Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Check, House Sold Check now favourite wine

457 Check, House Sold Check now favourite wine

Old May 20th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Check, House Sold Check now favourite wine

Hi, we are here on a 457. Employer (Government) paid all our moving expenses inc container and flights. We could not get here on a perm visa as our skills are not on the list. Hubby is too old, various other restrictions. For us it has been a way of getting here quickly and giving us breathing space to weigh up the situation and possibilities from this end. As it is, hopefully hubby will be sponsored permanently after 2 years working here. His employers are fully behind him on this and we have a good lawyer on the case.

If that fails, they will continue to employ him on the 457 while I study to obtain a qualification that is on the list. Either way, for our circumstances, it was the best move for us.

That said, I have heard of people being brought here on 457 visas and suffering terribly under awful employers. We are the lucky ones and it looks like you might be too. Good luck with your future, its not all doom and gloom on here
Old May 20th 2010, 4:30 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danaamatrix
Because it has been three weeks from wanting me to come to actually coming. We found the 457......Oh hell to it, why am I bothering!

As a moderator you may want to either answer the original question I asked, go to cutting your lawn or just ban me from this bloody forum as I usually find these forums as good as its moderators and as you may want to notice you have answered NOTHING of any use.... NOTHING!!!
one word mate....decaf!!!!!!
Old May 20th 2010, 4:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hi, we are here on a 457. Employer (Government) paid all our moving expenses inc container and flights. We could not get here on a perm visa as our skills are not on the list. Hubby is too old, various other restrictions. For us it has been a way of getting here quickly and giving us breathing space to weigh up the situation and possibilities from this end. As it is, hopefully hubby will be sponsored permanently after 2 years working here. His employers are fully behind him on this and we have a good lawyer on the case.

If that fails, they will continue to employ him on the 457 while I study to obtain a qualification that is on the list. Either way, for our circumstances, it was the best move for us.

That said, I have heard of people being brought here on 457 visas and suffering terribly under awful employers. We are the lucky ones and it looks like you might be too. Good luck with your future, its not all doom and gloom on here
Yes, understand all that and has some similarities to my own situation. I am over 45 (the magical upper limit....ish!!!) but we can prove that no one younger can fulfill the role I do due to the experience and qualifications criteria of the role. I am 48 now and we want to change from 457 to PR before I am 50 as that is when it certainly does get a bit more tricky.
Old May 20th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is 52 but, like you, has skills not found in Australia (bloody useless at home though ) Fingers crossed for us all.
Old May 20th 2010, 8:12 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Because it has been three weeks from wanting me to come to actually coming. We found the 457......Oh hell to it, why am I bothering!

As a moderator you may want to either answer the original question I asked, go to cutting your lawn or just ban me from this bloody forum as I usually find these forums as good as its moderators and as you may want to notice you have answered NOTHING of any use.... NOTHING!!!
Well said IMO.

Many of us choose to go through the 457 option because of many different reasons. Yes we are not going to benefit financially, we have a risk of losing our jobs and having to leave Australia, no family benefit etc etc the list goes on.

JAJ should try giving helpful advice to members of this forum rather than spouting off about how we are all stupid on taking the 457 route. Let us make our own decisions. I think most of us are grown up enough to do that on here.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by furkew
Well said IMO.

Many of us choose to go through the 457 option because of many different reasons. Yes we are not going to benefit financially, we have a risk of losing our jobs and having to leave Australia, no family benefit etc etc the list goes on.

JAJ should try giving helpful advice to members of this forum rather than spouting off about how we are all stupid on taking the 457 route. Let us make our own decisions. I think most of us are grown up enough to do that on here.
Here Here,

For us the 457 is our ONLY route.

We do not qualify for any other visa.

At least it gives us a chance at experiencing Australia and a possibility of PR at the end of that.
Old May 21st 2010, 11:41 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by BriBri UK
Here Here,

For us the 457 is our ONLY route.

We do not qualify for any other visa.

At least it gives us a chance at experiencing Australia and a possibility of PR at the end of that.
Bingo!!! Same for us and thats where we are now!
Old May 22nd 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

We should rename this the "we love the 457" thread!!

Don't get me wrong, we want a permanent visa and that is our aim, but for us the 457 has been a Godsend.
Old May 22nd 2010, 10:40 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by RenShen
We should rename this the "we love the 457" thread!!

Don't get me wrong, we want a permanent visa and that is our aim, but for us the 457 has been a Godsend.
Yes, it just gives people options which helps their long term goals. The key for us is and has always been, that we may end up going back to UK and if we do then thats fine. I am extremely lucky having a safety net with house/job etc and I appreciate others may not have that.
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Danaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant future

It says JAJ is retired, I think he should go back to bed wetting and leave us all in peace!

