Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is 4 nights in Kuala Lumpur too long?

Is 4 nights in Kuala Lumpur too long?

Old May 31st 2006, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of
Default Is 4 nights in Kuala Lumpur too long?

Hi Everyone,

We are about to book flights to Perth with stopovers in KUL and Langkawi. Due to flight availability we have to adjust things and spend 4 nights in KUL. Is this too long; especially as our daughter will only be 19 mths old. Or should we just go straight to Langkawi and spend a total of 10 nights there?

Thanks for your help, all suggestions gratefully received.
PS Has anyone stayed at the Berjaya Times Square Hotelin KUL?

cheers,
Ros
Old May 31st 2006, 10:00 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 4 nights in Kuala Lumpur too long?

Originally Posted by rpa34
Hi Everyone,

We are about to book flights to Perth with stopovers in KUL and Langkawi. Due to flight availability we have to adjust things and spend 4 nights in KUL. Is this too long; especially as our daughter will only be 19 mths old. Or should we just go straight to Langkawi and spend a total of 10 nights there?

cheers,
Ros
Hiya,

Kuala Lumpur ( KL ) is just like every other mad,busy and hot asian city. I spent some time there when I went out travelling for a year in 1999.
It has all the usual shops there - some western, but 4 days spent there with a little un - nah! I don't know what Langkawi is like, but I'd say a day-2days stop over in KL in more than enough, ESPECIALLY with a bubba in tow!
Hope that helps.
*pearly*
Old May 31st 2006, 10:07 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

cheers,
Ros
Hi Ros,

We had two nights in KL on the way back from Langkawi, which wasn't really long enough to 'do' all the stuff we wanted, so four nights should be ample. We didn't get in as many sights as we thought we would, mainly because we felt absolutely knackered from the heat and humidity - KL was far more humid that Langkawi and we both found it draining.

That said, we really liked KL - much more attractive city than we'd expected with some amazing buildings and beautiful parks. But during the day it was just too hot and humid to walk about, so bear that in mind, especially as you'll take a few days to adjust to the climate. Personally, I'd say spend longer in Langkawi and just have a couple of nights in KL.

Cheers,
Nicky
Old May 31st 2006, 11:08 am
Living the dream

kars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Hi Ros,

We had two nights in KL on the way back from Langkawi, which wasn't really long enough to 'do' all the stuff we wanted, so four nights should be ample. We didn't get in as many sights as we thought we would, mainly because we felt absolutely knackered from the heat and humidity - KL was far more humid that Langkawi and we both found it draining.

That said, we really liked KL - much more attractive city than we'd expected with some amazing buildings and beautiful parks. But during the day it was just too hot and humid to walk about, so bear that in mind, especially as you'll take a few days to adjust to the climate. Personally, I'd say spend longer in Langkawi and just have a couple of nights in KL.

Cheers,
Nicky

Hi

I agree, we had one night in KL on way out to Sydney. We did like the city and didn't really have enough time to explore so I would say 2 nights should be enough. We too found it humid and the kids didn't want to go outside of the hotel away from the air con

Sallyx
Old May 31st 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you might want to do there. We had 4 nights - well 2 nights then went off down to Singapore and then another 2 nights. We didn't find a problem with the climate and our 4 and 2 year old didn't complain - but then we had already been in Malaysia for over 2 weeks (starting off in Langkawi - fab BTW!). If you want to do shopping and sightseeing - then you might want a bit more than 2 nights (the shopping is very good). Don't forget to get to the Petronas Towers early to book your tickets (the shopping Mall there is to die for). If you're in a good hotel you can always chill by the pool to break up your day.
One thing I would say - public transport with little ones isn't easy. Either seem to encounter lots of steps (esp the Monorail) or crowds. However, you could taxi around for more comfort.
Just have a look at what you want to do there - we didn't see everything we wanted to.
If your child was older I would suggest an trip up to the Genting Highlands - about an hour away by coach. Fab, oldish indoor and outdoor theme park up in the clouds. Excellent value and lots of fun (if a little dated!).
Good luck
Rachel
Old May 31st 2006, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

We stayed 3 nights in KL, Personally I wish we had had a week, great city and very cheap.

