Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

17 YEAR OLD SON - SCHOOLING OPTIONS

17 YEAR OLD SON - SCHOOLING OPTIONS

Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey1of5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 17 YEAR OLD SON - SCHOOLING OPTIONS

Hi, we are hoping to be over in Australia in August 2009 (if we ever get the visa), my son is 17 and will be 18 in January next year. I wondered if there was anyone who could possibly give me some advise on the best options for him. He says he wouldn't mind going back to school if he had to, as he is at college here at the moment. I really want to start thinking about whats best for him as i would hate it if he decided perhaps it would be better to stay in England (that would have a bit impact on our final decisions).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trace
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:51 pm
Got Visa

hopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nice
Default Re: 17 YEAR OLD SON - SCHOOLING OPTIONS

I have the same problem with my 17 year old daughter, but she does not fancy going back to school. We are hoping to get her into Tafe to do hairdressing.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Hi Tracey,

I understand totally where you are coming from. We came over 3 years ago and our middle son was 16 having just completed his GCSE's. He had been looking forward to getting out of school uniform and going to college in the UK like his older brother had done. He wasn't to happy about the idea of going back to school but when he got here and met his peers at school and realised thats what they were all doing it wasn't so bad. Even if he did take a bit of harmless mocking from big Bro about the short pants and long socks in summer and the "Stripey"blazer in the winter! He loved his new school and was soon quite proudly wearing the uniform.

When he left he was asked by the head to give a speach at the valadictory assembly because he was one of the new boys in the senior school. I was totally blown away when he stood up in front of the whole school, his younger brother, teachers and parents and said that the two years he had spent at that school had been the best of his life and his only regret was that he hadn't been there longer.

Have faith, choose the right place for him and I'm sure it will be fine. At 18 he may well with his GCSE's be able just to go into school and do Year 12 VCE, it will be hard work but for a lot of subjects you don't need to have done Year 11. Did he go to college in the UK and do any AS levels?

Another option if he wants to go into a trade would be a TAFE, these are like the 6 form coleges in the UK, but most don't do much necessarily in the way of VCE if he wants to go to Uni he will need this to get and ENTER score.

A third option is to go to something like Taylors College up in the CBD. This is a private college so you would have to pay but may be an option that you can at least show him. I think the website is www.taylorscollege.edu.au

We brought 3 sons across then aged 12, 16 and 18, now 15, 19 and 21. They all love it here, have made fantastic friends. The youngest is still at the same school, but the 19 Yo starts uni next month after taking a gap year and the eldest returns to Qld to uni next week to start his Masters having just completed his BSc.

I hope your son settles and is as happy here as ours have been. Its a huge move but none of ours have regreted it for a minute.

Good Luck.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Hi Tracey,

I understand totally where you are coming from. We came over 3 years ago and our middle son was 16 having just completed his GCSE's. He had been looking forward to getting out of school uniform and going to college in the UK like his older brother had done. He wasn't to happy about the idea of going back to school but when he got here and met his peers at school and realised thats what they were all doing it wasn't so bad. Even if he did take a bit of harmless mocking from big Bro about the short pants and long socks in summer and the "Stripey"blazer in the winter! He loved his new school and was soon quite proudly wearing the uniform.

When he left he was asked by the head to give a speach at the valadictory assembly because he was one of the new boys in the senior school. I was totally blown away when he stood up in front of the whole school, his younger brother, teachers and parents and said that the two years he had spent at that school had been the best of his life and his only regret was that he hadn't been there longer.

Have faith, choose the right place for him and I'm sure it will be fine. At 18 he may well with his GCSE's be able just to go into school and do Year 12 VCE, it will be hard work but for a lot of subjects you don't need to have done Year 11. Did he go to college in the UK and do any AS levels?

Another option if he wants to go into a trade would be a TAFE, these are like the 6 form coleges in the UK, but most don't do much necessarily in the way of VCE if he wants to go to Uni he will need this to get and ENTER score.

A third option is to go to something like Taylors College up in the CBD. This is a private college so you would have to pay but may be an option that you can at least show him. I think the website is www.taylorscollege.edu.au

We brought 3 sons across then aged 12, 16 and 18, now 15, 19 and 21. They all love it here, have made fantastic friends. The youngest is still at the same school, but the 19 Yo starts uni next month after taking a gap year and the eldest returns to Qld to uni next week to start his Masters having just completed his BSc.

I hope your son settles and is as happy here as ours have been. Its a huge move but none of ours have regreted it for a minute.

