Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Get ready for Winter!! Batten down the hatches

Get ready for Winter!! Batten down the hatches

Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:11 am
Badge

Default Get ready for Winter!! Batten down the hatches

There's no doubt we've had the best spring summer in the UK in (my) living memory/experience.

I've been walking down the road to work since March and have memories of sun and it being at worst - mild - vertually every day. My brother tells me it has normally rained all summer the last few years.

Now I think the weather has finally turned for good after a delay of execution and it will be grey until March.

Bugger. And I'd hoped to be out of here by now.

Badgers.

PS what annoys me is that last year the First week of September in Sydney (the day times) was like a glorious British summer - only days/weeks before it was freezing. You could say "spring has arrived" and feel the difference.

Over here, when we get to the first week of March it won't change that much.

Bugger again.

Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Get ready for Winter!! Batten down the hatches

I woke up to grey skies, rain and cold winds today which was thoroughly depressing. I dropped my son of at school in the car (far too cold to walk now!!!) and when I got in, I had a nice cup of tea and crumpets and felt all snug with the central heating on, knowing that I won't have to go out again until 3pm. It does make me feel happy when the weather turns and you can watch how miserable it is outside, yet be safe and warm inside. The novelty soon wears off, especially when you're still doing it in bloody June!!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
There's no doubt we've had the best spring summer in the UK in (my) living memory/experience.

I've been walking down the road to work since March and have memories of sun and it being at worst - mild - vertually every day. My brother tells me it has normally rained all summer the last few years.

Now I think the weather has finally turned for good after a delay of execution and it will be grey until March.

Bugger. And I'd hoped to be out of here by now.

Badgers.

PS what annoys me is that last year the First week of September in Sydney (the day times) was like a glorious British summer - only days/weeks before it was freezing. You could say "spring has arrived" and feel the difference.

Over here, when we get to the first week of March it won't change that much.

Bugger again.
Syndeys weather went crap for the public holiday. Somethings are just the same. 10 days of pommie Autumn next month.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:24 am
Just Joined

sa11yanne is an unknown quantity at this point

But itsnt it nice that we can wrap up warm and buy our new scarves and gloves, roll neck jumpers, and make sure that we have lots of hot chocolate in, along with lots of lemsip, vicks.....

Ok perhaps i would rather be choosing which sun tan cream to use!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sa11yanne
But itsnt it nice that we can wrap up warm and buy our new scarves and gloves, roll neck jumpers, and make sure that we have lots of hot chocolate in, along with lots of lemsip, vicks.....

Ok perhaps i would rather be choosing which sun tan cream to use!
Yeah, Id rather be slapping on my sun tan cream too, just trying to think of the positive's now that the dreaded winter season is here again. I went shopping on Saturday and bought flu and cold remedies and hot chocolate with out even thinking really!!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:32 am
Just Joined

sa11yanne is an unknown quantity at this point

so you were in auto pilot mode!!!

Whereas my bargain hunting mother would have bought her buy one get 60 free Lemsip in the summer, and is stocking up on next years suncream in the sale!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by noodle
Yeah, Id rather be slapping on my sun tan cream too, just trying to think of the positive's now that the dreaded winter season is here again. I went shopping on Saturday and bought flu and cold remedies and hot chocolate with out even thinking really!!
Really, for the rest of your days in OZ you are supposed to cover yourself from head to foot in clagggy white gloop, four times a day, repeat for each child to ensure they do it properly, sweat profusely to add to clag, evening comes add foul smelling turpsey smelling stull like aeroguard to keep the mozzies off. Its a wonder Australian women ever get pregnant, the smell of that lot should put anyone off their stroke.

Hardly the same as Ambre de solaire in costa del palmos is it.

:scared:
Old Oct 7th 2003, 11:10 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Has been a damn good summer eh.

You know what they say though.....good summer, bad winter... I can't believe how quick its changed though. 3 weeks ago i was still running around in a t-shirt.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 11:44 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly has been a blinder of a summer...which makes the prospect of winter all the more bleak. It's the incessant drizzle that gets me down. That, and the freezing fog, gale force winds, six-inch frost on the windscreen, weather that goes sideways and the whole dark-when-you-go-to-work-dark-when-you-come-back thing. Plus I cry when cold, so the winter is an emotional time for me!

But then I did spend a winter in Oz freezing in -12 temps so it's not all hot-hot-hot over there (unless you're up north, of course)

Anyone with good tips on how to survive the British winter???
Old Oct 7th 2003, 12:02 pm
Badge

don't mind the cold. It's as you say, the drizzle and grey.

Dotty - as I never went out to beaches - not really me - I never used too much lotion. But we always had a gallon sized tub of lotion by the door.

Those mossie coils seem to work?

badge

Old Oct 7th 2003, 12:15 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
Really, for the rest of your days in OZ you are supposed to cover yourself from head to foot in clagggy white gloop, four times a day, repeat for each child to ensure they do it properly, sweat profusely to add to clag, evening comes add foul smelling turpsey smelling stull like aeroguard to keep the mozzies off. Its a wonder Australian women ever get pregnant, the smell of that lot should put anyone off their stroke.

Hardly the same as Ambre de solaire in costa del palmos is it.

:scared:
Touch of HelioPhobia old gal?

Is it worth $ 987 to live free of Sun Phobia?

The Phobia Clinic's 24-hour Heliophobia and Fear of the Sun program offers guaranteed relief.

Let me reveal all, hats and clothes are not just a fashion fetish?
Old Oct 7th 2003, 12:44 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

the only thing that gets me down about winter is the dark. bundy got it spot on, dark when you go to work, dark when you get home.

I don't know what it is about me, but i enjoy seeing the same environment in a different light when the weather changes. Sun, rain, wind, frost, everything looks different and there's always something to look at when the weather changes.

(maybe it's the visualist in me?)

will i be able to handle all that bright and sunny weather when i get to auz?..... i think i will manage. (quite looking forward to all the slippery women in sun cream........ :scared: )
Old Oct 7th 2003, 12:47 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
the only thing that gets me down about winter is the dark. bundy got it spot on, dark when you go to work, dark when you get home.

I don't know what it is about me, but i enjoy seeing the same environment in a different light when the weather changes. Sun, rain, wind, frost, everything looks different and there's always something to look at when the weather changes.

Yes, but you can't blinkin well see anything change, can you, because it's always so DARK!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 12:57 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bundy
Yes, but you can't blinkin well see anything change, can you, because it's always so DARK!
If you stopped cursing darkly, you could fumble the switch.

Avoid permanent brain damage - install full-spectrum lighting and obviate the neccessity of emigration to distant dangerous lands infested with creepy crawly foreigners:
Light for Health
Old Oct 7th 2003, 1:00 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Megalania
If you stopped cursing darkly, you could fumble the switch.

Avoid permanent brain damage - install full-spectrum lighting and obviate the neccessity of emigration to distant dangerous lands infested with creepy crawly foreigners:
Light for Health
A most illuminating link...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.