12 months in...

Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 12 months in...

Hello all,
I dont get on here much anymore, but I've been feeling reflective this week as its our first oz anniversary, and as so many of us disapear on arrival I decided to post a quick summary of our first year here.
For those that dont remember us we came to brisbane from birmingham, we live in the bayside area. Jobs were easy for us but we'd researched it well before arrival and knew we both had in demand professions. We both had to take a step down careerwise but dont earn much less than in the uk and both work less hours.
We have a modest 3 bedroom house with a pool and seperate granny flat for visitors, which is just about walkable to the sea, and handy for schools, shops etc, we bought this for exactly the same amount as we sold our 3 bed semi in brum.
We have a 6 year old daughter, who has settled well, we initially sent her to the local state school but were unhappy for a number of reasons, she now attends a private school, which was a reluctant decision on our part, but seems to be working out well for her.
We have met lots of people, and have been made very welcome wherever we've been. The friends that we like most and see most tend to be other expats, not all english but other european people and south african.I do have some ausie friends, but find the endless rounds of barbeques a bit mind numbing, and seem to have less in common, this of course may have as much to do with individual personalities as nationality!
My husband has been really settled and happy here from the day we arrived, I have struggled with homesickness, and still desperately miss my english friends and family. I go back in March and it will be interesting to see if that cures my homesickness or makes it worse, on balance though, despite missing people I'm not sure I want to go back to live, at least not for a few years.
I love the extra time we seem to have, the fantastic options we have every weekend, the weather, the pool. I dont like the supermarkets, the stepford wife mentality and the fact that its so hard to buy nice jeans!
Its been a big year, and I look forward to the next 12 months and the magic 2 year mark when everyone tells me I'll suddenly feel settled,
Good luck everyone,
Michaela
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:13 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 months in...

Hi Michaela!!

Good to hear from you...I wondered where you'd got to! It's also good to read a post from someone who's been there a while now...and long since got over the 'honeymoon' period.

I think your trip over in March will do you good...it will at least get things straight in your head. You're naturally missing family & friends but when you get over here you'll remember why you left this grubby, polluted island in the first place!

Take care

Petra
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:21 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi michaela,
OMG - YOU HAVE BEEN THERE A YEAR ALREADY!!!!!!!????????????????????
I cant beleive it!!!
bluddy ell, im still in the same position i was 2 years ago!!!!

anyway chuck, great to hear its all going well for you - hope the homesickness gets better as the time goes by. I must be lucky, cos i dont have close family and friends (except one or two that i hardly ever see, just chat on the phone and online to!)
Glad to hear the young un has settled in too - we need details aabout schools etc!!!! speshly bayside.
We are hoping to get over for xmas and new year, only for a recce though cos hubby still isnt 100% decided (changes his mind as often as his underpants kind of thing!) so keep in touch, we can meet up for a or two!!

take care

sue
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Hi Sue and Petra,
I cant believe its a year already either!
I think most of the schools round here are pretty good Sue, our concerns wouldnt have been a problem to everyone but we were unhappy about it, as the kids here generally start school a bit later Millie was ahead of other kids her age, consequently she was put in a class where the majority of children were 8 years old (she'd just turned 6) I think little girls grow up too quickly anyway and didnt want this for her. Incidentally, many people have told me that it all evens out around age 9 so she probably would have been held back for a year or two which isnt great for confidence either!
Petra, whats the latest on your house saga? when are you coming?
Sue, it'd be great to finally meet when you come over, will stay in touch,
Michaela x
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:36 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

we've sold the house....phew! ....only taken 13 months!

Hoping to complete at the end of march....everything crossed...hope to fly out beginning of May (hubby has to work a months notice) We're looking at settling in the Buderim/Mt Creek area. It would be great to meet for a few when we get over!!

Petra
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:56 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by artep

Hoping to complete at the end of march....everything crossed...hope to fly out beginning of May (hubby has to work a months notice) We're looking at settling in the Buderim/Mt Creek area. It would be great to meet for a few when we get over!!

Petra

You mean the house saga is over at long last???????// Congrats Petra, I doubted if your sanity could have taken much more.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
You mean the house saga is over at long last???????// Congrats Petra, I doubted if your sanity could have taken much more.
I don't think our sanity could have taken much more

Hello Michaela,
You certainly sound settled.

Have you found any decent sausages yet ?
Can't find any up here in Cairns
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:58 pm
....is FAB

Originally Posted by Bordy
Believe me...it's NOT been fun and I'm glad the end is in sight.......bugger I know I'm gonna regret saying that BIG time! it ain't signed & sealed yet!!

Originally Posted by Bix
I don't think our sanity could have taken much more
....who said you were sane????
Old Feb 17th 2005, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Michaela,

It's unbeleivable that it's been a year already for you! Doesn't time fly when you're having fun!!!

I totally understand where you're coming from with the homesickness thing, it's still there for me and we're just over 7 months in. I'm getting really fed up with the dull ache in the gut routine now

Great that you're off to sunny Brum in March. It'll do you good to be back in the family fold again. I'm hoping to go back in June for my Dad's 70th. I'm feeling like you, maybe this trip will be a 'kill or cure' thing. Maybe we'll come back to Oz with a different perspective? Somehow I don't think so!

xxx
Old Feb 17th 2005, 5:17 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Petra
congratualtions!!!! You must like a great weight has lifted of your shoulders.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 6:00 pm
....is FAB

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
congratualtions!!!! You must like a great weight has lifted of your shoulders.
I will when the money's in the bank!!!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 6:04 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will when the money's in the bank!!!
Yeah, I know what you mean... Good luck
I am on with 4 agents, not desperate or anything
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michaela,
Doesn't seem possible you've been here a year does it! And about to make your second trip back - lucky soul......
Sounds like we could have some good nights when Sue and Petra finally get here too.
Heres to Year Two
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Yeah, I know what you mean... Good luck
I am on with 4 agents, not desperate or anything
You could have 50 agents working for you, still won't make any difference if the price is too high for buyers to afford it.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Petra, will look forward to a big celebratory drink when you arrive

Tracey, I'll report back from Brum, hope things are better for you

Bix, glad your here and settling

Polly, thanks for your support on the dark days x

Good to hear from some of the old guard, dont recognise many names on here any more, yet the posts dont change much,
Michaela