Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st Oz Tax Return Coming Up - DIY or Go Pro? - Melbourne Recommendations?

1st Oz Tax Return Coming Up - DIY or Go Pro? - Melbourne Recommendations?

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of
Default 1st Oz Tax Return Coming Up - DIY or Go Pro? - Melbourne Recommendations?

Wondering what the prevailing thought on completing your first Australian Tax Return is?

1) DIY
or

2) Ask a professional - if so would love a tip for someone cheap/in CBD

My defacto hasn't been working and we will have been here 12 months so I'm unsure whether that means more/less hassle/Tax Returns to complete after July 1st.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1st Oz Tax Return Coming Up - DIY or Go Pro? - Melbourne Recommendations?

We used a tax consultant first time, then moved to DIY. In hindsight, being a mature couple without kids, not self-employed and without a mortgage, we could have gone the DIY route the first time too. However, it did give us a rough idea of how to go about it, what to look for and where to find the info so not a total waste of cash. Can't recommend a consultant in Melbourne because we are based in Sydney.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

trice_ie will become famous soon enoughtrice_ie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1st Oz Tax Return Coming Up - DIY or Go Pro? - Melbourne Recommendations?

Defo go pro you can claim cost back in tax return next year
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, second that - the system here is a bit inpenetrable (a great revenue earner!) but a good accountant if you can find one can help you through that - I just wish I could find one
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It is simple. I have done every one myself.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 2:38 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on circumstances. If you are employed with only a single income source and minimal claimable expenses then DIY is simple. If you are self-employed with various sources of income and expenses then a tax accountant is definitely the way to go.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Depends on how clued up you are and how complicated your tax situation.

You could always try DIY by using the ATO online tax return and see how you go. If you find it too complicated get a tax pro.

Must admit I tried the online route last year but found it so complicted I returned to DIY paper version and mine is pretty complicated with dividends, property income from Nz, investment income, etc

I used the online system to provide me with info to fill in my paper return as it automatically access all your Oz income (well most of it) and shows it too you.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Always get a professional to do it, they'll save you more than the cost in the 1st year, then you can claim back the fee in the 2nd. Unless you're an Australian tax expert never do your own regardless of what type of employment you do, unless you like losing money that is.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Always get a professional to do it, they'll save you more than the cost in the 1st year, then you can claim back the fee in the 2nd. Unless you're an Australian tax expert never do your own regardless of what type of employment you do, unless you like losing money that is.
Have to disagree with this

I do my own every year on line and find it really simple to use. If your tax affairs are fairly straightforward and there is nothing to claim for, like in our case, then DIY is the way to go. We always end up having to pay tax because of our savings, and I'm sure even an accountant couldn't find their way around that.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I claim probably $250-300 a year expenses and always get a decent tax return doing my own.
The only reason to use a tax person here seems to be if you have a complicated case, are self employed, or are trying to dishonestly claim things which you are not entitled. I know a couple of people who have had to pay tax back in the last few years as their tax accountant got audited. Nearly every Aussie I speak to who uses one boasts about how much extra their tax person can get them that they are not entitled to.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 11:41 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i am an accountant. so its DIY for me lol
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Question Re: 1st Oz Tax Return Coming Up - DIY or Go Pro? - Melbourne Recommendations?

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I claim probably $250-300 a year expenses and always get a decent tax return doing my own.
What are the types of expenses you can claim for? Any weblinks?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Have to disagree with this

I do my own every year on line and find it really simple to use. If your tax affairs are fairly straightforward and there is nothing to claim for, like in our case, then DIY is the way to go. We always end up having to pay tax because of our savings, and I'm sure even an accountant couldn't find their way around that.
Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
The only reason to use a tax person here seems to be if you have a complicated case, are self employed, or are trying to dishonestly claim things which you are not entitled. I know a couple of people who have had to pay tax back in the last few years as their tax accountant got audited. Nearly every Aussie I speak to who uses one boasts about how much extra their tax person can get them that they are not entitled to.
Agree with both of these.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
What are the types of expenses you can claim for? Any weblinks?
It depends what field you work in. I work outdoors so can claim for sunscreen, sun glasses, steel toe capped boots, rain jackets, laundering branded work clothes etc. It gives examples in the online tax thingy. You can claim upto $300 without sending in the receipts (but they could ask for them). After that amount I believe you need all the reciepts.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:18 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by towers
Wondering what the prevailing thought on completing your first Australian Tax Return is?

1) DIY
or

2) Ask a professional - if so would love a tip for someone cheap/in CBD

My defacto hasn't been working and we will have been here 12 months so I'm unsure whether that means more/less hassle/Tax Returns to complete after July 1st.

Thanks in advance!
First year I would do the tax return with etax yourself but not submit it. Then go to an agent and get them to do your return and see how you went and if there was any difference. $100 spent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.