100+ applications,2 interviews

100+ applications,2 interviews

Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:33 am
HVU
Just Joined

HVU is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 100+ applications,2 interviews

Hi,
I recently moved to Melbourne with my husband on a 457 visa (he was sponsored). I work in HR, and have had a successful career in the UK, long employment in a number of jobs, different industries so I know lots of different approaches, worked my way up to HR Manager etc.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy to convince people to recruit the 'outsider' but wow I had no idea it would be like this!!!!

I get one of four responses to all my applications:
1 - not enough 'local experience'
2 - not enough XYZ industry experience
3 - too much experience (and you will get bored)
4 - silence...... no reponse despite chasing

I have never experienced anything like this, its been 4 months, I've applied for over 100 jobs, I work in HR and have networked like crazy, got loads of people to review my CV (everyone says its solid), I present myself well, I am very amiable, flexible and willing, but it just seems like madness. I'm willing to work very hard yet no one seems to get past the obvious 'UK mention' on the CV. I've downgraded the job title of my most recent job as I had feedback to say that this was 'scaring' employers off as it sounded 'too senior'.

The lack of 'local experience' is worrying for me, I'm an expert at UK employment law and have self taught Australian employment law (which isn't that different). I've been told by a recruiter just now that its simply because I'm an outsider. They have discrimination legislation, but clearly don't follow it.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same, or at least my post might help to comfort others in the same situation. I am considering a career change but have no idea what else to do (and I think then I'll be in a worse situation, I'll defiantely have no work experience!). At this rate, We'll be coming home again.

So, does anyone have any advice on how to break through?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:45 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100+ applications,2 interviews

Um, you probably don't want to hear this from me but I've had 6 interviews in just over one year of living in Wanganui (near Wellington, it's two and half hours' drive away) NZ. We moved here six months after arriving in NZ last February as my husband was offered a job here. (Gotta go where the work is and all that jazz) Just over a year later, I'm still looking. I've only had feedback from one job which I was turned down for as I did not have the seniority. I knew this but took a, 'punt' at it anyway. Promised feedback from other interviews failed to materialise - who knew ? It's just, 'to hard' to give me the turn down plus reasons why. I'm in into office admin. A reasonably run-of-the-mill job but on every occasion of application and/or interview, I'm being beaten by a (I assume) 'local' applicant. I accept that with competition being as fierce as it is here - 16% unemployment rate in Wanganui a prospective employer can afford to be picky and get the best possible fit. Which I can understand, as much as it galls me.

So, I've applied for dozens and dozens of vacancies here but even a turn down is a rarity i.e. I usually just get the long silence.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 6th 2012 at 8:48 am.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

TBH it's probably your visa status which is the biggest barrier. Unless you are going for very short term contracts, in which case the other reasons may well be the issue. As the dependent of a temporary resident you are always going to be behind the 8 ball unfortunately.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
TBH it's probably your visa status which is the biggest barrier. Unless you are going for very short term contracts, in which case the other reasons may well be the issue. As the dependent of a temporary resident you are always going to be behind the 8 ball unfortunately.
That's it exactly.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by HVU
Hi,
I recently moved to Melbourne with my husband on a 457 visa (he was sponsored). I work in HR, and have had a successful career in the UK, long employment in a number of jobs, different industries so I know lots of different approaches, worked my way up to HR Manager etc.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy to convince people to recruit the 'outsider' but wow I had no idea it would be like this!!!!

I get one of four responses to all my applications:
1 - not enough 'local experience'
2 - not enough XYZ industry experience
3 - too much experience (and you will get bored)
4 - silence...... no reponse despite chasing

I have never experienced anything like this, its been 4 months, I've applied for over 100 jobs, I work in HR and have networked like crazy, got loads of people to review my CV (everyone says its solid), I present myself well, I am very amiable, flexible and willing, but it just seems like madness. I'm willing to work very hard yet no one seems to get past the obvious 'UK mention' on the CV. I've downgraded the job title of my most recent job as I had feedback to say that this was 'scaring' employers off as it sounded 'too senior'.

The lack of 'local experience' is worrying for me, I'm an expert at UK employment law and have self taught Australian employment law (which isn't that different). I've been told by a recruiter just now that its simply because I'm an outsider. They have discrimination legislation, but clearly don't follow it.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same, or at least my post might help to comfort others in the same situation. I am considering a career change but have no idea what else to do (and I think then I'll be in a worse situation, I'll defiantely have no work experience!). At this rate, We'll be coming home again.

So, does anyone have any advice on how to break through?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I also work in HR but at an Advisor Level and was in Sydney on a Working Holiday last year but the response there was really good for HR roles both senior and lower level. I have been told Melbourne was pretty good for the HR market also.

I never personally had any issues with not being local and was actually commended on having had the CIPD but a couple of interviewers that I had met. I had also self taught myself with the Aussie employment laws and you learn on the job so it's all good anyway. I felt that when I looked for work most of it was dependant on the experience.

There are some really good HR specific recruitment agencies - the best one I used was Next Step Recruitment.

Seek.com was particularly helpful in my search and I was lucky enough to find my job in 2 weeks despite the restrictions and length on the WHV. I think there may have to be some flexibility in the length of contract you take on but in my opinion most tend to get extended other than if you are covering a mat leave.

If anything I am having a problem looking for work now that I am back in the UK (2 months looking and counting) and would rather be back in Sydney's job market where I had offers for work.

Hope that helped somewhere. Good luck with the search.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 11:49 am
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HVU
Hi,
I've been told by a recruiter just now that its simply because I'm an outsider. They have discrimination legislation, but clearly don't follow it.
My wife and I have seen blatant discrimination on many many occasion since arriving in OZ 22mths ago.
Unfortunately it seems to be quite normal. (don't be offended, its not just outsiders, I have seen managers and HR people be just the same with locals)

My wife and I both have had good jobs for a long time now. We are on the safe side of the fence and have won over the locals. (well those that matter, but not the bitter old ones - that don't even deserve their job - but you get them everywhere the world over!)

My only advise is keep chipping away and breaking down the barriers, you will get there. I've also applied for +80 jobs in the 1st 6mths of being here, it was soul destroying
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

It took Me 6 Months to find work in the electrical/Instrument Maintenance industry in 2009. And the Lack of response is no surprise. I would spend 1/2 the day applying on line and hearing back zilch. In April 2009,One job I was short listed for and shown around the place of work, All seemed well and I was experienced with all the equipment there. A month after, I emailed them asking if a descision had been made, they said no, And I have heard nothing since. I did get to the point of applying for just about any work and even looked at `Traffic control` and Security work. I have I feel landed on My feet now, But You`ve got to keep on keepin`on. Good Luck.