Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

40 degrees and the bestest xmas ever

40 degrees and the bestest xmas ever

Old Dec 26th 2004, 8:14 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default 40 degrees and the bestest xmas ever

Hi All, Well another one over and what a great one it was, My 1st aussie xmas and I loved it.

Before I go on about how great mine was can I say mery xmas to everyone and all those who have had a bad one may the new year and next xmas be much much better for you.

a couple of days before xmas I was feeling down the place just didn't feel xmassy at all and had to do something about it, As most of you know I run a backpackers so I thought well I have got a load of people staying here from all over the world some only 18 yrs old and they are on there own, no family or friends arounds so I (being the organizational freak that I am) got my moping arse up and went shopping, a trip to good ol crazy clarks and I was sorted, came home with a 20 santa hats, 20 packs of cards, 20 new toothbrushes, 20 tubes of toothpaste, 20 candy canes, 20 oranges, 20 pens and 20 stubby holders which using puff paints I did a little foreshore backpackers design on, with xmas 04 and on the other side painted there names wraped everything except the santa hats which I turned upside down and put all the pressies in. then at about 3 AM xmas morning drunk as a skunk I went down the coridor pretending to be santa and put them outside there rooms so they would find them when they woke up, amazingly only one person managed to stand on hers and squeeze colgate everywhere.

then xmas morning we put on a breakfast of fruit salad, yogurt and crupmets, then rounded everyone up, packed the esky, some umbrelas, a few nibbles, a football (the propper round variety) a cricket set, locked up the backpackers and took a stroll to the beach. My mate Steve got his boat out and we all had a go on the ski biscuit, played cricket for hours, swam, got a good soaking and all came back to the hostel at about 3pm for tea, which was cold meats, and every type of salad imaginable (pasta, potato, mexican etc etc) followed by cheesecake from the cheesecake haven and coctails for everyone. we then spent the rest of the day/night in the garden where we had put up 2 big paddling pools, and we had a panana (dont know how to spell that but one of them mexican things that you bash with a stick untill all the sweets came out) and card games until all going to bed.

I think it come down to if you try and have a "british xmas" or you have to spend time with your aussie partners family then it is really hard because it has too many reminders of what you are missing but if you just go with what the aussies do, have a beer or 1000, play cricket and just chill out or the day then it realy can be a fantastic day. I can safely say that I enjoyed all the fun and games yesterday way more than spending 4 hours cooking a roast dinner for the family which is gone in 10 minutes then lying on the floor for the rest of the day cos you feel sick.

Happy new year to you all
Kala
Old Dec 26th 2004, 8:24 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 degrees and the bestest xmas ever

Brilliant!!

We spend half the day at the beach yesterday, Floreat Beach. Put on sunscreen, and still got burned all over!!! Ouch!
Was fun boogieboarding with a $10 board from Big W
Then had a bbq at home.

This afternoon had lunch at my friends house with her family, and now going to the movies to The Incredibles (have to watch a simple movie, cos Pascal's dad's English isn't that great!!(was a lot of fun at my friends house! )

Have a great rest of xmas everyone!!!
Old Dec 26th 2004, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with you, that despite my reservations of this "1st' aussie xmas, I have to say that it was the best xmas we have had in a very long time ( at least 6 odd years ) and we can't wait for the next one when we will be in our own place ( renting a house at the mo, while we build our own ).

We had the next door neighbours come 'round unexpectedly with beers in hand, then our newest aussie mates popped 'round with pressies for the kids (which really touched us), BBQ brekkie, BBQ tea, aussie xmas Cd playing in the background ( "Oh what fun it is to ride, in a rusty Holden ute!!!! ), all of us in our skimps having the best time.

Spoke to rellies in the Uk and the states, not one bit of homesickness for me - HURRAH!!! Think I might be cracking this emigration lark!!!!
Old Dec 26th 2004, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Have to agree with you, that despite my reservations of this "1st' aussie xmas, I have to say that it was the best xmas we have had in a very long time ( at least 6 odd years ) and we can't wait for the next one when we will be in our own place ( renting a house at the mo, while we build our own ).

We had the next door neighbours come 'round unexpectedly with beers in hand, then our newest aussie mates popped 'round with pressies for the kids (which really touched us), BBQ brekkie, BBQ tea, aussie xmas Cd playing in the background ( "Oh what fun it is to ride, in a rusty Holden ute!!!! ), all of us in our skimps having the best time.

Spoke to rellies in the Uk and the states, not one bit of homesickness for me - HURRAH!!! Think I might be cracking this emigration lark!!!!
Hiya Leigh,

really glad you had a great day.....all seems to be coming together for you!!!

Sandra
Old Dec 26th 2004, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Hiya Leigh,

really glad you had a great day.....all seems to be coming together for you!!!

Sandra
thanks sandra,

how was xmas for you guys? ( I know you are waiting to get back for your dad)

Hope it was ok and that next year is even better for you all.

lots a luv, x