Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

136visa (as a nurse)Help!

136visa (as a nurse)Help!

Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all
Default 136visa (as a nurse)Help!

Anybody give advice on 136,be very grateful. Qualified as a nurse in April 2006. I realise that i require 12months experience, but if the process takes some time am i able to begin applying now, or must i wait until i have 12months experience first? Additionally,i have had inital contact with a nursing agency who want me to register with the Qld nursing board first (would like to live in Brisbane area), but reading the criterea for a 136, i have to register with the ANMC. Help
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 136visa (as a nurse)Help!

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Anybody give advice on 136,be very grateful. Qualified as a nurse in April 2006. I realise that i require 12months experience, but if the process takes some time am i able to begin applying now, or must i wait until i have 12months experience first? Additionally,i have had inital contact with a nursing agency who want me to register with the Qld nursing board first (would like to live in Brisbane area), but reading the criterea for a 136, i have to register with the ANMC. Help

Welcome to BE. Can't help you re the visa as I am going on my OH (Other half) 457 visa. Someone will help. There is a separate nurses forum if you scroll down under forum index.
Good luck.
Louise
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Louise M
Welcome to BE. Can't help you re the visa as I am going on my OH (Other half) 457 visa. Someone will help. There is a separate nurses forum if you scroll down under forum index.
Good luck.
Louise
ahh, many thanks!!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:19 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

The ANMC is the body that does the nursing skills assessment you need the skill assessment before you can apply for the 136. I don't think you can apply for visa until you have 12 months under your belt but you can certainly get your skills assessment under way.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:42 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply to register with the state you wish to live and work in first. Then you do a modified skills assessment with the ANMC. It works out cheaper too!
As far as I'm aware you can apply to have your skills assessed before the 12 months as this only determines that you are qualified. You will then have to wait the 12 months to send of the main visa application.
Have a look at the nurses forum, you will find loads of info on there.
Good luck,
Tracey
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:22 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya - Congratulations on qualifying! Have you got a job here?
I am a student midwife and aiming for Brisbane once I have qualified. I don't think that you can apply for the 136 until the 12months experience is gained. I am not sure if this helps but I am going to try on a sponsored visa as I do not want to wait to get the experience. So you could start looking for an employer now and if you get sponsored apply that way asap!
I know that I have to registered with the Qld Nursing Board - a bit like the NMC... I am also joining the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council.
I have been advised to contact the hospitals directly and you can do that through the government site: www.health.gov.au as the agencies tend to get a cut of your earnings!
Good luck and if I can help please PM me
Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody give advice on 136,be very grateful. Qualified as a nurse in April 2006. I realise that i require 12months experience, but if the process takes some time am i able to begin applying now, or must i wait until i have 12months experience first?
You need the 12 months before you apply. You can reduce this to 6 months by going for a state sponsored visa (participating states only) or to zero by applying for a regional employer visa (RSMS)

Additionally,i have had inital contact with a nursing agency who want me to register with the Qld nursing board first (would like to live in Brisbane area), but reading the criterea for a 136, i have to register with the ANMC.
Be careful. The agency may only want you to be on a temporary visa, lots of people have had hassle that way.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:53 am
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Yep you need 12 months to be independant and the rest as JAJ noted. Just a word of advice though...It can be very very different here when you are working as a nurse or a midwife (i'm both) compared to the UK so if i were you come on an independant visa so you can move if the job/place/people/atmosphere is awful.
Another way to get more hours so your starting paypoint here is higher is to work some agency/nurse bank or extra hours. These hours then add up and can increase your pay point quite substantially when you sign on with your agency or human resources, plus you'll have more money in the bank!!
Check out the nurses forum for more info
Lucy