!
earlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really nice

Originally Posted by stevemich
Hi
We are on a 457 and had kiddie #2 whilst here in Sydney.
We did not have to pay for anything, it was all done on the public system no questions asked.
We did have to pay some small amounts for blood tests, visits to the doctor etc during the pregnancy, but only the difference between the doctors fee and the medicare rebate.
Hope that helps!
Steve
Thanks Steve that certainly does. I am wondering if that is because of a reciprocal healthcare arrangement with the UK and whether that would apply in our case given my wife's nationality. But I expect not many on this forum may know the answer!

Cheers
Paul
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:29 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by earlneath
Thanks Steve that certainly does. I am wondering if that is because of a reciprocal healthcare arrangement with the UK and whether that would apply in our case given my wife's nationality. But I expect not many on this forum may know the answer!

Cheers
Paul
I would have thought that your wife being a permanent resident of the UK would allow for the reciprocal deal with Oz - but do not quote me on that!
JAJ may take a look at this thread and provide a comment - he seems to know his stuff.

Good luck
Steve
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that your wife being a permanent resident of the UK would allow for the reciprocal deal with Oz - but do not quote me on that!
Reciprocal Medicare has a lot of grey areas. This is one of them - no guarantee of anything.

Why isn't employer committed to paying for private healthcare?

Also bear in mind that if you have a baby in Australia on a 457 then the child is not an Australian citizen by birth. Child normally wouldn't even be British unless one parent is born or naturalised in the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Bermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the rough

Regarding JAJ's comment about child not being British unless a parent is, can anybody clarify my situation for me.

I was born in Africa to British parents (both parents born in UK). Moved back to UK when I was two, where I lived until I was 26. I've been living abroad since then (now 32).

If I had a child here would they have any rights to British citizanship (assuming the father isn't british)?

I've never done anything to become naturalised as British, but do have a UK passport which states my nationality as British.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:33 am
Full Throttle

Originally Posted by JAJ
Reciprocal Medicare has a lot of grey areas. This is one of them - no guarantee of anything.

Why isn't employer committed to paying for private healthcare?

Also bear in mind that if you have a baby in Australia on a 457 then the child is not an Australian citizen by birth. Child normally wouldn't even be British unless one parent is born or naturalised in the UK.

Cannot help with the complete answer as I have a British wife, but oddly enough I was born in Africa to British parents and moved back to the UK when I was 3... them came here when I was 30...

I hear the Twilight Zone music somehwere...

But to conclude.. Our daughter who was born here is 100% British as we are on a temp visa...
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermuda Girl
I was born in Africa to British parents (both parents born in UK). Moved back to UK when I was two, where I lived until I was 26. I've been living abroad since then (now 32).

If I had a child here would they have any rights to British citizanship (assuming the father isn't british)?

I've never done anything to become naturalised as British, but do have a UK passport which states my nationality as British.
You are British by descent which means that any children born outside the UK and British territories will not automatically be British citizens unless they can get that status from the father.

HOWEVER, you can in certain circumstances apply for children to be registered as British citizens:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/app...?view=Standard

In reading this leaflet, concentrate on paragraphs 4, 8, 9B, 9D, 10 (very important), 11, 14 and 15.

If you are British by descent you could not have been naturalised as British anyway.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:18 am
JAJ
Retired

Our daughter who was born here is 100% British as we are on a temp visa...
If she's born in Australia then she is British by descent which may affect your future grandchildren's status if they are also born outside the UK.