Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No relocation package but salary $125k

No relocation package but salary $125k

Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

helen_and_michael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No relocation package but salary $125k

Just found out that due that due to some bad experiences elsewhere, the company that I had been holding out for has back tracked on relocation. They indicated that the job is there, if I want but I will have to make my own arrangements for travel/accommodation in Perth.

The job fits my skills and is bettered than here in UK, but I have been put off by this attitude

Comments/suggestions welcome?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No relocation package but salary $125k

Originally Posted by helen_and_michael
Just found out that due that due to some bad experiences elsewhere, the company that I had been holding out for has back tracked on relocation. They indicated that the job is there, if I want but I will have to make my own arrangements for travel/accommodation in Perth.

The job fits my skills and is bettered than here in UK, but I have been put off by this attitude

Stay where you are.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Hi that seem a bit harsh, my husband has been offered a job and the package so far has included, all shipping cost out there, all flights there and back, medical insurance for the whole family, 4 weeks free accomadation time off to source schools , houses and a car, shipping costs back all visas and supporting documentation paid for by them, plus a couple of other bits. The thing is could you not use this as a stepping stone, how long would your contract be for, are they not prepared to even have a chat about it, and have you looked at any other avenues of employment, are you dealing with an agency
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Being working through an agent in Perth, and they have said that this is the first time this has happened. They say other comparable companies would provide assistance.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Have you any other interviews lined up, and what has your agent said with regards to this offer can he / she not get them to budge at all , is this something you want enough to accept or do want to see if something else comes along.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:24 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like an excuse to me, you need to confirm definate job availability. Aside from the relocation, are they still sponsoring you and paying for that process?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:53 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I had a relocation package which was tied to a time in employment, eg leave before a specific time, eg 1 year and it was repayable 18 months 50% and nothing after two years I think. I believe this was fair as it avoided the company having to pay out for someone just to come over and use them as a way in. I moved on a 457 but with a planned PR in progress so did not have a return planned.

Would they agree to this?

I had $25K to spend as I pleased on relocation and it really made a difference. At the time 6 years ago the salary was $85K and was a large drop from my UK basic so the relocation was make or break for me in terms of deciding to move with that company. Also the LAFHA for the first year meant a greater take home net.

Only you can decide if the package suits you. but if it feels wrong now it may feel bad when you are stuck with it and 28 days to leave the country if you do not like the company and cannot get further sponsorship.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them to get stuffed. It's an employees market in Perth at the moment and they are taking the piss - and probabyl hoping that you are ignorant of the situation here.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

What is your occupation?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Occupation is engineering project manager. I feel this a hurdle that cannot overcome as it would cost me 3k+ in set up costs for the privelege.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Occupation is engineering project manager. I feel this a hurdle that cannot overcome as it would cost me 3k+ in set up costs for the privelege.
but with a 125k salary -- i would be smiling all the way!!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocCake
but with a 125k salary -- i would be smiling all the way!!
Yeah, but with that job title he should be getting $50k more at least - more like $75k actually.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:47 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you can get more - who knows - but you're not going to let $3k be the deciding factor in your move are you? Think about the long term situation and it's small change.

Graham
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

It might be small change, but this has only arisen. The assumption was that there would something. I think it all stems from some expats who used them to get to Oz, without any intention of paying them back.

Why should I bare the cost for the weakness of the HR department in recruiting these oppurtunistic people. Unfortunately the company has now adopted an overall policy that they will not provide any relocation assistance, even though I was in discussions with them before this situation arose.

I think I will need to look at other options, and companies who appreciate the financial and emotional cost of making the move to the other side of the world.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I'd understand if they withdrew it in the future but it looks as though it was promised and then withdrawn which I think is out of order. I don't think it is sending out a very strong committment message i.e we expect (as all employer's rightly do) committment from you but aren't prepare to provide it in return. We are in the process of employing an assistant at work but are being absolutely hammered by agency fees. We could pay the extortionate fee and get landed with a waster who leaves within 4 months - who knows? Sometimes you do have to have a bit of faith.
Having said that, it does seem a generous salary. Accept that there are swings and roundabouts and proceed with caution would be my advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.