Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

18 year old daughter needs help/advice

18 year old daughter needs help/advice

Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:57 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 18 year old daughter needs help/advice

We moved over to qsd early february being told we could enrol our 17 year old daughter into local school to complete year 12...........after visiting school she wil not attend due to her being the eldest in her class. the school suggested she go to TAFE.

Now she has been informed she has missed the january intake and been told she cant attend until JULY !!!!!!!!!!

We are desperate for her to make friends...........if things dont turn around she will be back in the UK and not return until July, we cant face that, if she goes we all go.

Any advice please.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 year old daughter needs help/advice

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
We moved over to qsd early february being told we could enrol our 17 year old daughter into local school to complete year 12...........after visiting school she wil not attend due to her being the eldest in her class. the school suggested she go to TAFE.

Now she has been informed she has missed the january intake and been told she cant attend until JULY !!!!!!!!!!

We are desperate for her to make friends...........if things dont turn around she will be back in the UK and not return until July, we cant face that, if she goes we all go.

Any advice please.
Can she get a part time job until she starts school? Or maybe join a club of some sort?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Id also say getting a part time job may help. Most of my sons friends(age 17) work in the local shops. In fact my local Coles and Woolworths is full of teens.
This would be a good way of meeting teens before TAFE.
Most of the teens work after school and weekends, also many have a year out post Year 12 and do local part time work.

Otherwise ask if TAFE has a short course she could join for now.

Gems
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:20 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

As you know, my daughter (18) has just arrived in Australia two/three weeks ago and missed the beginning of term. (not that she wanted to go back to school!) She is currently looking for a retail job and is planning on applying for QUT for a June mid term start. She is looking at doing a one year course which will lead to the 3 year degree course both at uni, with the degree course following on, which I think is a good option.

I think that she realises that the key to her finding friends in the meantime is to get a job. It also helps to pay for cars, concert tickets and clothes etc.

She is also going to the teenage meet up being organised for this coming Sunday 1st (look on meet ups) which is being held not too far away from you.

She is applying for jobs in Robina too, as they have some new stores opening.

P.M. me, if you would like to know more.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised that at 17 she's the eldest in the class My daughter will be 17 before the end of Grade 11 and she's not alone and I know we have 18 year olds in Grade 12. Is there another school she could try? Lots of kids have come out and whilst they've finished GCSE's in the UK decided to start Grade 11 and 12 so they get the necessary OP for Uni.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Qld and my daughter will turn 17 at the end of Year 11 and will be 18 just before she completes Year 12. Your daughter is not too old to enter Year 12 here in Qld.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:34 am
Just Joined

hanaash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Can she get a part time job until she starts school? Or maybe join a club of some sort?
Hi im writing this on behalf of my daughter Hannah, who is in a sililar boat. We are moving to Qld for similar reasons from thge North Coast. Hannah has been told here that school would not be her best option. She desperately wants to get to uni but hasnt the entry requirements. She has returned to the uk once, by herself and has recently returned. She also is lonely and looking for friends. we will be in the southport area.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hanaash
Hi im writing this on behalf of my daughter Hannah, who is in a sililar boat. We are moving to Qld for similar reasons from thge North Coast. Hannah has been told here that school would not be her best option. She desperately wants to get to uni but hasnt the entry requirements. She has returned to the uk once, by herself and has recently returned. She also is lonely and looking for friends. we will be in the southport area.
Once they are 17 TAFE and University do courses that will allow them to get enough credits to apply to QTAC for university entrance selection.

Contact the local university or Tafe of where you will be living.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:10 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Once they are 17 TAFE and University do courses that will allow them to get enough credits to apply to QTAC for university entrance selection.

Contact the local university or Tafe of where you will be living.
We have discovered this too. My daughter can do a 1 year course at the university and as long as she meets the required points/standard at the end of the course, she will have guaranteed access onto her chosen uni degree course.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsly will become famous soon enough

Check out the "Teen" threads on the "Meet-ups" section. I just moved back to Australia after being in Switzerland for 6 years. I posted a message on this site, and literally days after i met a bunch of kick ass people.

If you head over there and take a look, your daughters are bound to meet us. Just send soaps a message. Very Friendly people.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600757