Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

40 ft container - shipping costs

40 ft container - shipping costs

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:34 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 ft container - shipping costs

Originally Posted by Fly Away
PSS told us that they don't use shipping lines which put containers in the open air.
I'll just add my 2c too... 25 years in the transport business, and as others have said the removal companies have no say at all where the boxes go on the stowage plan...
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BATS666
I'd be careful with LP insurance. I thought we'd save a few hundred quid by insuring with them but I'm now having 2nd thoughts.
Firstly, this company only does Marine Insurance, so you are insured from the moment you finish loading the container to the moment it is delivered the other end. It does not cover breakages/theft when packing and unpacking, even by a professional removals company. You would have to rely on your own house contents insurance to cover these eventualities. I checked mine and the policy only covers me for DOMESTIC removals, not intl ones. I phoned them to check and they confirmed this. I cannot pay extra and get the international cover. So no cover this end sheds a completely different light on LP insurance. If you DO have sufficient insurance this end, you would have to make sure you had sufficient cover the other end too, to cover an intl arrival.
Secondly, I have some antique ceramics I want to take with me. They will only insure these at 3% rather than 1.6% (more cost). I have to get these professionally valued (more cost); professionally packed (NOT by the removals company - more cost) and the removals company has to build a special crate for the boxes (more cost).
Thirdly, LP have an excess of 1% of total value. For us that's about £500 for us. D Bonner are quoting 2.7% with no excess.
Finally, there are some exclusions in the LP policy that may not be in your removals company's policy
Even if we were covered in the UK for packing, there's not alot in it. About £1,200 (LP) to £1,485 (DB). Certainly bumps up the container costs !!
Always pays to read to small print and, if in doubt, ASK!
....and check that whoever is "selling" you insurance is allowed to do so. Check the FSA website. Not all removals companies are FSA authorised (even if they say they are).
that is all....phew !!
Hmmm this has got me thinking now, decided to go with John Masons, (40ft £6,600) then thought I'd go with Letton Percival, but now I'm thinking do most of you go with LP, or do you use the removal company for insurance. Just when I thought I'd got it sorted I'm all of a dither again, please help
Thought I'd got this sorted but now I'm a bit undecided
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:17 am
Just Joined

tyrrell_matthew is an unknown quantity at this point

i was wondering whether anyone has got a rough estimate for shipping a small 1 bed flats worth of stuff over? you know, a couple of sofas, a wardrobe or two, some other small bits of furniture and some boxes? no bed or dining table or anything.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tyrrell_matthew
i was wondering whether anyone has got a rough estimate for shipping a small 1 bed flats worth of stuff over? you know, a couple of sofas, a wardrobe or two, some other small bits of furniture and some boxes? no bed or dining table or anything.
some removals companies websites have cubic metre or footage calculators. You will be looking at a shared 20ft container. Just ask the company how much for ***cu ft in a shared one (add insurance). Shared ones take longer to arrive, as you will have several people's stuff in there.