110 volt tools

Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:23 am
Just Joined

robcarpenter25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 110 volt tools

Hi looking to take my chippie tools out to ozz
have mixture of 240 v and 110v tools can i bring my 110v and plug my transformer straight in to the mains to power the tools or is it more complicated than that.
Or more to the point are you even allowed to use transformers on site.
have browsed some previous threads not made up yet if any one can help would be extremely gratefull

thanks
Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:42 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 110 volt tools

Originally Posted by robcarpenter25
Hi looking to take my chippie tools out to ozz
have mixture of 240 v and 110v tools can i bring my 110v and plug my transformer straight in to the mains to power the tools or is it more complicated than that.
Or more to the point are you even allowed to use transformers on site.
have browsed some previous threads not made up yet if any one can help would be extremely gratefull

thanks
You'll find loads of posts about 110v tools from myself, I brought mine and couldn't get them tested and tagged therefore couldn't use them on site.
Recently a guy posted that he had managed to get his tested by a chap on the Gold Coast [QLD] He did give contact details though I haven't chased it up as I'd long since replaced mine with 240v. You need to have tools tested 3 monthly in QLD and monthly in NSW, no idea about other states sorry.
The official line from the govt. is that a centre tapped transformer wouldn't pass the test. All I can say is if you find someone who will test them for you the inspectors are only concerned with the actual tag's being current, they don't care what you have as long as it's tagged. Our Radio, kettle and sandwich toaster all have tags
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: 110 volt tools

thanks for the advice good to here off someone who has actually experienced this problem.

going to a town called hervey bay 3 1/2 hours from brissy and an hour from any other major town, chance of getting them tagged is prob slim.

shame you encountered this

thanks again for the advice, sorry in the delay in getting back to you
Old Sep 26th 2006, 9:49 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the advice good to here off someone who has actually experienced this problem.

going to a town called hervey bay 3 1/2 hours from brissy and an hour from any other major town, chance of getting them tagged is prob slim.

shame you encountered this

thanks again for the advice, sorry in the delay in getting back to you
The same guy who does mine will probably do yours then as we're just down the road
Hervey Bay is a city BTW hard to believe I know. There are plenty of places to get tools tagged there and the T.A.F.E campus there is the only local one that does the test and tag course. $200 bucks and you can tag your own stuff [110v included ]
I booked onto the course ages ago but there was insufficient interest so it didn't run. I pay the bloke that does mine a slab of Tooheys new stubbies.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

you can bring your 110V tools with you also if you are running through a 240V to 110V transformer all you need to do is replace the UK plug with a 10amp 3 pin Australian plug top.
then have your tools tested & tagged, its not an hard job the testing & tagging any electrician with the A class license can do it for you.

you will find that on site here all tools are 240V and they are protected via a RCD safety switch at the source of supply.

regards

Arthur

Melbourne
Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: 110 volt tools

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
you can bring your 110V tools with you also if you are running through a 240V to 110V transformer all you need to do is replace the UK plug with a 10amp 3 pin Australian plug top.
then have your tools tested & tagged, its not an hard job the testing & tagging any electrician with the A class license can do it for you.

you will find that on site here all tools are 240V and they are protected via a RCD safety switch at the source of supply.

regards

Arthur

Melbourne

SORRY BOUT LATE REPLY

Sounds like i could maybe take them after all, have you had any tool maintenance problems ie. parts you cant get as they are 110v not 240v
would be handy if i could take them no more costs e.t.c
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

if your tools need some repair you Will have to go to a place that do motor armature rewinds and have them rewind to 110V for the motors, i dont think its worth doing because you can buy new tools much cheaper than rewinding the original ones sorry to say mate.

regards
Arthur
Old Sep 30th 2006, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute

SORRY BOUT LATE REPLY

Sounds like i could maybe take them after all, have you had any tool maintenance problems ie. parts you cant get as they are 110v not 240v
would be handy if i could take them no more costs e.t.c

A friend of mine who migrated 6 years ago said that he arrived on site with his 110V tools to some amusment from his fellow workers.
I have been thinking about this myself and I have come to the conclusion that the 110V transformer could be pluged into a RCD unit.
The only problem I can think of is if my 110V transformer breaks (been through 2 ) I could be left with no meens of using my tools (unless it is possible to buy or fix a transformer).
To be safe I am now replacing tools as and when with 240V
Old Sep 30th 2006, 10:51 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by canifixit
A friend of mine who migrated 6 years ago said that he arrived on site with his 110V tools to some amusment from his fellow workers.
I have been thinking about this myself and I have come to the conclusion that the 110V transformer could be pluged into a RCD unit.
The only problem I can think of is if my 110V transformer breaks (been through 2 ) I could be left with no meens of using my tools (unless it is possible to buy or fix a transformer).
To be safe I am now replacing tools as and when with 240V
power toopls are much cheaper to buy here. personally i'd bring them and take it from there....