Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

ourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really nice
Default 457

Any one gone on a 457 with husband and child, had any problems? I am a staff nurse who is going to be sponsored and we are really looking forward 2 going.

Would just like to know any ones experiences and that they are enjoying it as much as we are looking forward to it.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice
Default Re: 457

not sure where you're heading to but there are a couple of things we didnt realise when we accepted the job!

Firstly that for school aged children you have to pay school fees for state schooling in some states. I know it's not all, but in NSW we pay $4610 per child, per year and this needs to be paid in advance in 1 lump sum (there are installments but these were unamanageable for us as they were 3 installments over 2 months)

Secondly if you are entitled to NHS treatment in the UK you are also entitled to reciprocal health care under the medicare system. This covers "medically necessary" treatment but it is limited. Do a search on 457 and medicare to get some of the good info on this site..

The other thing to be aware of is that on the 457 you are not entitled to certain tax subsidies (such as child care tax rebate)

That said, in order to compensate for that you may be able to get the Living Away From Home Allowance -- ask your employer if you'll be eligible. This is basically a tax free allowance for rent and/or food and can be quite lucrative... but it is complicated and some employers dont offer it.

We are a family of 4 and are enjoying the Aussie life! Good Luck!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ourjane211284
Any one gone on a 457 with husband and child, had any problems? I am a staff nurse who is going to be sponsored and we are really looking forward 2 going.

Would just like to know any ones experiences and that they are enjoying it as much as we are looking forward to it.
It depends on where you are going and what your husband is looking to do for a living. We would now consider ourselves experts on this visa and the dos and donts as we have spoken to immigration lots of times and now have the full jist of things. Let me know if you have any questions youll be surprised what you can and cant do
regards raven
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

ourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really nice

Hi we are going to Brisbane, to a place called Springfield. What can you and cnt you do? We are both looking forward to it cnt wait infact. What have you found out??
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:04 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ourjane211284
Hi we are going to Brisbane, to a place called Springfield. What can you and cnt you do? We are both looking forward to it cnt wait infact. What have you found out??
All the restrictions are detailed on the DIAC website. As long as you like the job when you get there and have a long term plan for getting PR all will be fine, some people have come and not liked the job and this is a difficult situation, if you leave the job you have 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave the country. 457 holders have no access to any benefits and partners if they can't find work are not entitled to unemployment benefit. Also you'll only get recipricol medicare cover (only treatment that is essential will be covered). All this is common knowledge and detailed in all the application info online.
I'm here on a 457 with husband and 2 kids, I love my job and kids are settled in school, we're in the process of applying for ENS PR but it is taking forever.

If you meet the criteria for independent visa then this would be the choice one to go for but for some people (like me) this was not an option and luckily all has worked out well.

Download Booklet 5 from the DIAC website, everything you need to know is in there.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. I have 2 brothers who live there and we will then go for a pr visa. All should work out well!!!! My parents even have a house that we shall live in and my son is just over one so my oh will stay at home till he is settled and then look for work. He works in admin so he should be ok with getting a job. We decided this was the best way for us 2 but ppl have said some downers about it and then it get you worried. Will have family support so its better than going out just the3 of us.

Thanks 4 ur info
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
All the restrictions are detailed on the DIAC website. As long as you like the job when you get there and have a long term plan for getting PR all will be fine, some people have come and not liked the job and this is a difficult situation, if you leave the job you have 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave the country.
There are other issues that can arise ... such as one family member becoming sick which then causes PR to be refused on health grounds.

Also serious problems if the main 457 holder were to die, or the family split up.