Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 Weeks to go... tell me it'll be ok...?

3 Weeks to go... tell me it'll be ok...?

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 9:25 pm
canaryoz

jay2602 is on a distinguished road
Default 3 Weeks to go... tell me it'll be ok...?

Hello everyone... We're (me the wife and 3 kids 8, 5, and 1.) leaving old blighty on the 29th for the gold coast (i'll be working in Miami) Just now starting to really nip up : i'm sure its gonna be cool but was hoping some of you senior members or if you're on the gold coast, could give us a heads up, any tips or advice would a welcome boost.... Ta Jay.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to all
Default Re: 3 Weeks to go... tell me it'll be ok...?

Pack a fleece, it get's cool and windy, on the gold coast
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Me and Hubby have been here 6 weeks and I second the bring a fleece advice The cold overnight was a bit of a shock and in one place we stayed (cheap hostel, granted) I wore pyjamas, a hooded jumper (with the hood up!) socks and put a blanket over the bed. Now that was like sleeping in a garden shed so worst case scenario so don't panic!
We're now in a house and have bought a fab comfy bed but we made sure we got a good wool quilt and bought spare blankets just in case.
Plus this might sound a little daft but I was suprised by how quickly it gets dark and once the sun starts going down the temperature noticeably drops. However the days are good, getting warmer with lovely blue skies.
On another note I was woken up by a very noisy Kookaburra this morning I'm sure the novelty will wear off
If you have any questions about the move then do ask!
Good luck with your journey over.
xx
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: 3 Weeks to go... tell me it'll be ok...?

Good luck, house prices here in brissy on the up again, anything from 350K to 450K AUD going instantly multiple offers. There is a house across the road from me went on the market and received many offers, came off the market and within two weeks came back on the market with a new real estate agent and 65K price increase.

I fear that Brissie especially the bayside suburbs are starting to rocket again.

Real estate agents we have talked to (I am well aware that they speak with forked tongues and obviously have a vested interest) think 20% price increase to December 2007 alone.

I must admit that I am definitely seeing these increases, also where I am the True Blue Dinky Di Aussies are moving to the cheaper areas, whilst poms and Ozzies from NSW and Melbourne are taking over
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jay2602
Hello everyone... We're (me the wife and 3 kids 8, 5, and 1.) leaving old blighty on the 29th for the gold coast (i'll be working in Miami) Just now starting to really nip up : i'm sure its gonna be cool but was hoping some of you senior members or if you're on the gold coast, could give us a heads up, any tips or advice would a welcome boost.... Ta Jay.
How are you getting on Jay? Everything going ok?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:58 am
canaryoz

jay2602 is on a distinguished road

Hi Stella, we're now just 5 days away from leaving theese sunny shores of old blighty.... We've had Pickfords in for the last couple of days and they're back today with a 20ft container to take all our belongings so we'll be squating for the rest of our time here. Kids cant contain there excitement, they cant wait to get going. We've secured a holiday let for three weeks near Nobby's beach, fully furnished just $550 p/w while we search for a rental. Family BBQ this w/e (weather permiting) could get emotional, i'll just have to drown my sorrows and hide my excitment at the same time
Cheers Jay.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry its ace here

You'll look back in a few month and think "good move"

Ian
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Don't worry its ace here

You'll look back in a few month and think "good move"

Ian
I agree!