Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2nd Hand cars in Oz

2nd Hand cars in Oz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2nd Hand cars in Oz

Hi,When we were still in the uk we read threads about cars in oz and 2nd hand car prices.Let me tell you that in SA prices are at least double for 2nd hand cars,especially if they are around the 3-4 year old mark or older.We could`nt sell any of our 2 cars in the uk before we left so decided to take my wifes suzuki vitara with us.We could`nt get £3000 pounds for it in uk but here it`s valued at 15000 dollars.My other car I had,nt owned for 12 months so could`nt take it and am still trying to sellin uk for £5000.A peugot hdi here same age and condition would cost me in excess of 30k dollars.It cost me £400 quid plus a few smaller fees to transport the suzuki but with only 35000miles on the clock should do us a good few years here. and stamp duty on 2nd hand cars OUCH!!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Double the UK?

I bought a 2nd hand car in Adelaide and it was far cheaper than the same model in the UK, at the same age, same mileage, same spec. At the time, and at the exchange rate as it was then, it was about £4k cheaper in Adelaide than what we saw on AutoTrader inthe UK.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:48 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd Hand cars in Oz

Originally posted by jockney
Hi,When we were still in the uk we read threads about cars in oz and 2nd hand car prices.Let me tell you that in SA prices are at least double for 2nd hand cars,especially if they are around the 3-4 year old mark or older.We could`nt sell any of our 2 cars in the uk before we left so decided to take my wifes suzuki vitara with us.We could`nt get £3000 pounds for it in uk but here it`s valued at 15000 dollars.My other car I had,nt owned for 12 months so could`nt take it and am still trying to sellin uk for £5000.A peugot hdi here same age and condition would cost me in excess of 30k dollars.It cost me £400 quid plus a few smaller fees to transport the suzuki but with only 35000miles on the clock should do us a good few years here. and stamp duty on 2nd hand cars OUCH!!
Jockney how many PUGS, do you see on Adelaide roads , their as rare as rocking horse Sh**t , thats why they keep their value the novelty value , the yuppies in Adelaide , change their cars like they change their undies , and its flavour of the month car, when you have to do some serious driving ,the european cars dont cut the mustard...... MM
Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:22 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Have a Toyota Corolla hatch automatic 1999 March done 30,000 Sold for £5400 ( have taxed it for a year yesterday - but he doesn't know that) they are letting us keep it until 12 pm on completion day. This will buy us the same car in NSW (but 1800cc) according to the advertisements and we shall of course get a younger one and pay the difference.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by yafm
Have a Toyota Corolla hatch automatic 1999 March done 30,000 Sold for £5400 ( have taxed it for a year yesterday - but he doesn't know that) they are letting us keep it until 12 pm on completion day. This will buy us the same car in NSW (but 1800cc) according to the advertisements and we shall of course get a younger one and pay the difference.
Hi,Colin and yvonne,Glad to hear your plans are so advanced.We met at the essex meet,seems like a long time ago.Best of luck with your new lives and hope it`s all you`ve dreamed of.jockney
Old Oct 30th 2003, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

The best way to compare prices I find.........

www.autotrader.co.uk

www.autotrader.com.au

easy as that!