Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 application process

457 application process

Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice
Default 457 application process

Hi all,
I am at the early stages of the 457 application process (From ireland). I have a job offer - havent signed the contract yet.
I am sending through the various forms, but I have a few questions.
It seems to me that I need to have an Ozzie bank account and tax file number set up - I am asked for these details on the form. Does this take long to do? I am due to start my new job on January 3rd. Does this look feesible at this stage - seeing that I have yet to set up bank account, tax number.
I have gotten a chest x-ray - will need to mail this (via FEDEX) to OZ aswell.
Also I will need to submit company references to show that I have worked in the job for 5 years - this will have to have a company letter head. Does anyone know what type of format this will need to take.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Xabi
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:12 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 application process

Originally Posted by xabialonso
Hi all,
I am at the early stages of the 457 application process (From ireland). I have a job offer - havent signed the contract yet.
It seems to me that I need to have an Ozzie bank account and tax file number set up - I am asked for these details on the form. Does this take long to do? I am due to start my new job on January 3rd. Does this look feesible at this stage - seeing that I have yet to set up bank account, tax number.
Also I will need to submit company references to show that I have worked in the job for 5 years - this will have to have a company letter head. Does anyone know what type of format this will need to take.

Thanks in advance
Xabi

Xabi,

You need to be in Australia to obtain a Tax file number (TFN). You can apply on line and it takes about 10 days to come through. Don't worry about it as the company can use a default (high) rate in the meantime and make an adjustment as soon as it comes through.

You could set up a bank account through HSBC for example but timing is getting short. I set one up in Aus the day I arrived so there is no great delay with that.

Format of the reference is not critical as long as it's official and confirms the employment period.
Something on the lines of
"We hereby confirm Mr X has worked for the above mentioned company for a period of X years and in that time was employed in the role of X".
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix
Xabi,

You need to be in Australia to obtain a Tax file number (TFN). You can apply on line and it takes about 10 days to come through. Don't worry about it as the company can use a default (high) rate in the meantime and make an adjustment as soon as it comes through.

You could set up a bank account through HSBC for example but timing is getting short. I set one up in Aus the day I arrived so there is no great delay with that.

Format of the reference is not critical as long as it's official and confirms the employment period.
Something on the lines of
"We hereby confirm Mr X has worked for the above mentioned company for a period of X years and in that time was employed in the role of X".
That is great Bix, puts my mind a little at ease. I have yet to resign from my current job, will be doing that in the next couple of weeks. I will therefore leave the Tax file number and the Bank account until I get over there - late December - thanks
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

murphyweb is an unknown quantity at this point

Alonso,

Just wondering how you managed to get a job offer?
i have been wondering how easy it would be to get a job offer.

Cheers Murph

That is great Bix, puts my mind a little at ease. I have yet to resign from my current job, will be doing that in the next couple of weeks. I will therefore leave the Tax file number and the Bank account until I get over there - late December - thanks
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by murphyweb
Alonso,

Just wondering how you managed to get a job offer?
i have been wondering how easy it would be to get a job offer.

Cheers Murph
Hi murph
applied for a job on the seek website. Luckily the skills I have are quiet rare and the company couldnt find matching skills in OZ. Am doing the sponsorship through freespirit. You can check out their websire - www.freespirit.com.au. You can register with them also, and they may be able to match your skills.

Good luck
Xabi
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

murphyweb is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, i might get in touch with them.
I'll buy you a drink when/if i ever get to Perth!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi murph
applied for a job on the seek website. Luckily the skills I have are quiet rare and the company couldnt find matching skills in OZ. Am doing the sponsorship through freespirit. You can check out their websire - www.freespirit.com.au. You can register with them also, and they may be able to match your skills.

Good luck
Xabi

If your skills are in demand in Australia, why not get them to sponsor for a permanent visa, as opposed to a temporary one?

Jeremy
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If your skills are in demand in Australia, why not get them to sponsor for a permanent visa, as opposed to a temporary one?

Jeremy
TRUE, i would go for PR, less hassle later on, and i dont think i could have settled on a temporary visa.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:30 am
Just Joined

hell1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Xabi

Hi Xabi,

I recently came over to australia on a 457 visa. I applied online and also my X-ray results were sent online so the whole process only took 4 weeks. I didn't get my TFN till after I started the job and I opened up a bank account the day I got here, you only need a passport for I.D. if you apply within 4 weeks of arriving. Also my references included quite specific details as follow:

Job Title
Wages
Start and finish dates
F/T or P/T and hours worked
A list of 5 main duties
Contact details of whoever writes the reference and their title

I hads no problems with this and got the advise from this website regarding this. Hope it everything goes alright for you.

Regards
Helen