Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st post...coming over to perth in april for a reckie

1st post...coming over to perth in april for a reckie

Old Nov 27th 2004, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future
Default 1st post...coming over to perth in april for a reckie

hello all been reading the posts for a while now as we have been planning a reckie to perth in april if all goes well and we are taken by the area we will applying for 136 visa when we get back we have an agent ready to do this for us..so here goes for a few questions

1.i am an electrician can anyone tell me what the work situation is like after i get my license.

2.we will have our 2 daughters ( 4 & 2) we dont want to be dragging them endlessly round suburbs looking at houses so we goin to do 2 days family stuff and 1 day homework so can anyone recommend any good places for us to visit with the anklesnappers,zoos parks etc

3.also what will the weather like temp wise in begining of april i take it we need plenty of sunscreen.

4.also any recommendations for areas to do extensive legwork in we will be stopping in ocean reef or connolly, which areas have good schools?

5.finally if there are any meet ups would you mind if we tagged along to hear people who have been there done it points of view.

thanks for reading my post and thanks in advance for your replys

and also congrats to all those who have got their visas

karl
Old Nov 27th 2004, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st post...coming over to perth in april for a reckie

Can't help, but welcome to the site
Old Nov 27th 2004, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I cant help you much either, as I am in Victoria. But just so you are not wondering why you arent getting any responses...the Perth folk are most likely at the moment. Its only 8am here on the East coast....8am?? Crap...its Sunday morning........why am I up at 8am?? :scared:

I am sure there will be loads of help from people in a few hours.....Oh, and welcome to the site.

Hels
Old Nov 29th 2004, 2:51 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baggie
hello all been reading the posts for a while now as we have been planning a reckie to perth in april if all goes well and we are taken by the area we will applying for 136 visa when we get back we have an agent ready to do this for us..so here goes for a few questions

1.i am an electrician can anyone tell me what the work situation is like after i get my license.

2.we will have our 2 daughters ( 4 & 2) we dont want to be dragging them endlessly round suburbs looking at houses so we goin to do 2 days family stuff and 1 day homework so can anyone recommend any good places for us to visit with the anklesnappers,zoos parks etc

3.also what will the weather like temp wise in begining of april i take it we need plenty of sunscreen.

4.also any recommendations for areas to do extensive legwork in we will be stopping in ocean reef or connolly, which areas have good schools?

5.finally if there are any meet ups would you mind if we tagged along to hear people who have been there done it points of view.

karl
Welcome to the site Karl!

Thought I'd bump this to see if you get a response. Sorry I can't help you myself.

Anyone from Perth have any useful advice?
Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

karl
We did a reckie in August. Hubby is a brickie so we just stopped whenever we saw an Oz brickie and grilled him about the work situation. Was the best thing we could have done, got loads of info and some contacts for when we return !!

As for the kids, Kings Park is lovely and there is a fab fairy shop in Fremantle. Caversham Wildlife Park is supposed to be superb (we didn't visit as we didn't take our kids but everyone recommended it), Perth zoo and loads of other stuff to do depending on the area you are staying in and what you want to do.

We didn't go SOR and stuck to Mandurah and surrounding areas but Ocean Reef is supposed to be lovely.

Sorry I can't help more.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:07 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

karl
1. Sparky.... shit loads of work.
2. Zoo, Plenty of indoor playgyms, parks, beaches
3. Weather warm about 25 but a chance of a shower and cooler in the evening
4. Which schools and areas to live in depend on how much money you got, there are so many, its often easier to say which ones not to go to, like Balga, Girrawheen, Koondoola etc.
5 Sure you would be more than welcome, but i dont know whats planned cos i dont even know what i am doing tomorrow. But i do on Thursday cos its GOLF woohoo
Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

karl
We did a reckie to Perth last April - we stayed in Edgewater and Padbury (both Northern Suberbs). Like you we had to carefully manage the 'holiday' and 'reckie' aspects. If you are going to look around schools make sure you look when their holidays are - we only had a couple of days to visit schools when we landed because of their holidays being different to our school holidays (even over easter - except easter weekend of course)

If you would be putting your kids into one of the private schools (lake joondalup, st stephens, etc) you would be well advised to visit and put them on the waiting list now - as i understand it the lists are quite long.

We went to Caversham Wildlife Park - it was very good. Also took a trip to Mandurrah - was well worth it - trip around the canals dolphin spotting.

Last year weather in April was what we would consider a great summer - blue and sunny most days 23-26 degs. The Aussie and expats who have been there a while would probably consider it a bit chilly In fact we had looks of amazement by the Poms in Perth guy when he saw that we were in the pool (actually that was quite cold, but hey...)

Dunno about the work for electricians, but with all the building of houses etc, i suspect you would be fine

Hope that helps and good luck with your trip

Dave, Helen & Nathan
Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

thanks for all your replies some good tips amongst them we have booked a house thru poms in perth and are now getting very excited.
it's pretty bad when you cant wait till after xmas for something as with the kids xlas should be a high point of the year eh.

once again thanks for all your help and hope to be able to help others soon

karl