Reload this Page >

4 years ... then what?

4 years ... then what?

Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Penguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 years ... then what?

Hi everyone,

Presuming the visa comes through and we are granted 4 years in Oz, what's the next step?

Will we be kicked out after 4 years or can we apply for something more permanent (and if so, how easy is it).

Sorry if this seems a stupid question ...
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

What visa are you going on for your 4 years?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: 4 years ... then what?

Originally posted by Penguin
Hi everyone,

Presuming the visa comes through and we are granted 4 years in Oz, what's the next step?

Will we be kicked out after 4 years or can we apply for something more permanent (and if so, how easy is it).

Not a stupid question, but your better off asking this in the immigration forum to get "factual" replies.

I was on a business visa then got PR when my business visa was due to run out (my company sponsored me for the PR) I was on a 4 years visa.. and now have been PR for a little over two years (PS we are not with the same company who originally sponsored us.. you are free to do what you like when you hold PR.. unless you have a signed a contract with your company.. they may ask for the sponsorship money back.. the cost they forked out) you can apply for PR sooner than I did , I'm also eligible for citizenship now... but I don't want it.. yikes! (I'll only apply for it before I leave Aus, to keep the door open so to speak)

I did not have to leave the country when I applied for PR... this totally depends what PR visa your applying for .

Ask in the immigration forum.

I'm probably confusing you. .. it depends on what PR visa you will be going for when your 4 year visa runs out. (I assume you are asking about PR visa's when you said how do I make it more permanent )

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 8th 2003 at 4:14 am.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:22 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I'm intrigued. Why don't you want Oz Citizenship?

I'm going to become a Citizen as soon as I'm able to. After all, this country is my home now!

Brisnick

Originally posted by Ceri
I'm also eligible for citizenship now... but I don't want it.. yikes! (I'll only apply for it before I leave Aus, to keep the door open so to speak)
Old Oct 8th 2003, 6:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Penguin
Hi everyone,

Presuming you have PR when it comes to renewal time you have 3 options

1 Not do anything and never leave Australia (totally legal although not hassle free when it comes to renewing medicare cards)
2 Get an residents return visa valid for another 5 years (and still have some medicare hassle)
3 Get citizenship

For the last 2 options you need to have been a PR for 2 years in the previous 5 years with 1 year within the previous 2 years.

Option 3 is the better as you can re enter Australia for the rest of your life without anymore visa hassles.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming you have a PR visa, if you spend two years in the country (accumativley) you can apply for citenzenship or if you want to leave the country you can apply for a return visa and you will be granted another 5 years, if you haven't accumaleted two years you can only get a 3 month return visa, any previous time accumalted does not go towards your two years it starts again from the time return visa was granted.

Hope that makes some kind of sense to you. Basically if your PR visa runs out they dont hunt you down and extradite you.

Mine runs out in January and as I have not accumalated two years in the 5 they will only let me out for three months. If I fail to return in the 3 months thats it. I would need to re-apply for a visa. :scared:

Bondipom summed it up a lot better beat me to the button.

Last edited by karawara88; Oct 8th 2003 at 6:22 am.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 6:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
Assuming you have a PR visa, if you spend two years in the country (accumativley) you can apply for citenzenship or if you leave country apply for a return visa and you will be granted another 5 years, if you haven't accumaleted two years you can only get a 3 month return visa, any previous time accumalted does not go towards your two years it starts again from the time return visa was granted.

Hope that makes some kind of sense to you. Basically if your PR visa runs out they dont hunt you down and extradite you.

Mine runs out in January and as I have not accumalated two years in the 5 they will only let me out for three months. If I fail to return in the 3 months thats it. I would need to re-apply for a visa. :scared:
Will you go for citizenship when you have built up the required residence?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will you go for citizenship when you have built up the required residence?
Yes, I would do the problem is when PR runs out in January the way I understand it is ... My two years would have to start from that point. All accumalted time is forfeited. It might be better for me to apply as a spouse on Donnas PR visa. Not sure if thats possible and if I can do it while I am here.

Anyone have experience of this?