Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Check, House Sold Check now favourite wine

457 Check, House Sold Check now favourite wine

Old May 16th 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Danaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant future
Default 457 Check, House Sold Check now favourite wine

457 Check! House sold check!

Now here is a hard one. My wife, 2 girls and me are on our way on the 27th. We are flying to Singapore first, staying 5 nights and then onto Melbourne to start our new lives.

The company that are bringing us over are AMAZING! They have done so much to help us in work and private time. I decided to treat the guys with some really amazing wine from France. I know that I can bring in 2.25 (Three bottles) and so can the wife, but bringing it on the plane is a no! Too much weight!!!

So I was probably going to take it in the container and ship it over.

I am probably going to declare it but does that mean I cannot buy anything in Duty free when coming in on the plane coming into Oz?

Am I being too paranoid regarding the booze on the container?

Am I being too paranoid full stop?

Is there an evil monkey in my wardrobe?

If so, is it him that snores or is my wife right and I snore?

Old May 16th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Re: 457 Check, House Sold Check now favourite wine

Watch out for that evil Monkey.

There will never be any reconciliation between what is in your container and what you bring on the plane.

So I would max out on the duty free allowance for wine when you are at the airport.

Your container will almost certainly be searched so if you want to bring in a few undeclared bottles then hide them well!

Good luck
Old May 17th 2010, 3:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danaamatrix
457 Check! House sold check!

Now here is a hard one. My wife, 2 girls and me are on our way on the 27th. We are flying to Singapore first, staying 5 nights and then onto Melbourne to start our new lives.

The company that are bringing us over are AMAZING! They have done so much to help us in work and private time.

Hopefully for your sake they'll stay amazing, as you're legally chained to them with a 457 visa.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Danaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant future

They got me on a 457 to get me there asap. As soon as we arrive they are funding my PR.

That does tie me into them for 3 years, but ho hum, could be worse.

Having my move, years rent, container, flights and visa paid for by this company does kind of put them into the amazing zone.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Having my move, years rent, container, flights and visa paid for by this company does kind of put them into the amazing zone.
I would have thought this is "normal zone" for any responsible employer.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:19 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
On a 457? Yeah right.
Old May 17th 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
On a 457 I wish.

You're having a laugh.
Old May 18th 2010, 11:43 am
JAJ
Retired

Perhaps "is" should read "ought to be" ... but one always has to ask why employers expect people to uproot with no visa security.
Old May 18th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Perhaps "is" should read "ought to be" ... but one always has to ask why employers expect people to uproot with no visa security.
Agreed, if you lose the job or you don’t get another visa by the time your 457 runs out then it’s back home you go, and at your own cost
Old May 18th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Once again I kick myself for coming on here and asking a simple question and all I get back is what seems to be very bitter people with bitter views.

I am aware that a 457 offers not much security, that is why I have it written into my contract a clause that offers that.

My job is probably more sort after than those who come on here bitching about how I was fast tracked while those of you on here probably worked your backsides off just to get PR.

Sorry, it is not my fault.

I have more than enough savvy to not only forget about asking simple questions on here to gain simple answers from now on, but to also make sure I have an unbreakable clause that they have to employ me until I gain PR on my arrival.

I have found out the answer to my question by looking on the Australian Gov website.

Run along now but thanks to those who tried to offer a decent view
Old May 19th 2010, 1:12 am
ABCDiamond

I have found out the answer to my question by looking on the Australian Gov website.
What was the answer ?

Old May 19th 2010, 1:24 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Once again I kick myself for coming on here and asking a simple question and all I get back is what seems to be very bitter people with bitter views.

I am aware that a 457 offers not much security, that is why I have it written into my contract a clause that offers that.

My job is probably more sort after than those who come on here bitching about how I was fast tracked while those of you on here probably worked your backsides off just to get PR.

I have more than enough savvy to not only forget about asking simple questions on here to gain simple answers from now on, but to also make sure I have an unbreakable clause that they have to employ me until I gain PR on my arrival.

I am here on a 457, have been for over 2 years now and it has suited us perfectly. I am on an international placement with my company so if this particular role is no longer required THEY return me to the UK at full expense and back to my old job. As it is they want me to extend and have offered PR sponsorship as well.
They paid flights, Resettlement allowance, months furnished accom and a relocation agent so we could get our own place and also offered LAFHA. If we stay and go PR then great, if not then hey ho, its been a great 3 years and gave us a chance risk free to try something and somewhere different.
Old May 19th 2010, 5:07 am
JAJ
Retired

Unbreakable? Even if that's the case as far as your employer is concerned, a permanent visa is within the jurisdiction of the Department of Immigration and a job offer, in itself, isn't enough.

My only question in these circumstances is, if the intention is a permanent move, why the ENS visa is not done offshore?
Old May 19th 2010, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Initially we came here on a 457 and everything was fine. Like you they also offered to sponsor PR from day one. We decided to wait before obtaining our PR as we wanted to make sure we wanted to stay and, if so, find the best area for us. During that time we claimed LAFHA and this worked well in our favour. The company that sponsored the OH had done a lot of research on him before approaching him for the job so we were not worried about security. I say go for it. Yes for some it doesn't work but for many it does.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Because it has been three weeks from wanting me to come to actually coming. We found the 457......Oh hell to it, why am I bothering!

As a moderator you may want to either answer the original question I asked, go to cutting your lawn or just ban me from this bloody forum as I usually find these forums as good as its moderators and as you may want to notice you have answered NOTHING of any use.... NOTHING!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.