457 gives us a chance to try out Oz without being too much out of pocket.

Anyway the answer to the wine thing is no don't take any in the container as they will tax you. The answer for JAJ are Tenna Man pads!!!!
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:49 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

It says JAJ is retired, I think he should go back to bed wetting and leave us all in peace!

457 gives us a chance to try out Oz without being too much out of pocket.

Anyway the answer to the wine thing is no don't take any in the container as they will tax you. The answer for JAJ are Tenna Man pads!!!!
I really don't think you do yourself any favours with the above comments.

I guess he has a strong view of the 457 visa in particular, because he will have seen so many people on this forum who have come out on one and seen it all go horribly wrong.

The 457 visa can be a godsend, but people on this visa are at the beck and call of their employer, don't have any certainty in their life and if push comes to shove, have 28 days to pack up their gear and leave.

Don't get me wrong, we're currently on a 457 and without it we probably wouldn't have made it to Australia either - but I'll be able to heave a huge sigh of relief as soon as we get PR. I was glad for JAJ's negative comments about the visa when we first came out here, it made me gird me loins and thing about what we'd do in a worse case scenario.

Our first sponsoring employer promised the earth. They were going to sponsor us for PR, they paid all our fees, gave Himself a great salary (much better than he was on in the UK too) - but as soon as times were tough, they sloughed off their temp workforce, some of them in extremely despicable ways. One engineer from Malaysia, who had worked incredibly hard and for much longer hours than anyone else, was told he wouldn't be kept on at the end of the project (they hadn't won any more contracts) - he pointed out that they were responsible for his repatriation, so he was presented with an airline ticket dated 3 days after he was due to be finished, and told to take it or leave it. Other engineers were treated similarly, but poor Henry will always stand out in my memory.

Himself didn't give them a chance to do the same to him. Fortunately he's in an occupation in high demand in Australia, so he jumped ship and found another employer to sponsor us. They're now also sponsoring us for PR, which will hopefully be through soon.

JAJ does a valuable job of warning people - its a shame you've taken his comments as some vitriolic outburst on yourself.
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
JAJ does a valuable job of warning people - its a shame you've taken his comments as some vitriolic outburst on yourself.
The OP was asking something specific about transporting wine to Australia - the whole thread changed direction from the first post by JAJ which didn't address what this thread was about.

A later post by the OP might be considered as insulting, however there is a valid point about someone taking the thread completely off-topic so early on - a moderator of all people too.
Old May 23rd 2010, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Danaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant future

What is the worst thing that happen?

Yes I insulted him but if you read my original post you will see he insulted me with changing the post topic!

Does he actually think that I would mess with my family's future an go into his without thinking? No is the answer in short! I have had many offers with a 457 and said no, the company that are bringing me over have been thoroughly looked into as much as they did the same to me. The field I am in is unique and I am very lucky to put myself in this position.

I hope to god I do get kicked as it'll show how patronising this man is and if I was on here asking for advice on a 457 I shouldn't be going over at all!

I wanted to know about wine not have someone whine on my post!

He probably has a strong bladder and I take my cheap shot back!
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:34 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
The OP was asking something specific about transporting wine to Australia - the whole thread changed direction from the first post by JAJ which didn't address what this thread was about.

A later post by the OP might be considered as insulting, however there is a valid point about someone taking the thread completely off-topic so early on - a moderator of all people too.
I'd say that mentioning a 457 in the thread title leaves it open to comments about 457s. The OPs reaction to the comment about using a 457 then lead to the discussion (mostly very supportive) about the value of a 457 visa in today's emigration climate. The OP then saw their arse.

Hey ho. Its all fun on internet forums.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:13 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Does he actually think that I would mess with my family's future an go into his without thinking? No is the answer in short!
Yes, he probably thinks you MAY go out on a 457 without thinking about the consequences.

I've been around this board long enough to have seen quite a few people leave oz heart broken because their employer promises them things but never delivered. Or because they lost their job or had no route to PR and ended up having to abruptly leave oz. Some people really do move their families across the globe on nothing more than promises.

I'm not lecturing you but I do think it's worth mentioning the draw backs of the 457 because so many people choose not to see them (or think it doesn't apply to them). If JAJ hadn't mentioned it I would have.

However, you seem to have your head on straight so I'm sure you'll be all right. As long as you remember there are no guarantees until you have PR you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.