Good Luck.
Hi Smartinis

We are planning to move to Sydney in August 2010 with my son who will be 16 years old at the time. I worry terribly about how he will settle and about schooling/TAFE options. Reading your post has really cheered me up - great to hear that all of your sons have settled well and made friends. Thanks.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi Tracey,

Good Luck.
Hi, thank you so much, that info is very helpful. Its so great that it all worked out so well for you all. You must have been very proud of your lad.

My lad did his GCSEs and by august this year he will have completed a year a college, but i don't think this will make any difference to him in Australia. I do think it will be better for him to go back to school. Can he drop back a year at school? would that be an option so he wouldn't be behind when he started. He'll def be going to some sort of school though so at least he will be able to make new friends his own age, which i think will make a big difference on whether he will settle or not.

Trace
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi again Smartinis, could i just quickly ask, what did you eldest son of 18 do when he first arrived in Australia?
Trace
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:25 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Just to clarify what TAFE is:

Technical and Further Education or TAFE as it is commonly referred to offer courses designed for:
  • young people preparing for their first job
  • mature age people looking to train or retrain
  • people preparing for university studies

Courses offered at TAFE provide students with practical skills that are transferable to the workplace. Most TAFE courses are based on national competency standards that are set around industry training packages. These packages are designed to produce a nationally consistent curriculum and levels of training so that students receive the same standard of training no matter which TAFE they attend.

The content of courses run by TAFE are vocationally orientated and require students to undertake practical placements in the workplace. This aspect to TAFE courses provides employers with the knowledge that TAFE graduates have practical experience in applying their skills. Most TAFE courses are developed in consultation with industry.

There are currently six levels of courses offered by TAFE from Certificate I - IV in a wide range of trade and non trade areas in addition to Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses. A small number of TAFE institutes also offer higher education courses such as Bachelor degrees, Graduate Certificates and Graduated Diplomas in selected fields of study.

TAFE graduates can claim credit toward higher level TAFE qualifications and toward some university degrees. TAFE graduates with a Diploma may also be eligible for some university courses in a similar field and be given credit or recognition for prior learning.

It is also possible to get accreditation of prior learning (APL) i.e. get established qualifications or work experience mapped against Australian qualifications.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter

Technical and Further Education or TAFE as it is commonly referred to offer courses designed for:

Courses offered at TAFE provide students with practical skills that are transferable to the workplace. Most TAFE courses are based on national competency standards that are set around industry training packages. These packages are designed to produce a nationally consistent curriculum and levels of training so that students receive the same standard of training no matter which TAFE they attend.

The content of courses run by TAFE are vocationally orientated and require students to undertake practical placements in the workplace. This aspect to TAFE courses provides employers with the knowledge that TAFE graduates have practical experience in applying their skills. Most TAFE courses are developed in consultation with industry.

There are currently six levels of courses offered by TAFE from Certificate I - IV in a wide range of trade and non trade areas in addition to Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses. A small number of TAFE institutes also offer higher education courses such as Bachelor degrees, Graduate Certificates and Graduated Diplomas in selected fields of study.

TAFE graduates can claim credit toward higher level TAFE qualifications and toward some university degrees. TAFE graduates with a Diploma may also be eligible for some university courses in a similar field and be given credit or recognition for prior learning.

It is also possible to get accreditation of prior learning (APL) i.e. get established qualifications or work experience mapped against Australian qualifications.
Thanks Woodcutter, that is great info on TAFE. Think i'll look more into TAFE as my lad has mentioned that he doesn't really fancy going to Uni anyway so that may be a better option for him. Then he can still make friends his own age also.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Sarah17 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tracey1of5
Hi, we are hoping to be over in Australia in August 2009 (if we ever get the visa), my son is 17 and will be 18 in January next year. I wondered if there was anyone who could possibly give me some advise on the best options for him. He says he wouldn't mind going back to school if he had to, as he is at college here at the moment. I really want to start thinking about whats best for him as i would hate it if he decided perhaps it would be better to stay in England (that would have a bit impact on our final decisions).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trace

Hi Tracey

We are moving in April all being well, was suppose to of been the end of last year however the credit crunch kind of messed things up a bit. Given when we will be arriving it means my sister and myself will of missed the start of the school year. I turned 18 last month and should of gone straight into year 11 however given we are arriving late it was decided that they would put me in year 10 with my younger sister for the last half of the school year so as to get used to being back at school, get up to speed with the work and be fully prepared to start year 11 at the begining of 2010. Obviously having to spend another year at school isnt making me happy and certainly having to wear a uniform again, i thought i was done with them! To be honest im dreading having to go back to school specially at my age but my parents decided it was best, at least i'll make friends easier i suppose. If your son doesnt mind going back to school then everything should be pretty straight forward for you. If not then maybe TAFE would be the best option for him like has been mentioned in the other posts. The best thing you can do is let him decide because it will be a big adjustment at his age to go from being a college student who's treated like an adult to being a schoolkid again and treated like a child again.

