Caravans

Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:26 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Caravans

Thinking of taking up caravanning to njoy our new lifestyle when we get down under!

1) Any one have experience of buying a caravan in Oz? Any good online sites to give idea of prices - the ones I've looked at seem phenomenally expensive compared to UK!

2) anyone exported a caravan to Oz ? Is it worht me buying one and shipping out? What would the costs be and would the UK model be any good over there?!

Thanks!

S.Dog.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Question Re: Caravans

Hi
we are just selling our 4 yr old uk caravan ( v nice) for 8.5k

having read your post we researched caravans on ebay.au and equivalent van is listed for $55k!!!!!

Apparently there is no tax just the cost of shipping... £3,500ish

we have a large loan on ours and i am arachnaphobic so am not convinced by caravanning in oz..

But now rethinking our plans we could just take it and sell it !!!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Default Re: Caravans

Ohhhhhh i forgot to say the caravans i refer to on ebay.au are British ones which were exported
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:23 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Ohhhhhh i forgot to say the caravans i refer to on ebay.au are British ones which were exported
Yes - just looked at a UK dealer today and decent vans seem to start at around 19k GBP - in Australia seems upwards of 70K !!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

just researched containers...our van would be just too tall to fit in.. so it could be more expensive to export...

you must have owned the van for 12 months for no tax if not 5% we think
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:33 pm
Top Dog

Originally Posted by heldownunder
just researched containers...our van would be just too tall to fit in.. so it could be more expensive to export...

you must have owned the van for 12 months for no tax if not 5% we think
Probably 10% GST?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Caravans are stupid price here, you regularly see very old caravans (20years old and older) for around $15-$20000
Caravans this age and state go for about 500-1000 pounds in the UK.

A decent new caravan and your looking at $50000+
Also a lot of the Aussie have rubbish layout with big double bed that takes up half the caravan. So not so good for families, although some Aus firms are starting to copy the better European layouts.
We saw a lovely 6birth Geist caravan on tv and it is around $50000 but the same caravan new is around half the price in Europe.

We didnt bring ours with us and now wish we did as you would get so much use out of a caravan here.

Gems
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Probably 10% GST?
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure it's not 10% of what you paid for it but 10% if its value in Australia.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by renth
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure it's not 10% of what you paid for it but 10% if its value in Australia.
Yep, that will be right

Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:36 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

TBF, vehicles and caravans will maintain their value longer and better here because of the market and also because (usually - not in Tassie probably!) less damp etc that take their toll in Northern Europe. But the initial expense and the long distances (= petrol) will make it less economic for a lot of people.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:30 pm
Angela and Renato

smurph22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I noticed when I look at caravans for sale in Australia they refer to them having 12 months rego...? is this some kind of MOT that you need to get for caravans over there and does anyone know if there are any special adaptations that you need to make to a UK caravan to get this. We are seriously thinking of taking ours with us. Also if anyone knows how hard or expensive it is to get airconditioning fitted to it once you get there, or do you just get a portable unit? Angx
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:38 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurph22
Hi I noticed when I look at caravans for sale in Australia they refer to them having 12 months rego...? is this some kind of MOT that you need to get for caravans over there and does anyone know if there are any special adaptations that you need to make to a UK caravan to get this. We are seriously thinking of taking ours with us. Also if anyone knows how hard or expensive it is to get airconditioning fitted to it once you get there, or do you just get a portable unit? Angx
Trailers and Caravans etc have to be registered separately and have a different registration number to your car. Very odd to someone who expects to see the same number on the towing and towed vehicle. So it's not like an MOT.

Portable a/c units seem to fit just fine. Small reverse cycle units similar to those used in homes here.

As an anti caravanist in the UK, I'm pleased to say that you can overtake them easily here owing to light traffic and good views for overtaking!