Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

26 y/o moving to Sydney. Advise please

26 y/o moving to Sydney. Advise please

Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:46 am
Just Joined

RoBjs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 26 y/o moving to Sydney. Advise please

Hi there, I was hoping for a little advise with regards to living in Sydney. I have just received a job offer in Sydney on a company sponsored visa. I will be provided with accommodation for the first month, after that month however i will have to find somewhere to rent, I would appreciate some advise on the best parts of the city.
Bearing in mind that I am a single (straight) 26 year old guy, will be working in Neutral Bay and would like a short commute to work, I like bars and music, also like to surf and dive, so near to the beach would be a bonus.
I will be on a salary of $60k including medical, would this be enough for Sydney and enable me to live comfortably?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 26 y/o moving to Sydney. Advise please

Have a look at cityhobo.com and realestate.com.au and domain.com.au
There are a lot of areas that might suit yuo including kings cross, bondi, newtown and glebe
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Would imagine you'll struggle to find a rental you could afford a short commute from Neutral Bay and near the beach on $60k a year. A quick look on domain.com.au and the cheapest studio flats in the surrounding suburbs are starting at $270/week which would be getting on for 1/3 of your take home pay. At that price in the current rental market there will be a lot of competition as well. If your on temporary company sponsored visa then ask them if they will give you a living away from home allowance (LAFHA). Some do, others don't, needs to be included in contract, but only allowed on temp not permanent visa. It allows you to offset your accomadation and food against income tax, doesn't cost company anything.
Try the Opera Bar, at Opera House on Fri/Sat night. Bit touristy and $9 for a Corona, but as Leslie Nielson said to Priscilla Pressley in Naked Gun : Hmm...nice beaver. Honestly, the city is moving with it.
26yo single guy in Sydney, fill your boots, wish I came here 20 years ago.:curse:
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

RoBjs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Would imagine you'll struggle to find a rental you could afford a short commute from Neutral Bay and near the beach on $60k a year. A quick look on domain.com.au and the cheapest studio flats in the surrounding suburbs are starting at $270/week which would be getting on for 1/3 of your take home pay. At that price in the current rental market there will be a lot of competition as well. If your on temporary company sponsored visa then ask them if they will give you a living away from home allowance (LAFHA). Some do, others don't, needs to be included in contract, but only allowed on temp not permanent visa. It allows you to offset your accomadation and food against income tax, doesn't cost company anything.
Try the Opera Bar, at Opera House on Fri/Sat night. Bit touristy and $9 for a Corona, but as Leslie Nielson said to Priscilla Pressley in Naked Gun : Hmm...nice beaver. Honestly, the city is moving with it.
26yo single guy in Sydney, fill your boots, wish I came here 20 years ago.:curse:
Hi, thanks for the advise. The salary package includes a LAFHA of $15k, plus 45k basic salary. I would probably be looking to rent a shared house/flat to cut down on cost, would also be a good way to meet people as i will be travelling alone. I have been looking on Sydney Gumtree for approximate costs of rental but am unsure of the best areas to be looking at. What is the public transport system in to neutral bay like?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RoBjs
Hi, thanks for the advise. The salary package includes a LAFHA of $15k, plus 45k basic salary. I would probably be looking to rent a shared house/flat to cut down on cost, would also be a good way to meet people as i will be travelling alone. I have been looking on Sydney Gumtree for approximate costs of rental but am unsure of the best areas to be looking at. What is the public transport system in to neutral bay like?
Don't know anything about public transport that side of the harbour but from what I've used it's reasonably OK where I live going into city on train or ferry. Do a search online and you should be able to get hold of Sydney bus/train and ferry maps and timetables and use them and domain.com.au/Gumtree/realestate.com.au to try and find somewhere walkable to a transport stop. Cremorne, Cammeray, North Sydney and Crows Nest are all surrounding suburbs but they ain't cheap. A car shouldn't be necessary if you get the right place. Bear in mind that Sydney covers a bloody big area for the amount of population and commuting times can be long. $15k LAFHA should be OK to cover shared rental and food. $45k minus tax would be about $600 a week which should be enough to enjoy yourself. Sounds like an OK deal to me.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to be working in Neutral Bay, then try and live as close to Neutral Bay as possible. The whole lower North Shore area is full of people sharing flats, so you'd have a lot to choose from. It's an easy ferry ride to the city for nights out and close to Manly for the beach. Perfect really...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

You'll be fine on $60k as a single male. It equates to $900 take home.

$350 1 bedroom unit within walking distance of work in NB. http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...CUnit&p=30&o=d
$100 food
$20 phone
$20 elec

You still have $400 left over each week for extras and partying. If you can't survive and even save on this then you have some major budgeting issues.