Hope that helps

Sarah
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:39 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter

I'm doing a Certificate 3 Business Admin at Brisbane North (Bracken Ridge) TAFE and I have found that their administration and course staff are the most disorganised ever. Last semester, it took them 2 weeks after the course started to decide what texts were to be used.
This semester they changed the nights from Tuesday/Wednesday to Monday/Wednesday this week (informed students - not, until they sent a sms text on Tuesday arvo 10/02) and then changed Monday/Wednesday to Monday/Tuesday (again not informed until the Wednesday arvo of the changes by text). This all happened this week within a space of 60 hours (course was supposed to start on 10/02).
If confused from reading this, please see it from my perspective.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tracey1of5
Hi again Smartinis, could i just quickly ask, what did you eldest son of 18 do when he first arrived in Australia?
Trace
Hi Trace,

We arrived in the Septmeber and he started Uni the following February. Originally he was going to take a gap year when he arrived but decided when we arrived that he would rather go straight to uni as he planned to go to Uni in Qld when we live in Melbourne and I don't htink he wanted to start to settle and make friends here and then have to up and leave again a year later. Both he and his 16 brother had a long summer holiday that year as both had finished school in the UK in May. But it was great for them. The only slight hassle was applying for a place as the uni required his certificates and not just his grades and in the UK the certificates don't usually come out until November, so we had to have them flown out and then he had to apply for an ENTER score etc. But he got a place easily and has never regretted it.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sarah17
Hi Tracey

We are moving in April all being well, was suppose to of been the end of last year however the credit crunch kind of messed things up a bit. Given when we will be arriving it means my sister and myself will of missed the start of the school year. I turned 18 last month and should of gone straight into year 11 however given we are arriving late it was decided that they would put me in year 10 with my younger sister for the last half of the school year so as to get used to being back at school, get up to speed with the work and be fully prepared to start year 11 at the begining of 2010. Obviously having to spend another year at school isnt making me happy and certainly having to wear a uniform again, i thought i was done with them! To be honest im dreading having to go back to school specially at my age but my parents decided it was best, at least i'll make friends easier i suppose. If your son doesnt mind going back to school then everything should be pretty straight forward for you. If not then maybe TAFE would be the best option for him like has been mentioned in the other posts. The best thing you can do is let him decide because it will be a big adjustment at his age to go from being a college student who's treated like an adult to being a schoolkid again and treated like a child again.

Hope that helps

Sarah
Thanks Sarah, Ben has just informed me after reading your reply that he doesn't want to go back to school, so i think TAFE is it. Hope it all goes well for you in April and beyond. Let us know how you get on.

Take care and all the very best.

Trace
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I'm doing a Certificate 3 Business Admin at Brisbane North (Bracken Ridge) TAFE and I have found that their administration and course staff are the most disorganised ever. Last semester, it took them 2 weeks after the course started to decide what texts were to be used.
This semester they changed the nights from Tuesday/Wednesday to Monday/Wednesday this week (informed students - not, until they sent a sms text on Tuesday arvo 10/02) and then changed Monday/Wednesday to Monday/Tuesday (again not informed until the Wednesday arvo of the changes by text). This all happened this week within a space of 60 hours (course was supposed to start on 10/02).
If confused from reading this, please see it from my perspective.
Hi the bloke, Thanks for your point of view on TAFE, i guess there will be different views from different courses/colleges won't there. I hope things start to improve for you. Let me know how things pan out.
Trace
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi Trace,

We arrived in the Septmeber and he started Uni the following February. Originally he was going to take a gap year when he arrived but decided when we arrived that he would rather go straight to uni as he planned to go to Uni in Qld when we live in Melbourne and I don't htink he wanted to start to settle and make friends here and then have to up and leave again a year later. Both he and his 16 brother had a long summer holiday that year as both had finished school in the UK in May. But it was great for them. The only slight hassle was applying for a place as the uni required his certificates and not just his grades and in the UK the certificates don't usually come out until November, so we had to have them flown out and then he had to apply for an ENTER score etc. But he got a place easily and has never regretted it.
Hi, im really pleased things worked out well for him. You are probably very proud of your kids and how they have settled. Ben has told me now that he would probably prefer TAFE, so i am looking into that for him.

All the best for you and yours
Trace