I recommend the Madarin Oriental , where we stayed. It is next door to the twin towers. service is fantastic and a great place to unwind..one of the cleanest and best hotels I have stayed in (and I've stayed in a few!)
Most hotel staff are German trained... (which is a good thing BTW)

Steve

Hi Everyone,

cheers,
Ros
Old May 31st 2006, 12:11 pm
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future

My other half and I spend a couple of months in Malaysia a while ago and agree that KL is a truly amazing city. 4 days in KL is 'about right' you can blitz it and do all the sights in about 2 1/2 days leaving you time to relax and soak up the atmosphere. I would recommend however that you take your time and experience KL properly i.e not as a tourist.
Didn't make it to Langkowie (excuse spelling) but spent just over a week on the Perentian Islands (coral reef just off shore - perfect for snorkeling and white beaches ...)

Hope this helps.
Nick
Old Jun 1st 2006, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Many thanks everyone for your advice.

We'll stick to at least doing a couple of nights in KUL. I think coming from London's November temps to KUL's 30degrees will be quite a shock so we may just have to stay by poolside during the middle of the day.
That can't be bad.

thanks again,

Ros & Andrew
Old Jun 1st 2006, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all
Smile Re: Is 4 nights in Kuala Lumpur too long?

Ros

We have just returned from Perth and we had a stopover at the end of April for 3 nights in KL. It was plenty for what we wanted (bit of shopping, bit of sightseeing). We didnt stay at that hotel, we stayed at the Grand Plaza Park Royal and it was nice and next to a big shopping area (think it was known as Bintang area??).

The humidity was high and the temp was hot and sunny and we had a few showers (didnt alter the humidity).

The shopping centre across from the hotel did DVD's, etc at about 80p each (all worked in Oz & UK) so make sure you have extra space in your case. There was lots to buy at good prices. The hawkers stalls (food courts) were dirt cheap and yummy. We got food and 6 beers in total and it came to about £9!!! Hotel expensive for food and drink. Beer is widely available but wine not so popular.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy whatever you decide.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Yes I would say 2 nights is enough. We can recommendthe radius Hotel, not expensive.

As far as Langkawi goes, we were due to stay there for 2 weeks and ended up staying 4 weeks, loved it! We recommend the AB Motel, beachfront for £15 per nite, it was great.

Hope that helps

The Spinkways
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:33 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Hi Everyone,

cheers,
Ros
Just a friendly warning that KL doesnt do pavements too well, seriously! They just seem to stop at random points so you may find it difficult getting about by foot esp if you have a weane and a pram it may be a real pain in the erse for you!!
I thought KL was quite boring and 2 nights was more than enough, Bangkok? Now THERES an interesting place to visit its a busy historical bustling polluted and simply amazing luv it!.
The best part of KL I though were the Hindu caves outside the city...theyre one of the most sacred sites in the Hindu religion and quite an education! You can get the bus there. KL is such a new city that it doesnt really have that much to offer compared to other major cities of SE Asia. Goto Bangkok!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveyp
We stayed 3 nights in KL, Personally I wish we had had a week, great city and very cheap.

I recommend the Madarin Oriental , where we stayed. It is next door to the twin towers. service is fantastic and a great place to unwind..one of the cleanest and best hotels I have stayed in (and I've stayed in a few!)
Most hotel staff are German trained... (which is a good thing BTW)

Steve

We also stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and it was one of the best Hotels I have stayed in in the world and was sooooo cheap I wanted to pay them more when I checked out. Mind you they did make a cock up on the rooms and asked us if we would mind staying on the top floor in the Presidents suit.

This is the sort of room I would imagine a top pop or film star staying in, I cannot even describe how lush this room was, well it was not a room but more like a 40SQM apartment, I told them that it would be ok but please do not make a mistake with the booking again. lol . K.L is a wonderful city and I would advise the O.P to go to this hotel at least for an evening drink because it has the best views and the coolest bar in the whole of K.L