Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

12 month rule on owning goods before shipping?

12 month rule on owning goods before shipping?

Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default 12 month rule on owning goods before shipping?

I have a vague recollection (from way back when in 2007 when we were looking at coming over on a 457) that there are customs rules about ownership of goods for a certain period of time before shipping them into Australia in your container. Is this something that's true or something that I've made up in my head?

I'm thinking along the lines if I bought a new washing machine/tumble dryer just before we make them move, am I able to ship them with my belongings no problems or is there an import tax to pay? Ideally I'd want to keep them in the original, un-opened packaging.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:33 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 12 month rule on owning goods before shipping?

Hi

We brought a new tumble drier and a side by side fridge freezer before we left the UK but we did unpack them to make them look like they had been used. The house removing company packers wrapped them up well before they went on the container and they arrived perfect. We left some of the internal wrappings/ polystyrene on the inside of the fridge freezer from memory.

Debbie
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

We declares the goods we had owned for less than 12 months, I believe there's a space on the form for it. I believe customs can charge an import tax on these goods, check the customs site for exact details.
They didn't charge us for the goods we declared, I think there's a bit of lee way.
I would imagine if you bought 5 washing machines in then they would charge...
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

That's useful to know - thank you both.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Do you know if there is any customs/tax on used LCD tv?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

If it's less than 12 months old, there may be. See the customs site for details.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:08 pm
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

This seems to be a bit of a grey area the 12 month rule, I bought over a ipod touch, wii console, wii fit, games, cd's, dvd's, ipod speaker dock, new building tools worth well over £1000, all our boxes were opened and did not get charged for anything, I would of at least expected to be charged on the tools as the where as clean as a whistle, maybe it's just down to luck or they are looking for bigger fish to fry...
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:39 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
I have a vague recollection (from way back when in 2007 when we were looking at coming over on a 457) that there are customs rules about ownership of goods for a certain period of time before shipping them into Australia in your container. Is this something that's true or something that I've made up in my head?

I'm thinking along the lines if I bought a new washing machine/tumble dryer just before we make them move, am I able to ship them with my belongings no problems or is there an import tax to pay? Ideally I'd want to keep them in the original, un-opened packaging.
Here's a tip: My wife hid her newly purchased vibrator inside our sons teddy-bear.

What confuses me is that I'm sure that the teddy didn't have a smile when he set sail from the UK?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

We bought loads of new stuff before leaving, and the shipping company told us to unwrap it other wise would have to provide the reciepts as we would have to pay import tax .
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We brought a brand new Dyson and a Microwave over in our container and kept them in their original packaging and didn't mention it on the form. They took no notice of them. Providing you don't bring 20 microwaves for obvious reselling, they are not that fussed imo.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:05 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

They charged us a good couple of hundred dollars for a new coffee table and sideboard and stereo :curse:
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Also i must say, that all the boxes from the arrived but, upon opening them it it was very clear that stuff had been nicked out of them i was so pissed off, but as all the boxes arrived it was a case of prove it, prove that there had been stuff that went missing upon inspection and as we didnt take a picture of every single item that we own as a family we had no proof, thieving little bastards:curse::curse:
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to depend on pot luck.

We brought three complete new sets of Denby pottery plus numerous other new items (a few thousand pounds worth in total).

Our boxes were opened and we were not charged anything.

G
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:56 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, I lucked out there then but I don't feel too sour as I'm still euphoric about my share of the stimulus pot