Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The 100 points thingy

The 100 points thingy

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default The 100 points thingy

I'm just in the process of setting up a bank account in Sydney before we arrive in Jan.

If we have one, odes that help us with the 100 points?

A and M
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100 points thingy

Do you mean 100 points for rentals?

It will help with point yes. But don't worry about it too much, all the estate agents we spoke to said that they understood new immigrants might not have all the things requested on the rental application forms. They are really not so strict on it.

But put a pack of relevant information together, one for each adult. I.D.s, bank statements, job contracts etc.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

For the first 6 weeks after arrival your passport will provide you with 100 points.

After this time there is a number of things you can use to make up the 100 points as well as the passport. The main ones are Medicare Card, Bank Card(s) & Drivers Licence
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys, but not my experience at all. Despite having bank statements showing enough on deposit to pay 10+ years rent and an employment contract for enough to pay 12 months rent in about 8-10 weeks of income the realtors I dealt with insited on every single point of proof, and also for this to be duplicated for my wife too "it doesn't matter if you're married, we need 100 points for every adult living in the house". Now we're renting a place they seem amazed that we're keeping the place spotless and paying the rent on time

Daft really, but rentals are in such demand here in Sydney the agents don't really seem to be interested or care at all Oh, and BTW we looked at about 50 rental houses $700-$1,000 pw, most where dumps - be prepared!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:33 am
cdb
Just Joined

cdb is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate sydney estate agents with a passion, I find it terrible the way you have to put in an application along with 20 other people and actually try to sell yourself to the agent.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cdb
I hate sydney estate agents with a passion, I find it terrible the way you have to put in an application along with 20 other people and actually try to sell yourself to the agent.
Is this what it will be like?

Jayzuz can't be bothered with that.

So will it be very hard getting somewhere quickly when arriving?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
Is this what it will be like?

Jayzuz can't be bothered with that.

So will it be very hard getting somewhere quickly when arriving?
I think most people manage to find something within a couple of weeks, but that couple of weeks can be a bit stressful.

Try and see a few places midweek if you can, not at the open days but privately.

You do need to be organised, put together a pack of information for each adult and photocopy it several times before you come over. If you are going to an open house and you are quite keen on the house, get an application form in advance and fill it in so that you can hand in a completed application whilst you are there.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think most people manage to find something within a couple of weeks, but that couple of weeks can be a bit stressful.

Try and see a few places midweek if you can, not at the open days but privately.

You do need to be organised, put together a pack of information for each adult and photocopy it several times before you come over. If you are going to an open house and you are quite keen on the house, get an application form in advance and fill it in so that you can hand in a completed application whilst you are there.
Thanks. Really not looking forward to this bit if we go.

My wife would have work and will be able to show evidence of this but it would be doubtful I would get anything before I got there so hopefully that won't present a problem. Going to be getting somewhere for $500pw so well affordable on one wage anyway.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
Thanks. Really not looking forward to this bit if we go.

My wife would have work and will be able to show evidence of this but it would be doubtful I would get anything before I got there so hopefully that won't present a problem. Going to be getting somewhere for $500pw so well affordable on one wage anyway.
Its a pain alright, but life as a Sunderland supporter has probably prepared you well.

Freebo (also very well prepared Newcastle supporter )
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
This is very good advice, or fill the application and try and beat the agent back to the office that way you get your application into the office clerk first.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by freebo
Its a pain alright, but life as a Sunderland supporter has probably prepared you well.

Freebo (also very well prepared Newcastle supporter )
Too bliddy right! This ought to be a doddle

Will you stay up for the game this weekend then? At least it's an early kick off but I forget what the time difference will be come this weekend? 11 or 12 hours?