Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

10 year lows, why now and for how long?

10 year lows, why now and for how long?

Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 10 year lows, why now and for how long?

Wouldnt it be fantastic....... imagine the holidays we could have.......maybe become a reality soon, when the UK becomes a total basket case........

Be so cheap, I wonder what the streets would look like, maybe hire a local englishman to drive you around in a Limo and throw a few coins at him for privelidge...

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Awesome news for me too..

Perhaps theres a chance that when I holiday back with family I wont have to remortgage my house to pay off my credit card when I get home to Brisbane again!

I dream of a day when we hit AU$1 = 1GBP....
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome news for me too..

Perhaps theres a chance that when I holiday back with family I wont have to remortgage my house to pay off my credit card when I get home to Brisbane again!

Or when $1 = €1 if we're talking about the currency that'll be used in the UK in the near future.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:39 pm
ABCDiamond

It was about $3 to £1 in 2003, now in 2009 about $2, so maybe another 6 years and in 2015 it could be $1 = £1

Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
2.06730 The new 2.5? On 100k thats $45k down from the old trend, f00kin Gorgrom Mugobbly!
It's been lower than that. When I was here in 1995 we were getting less than AUD2/GBP.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:56 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking out for A$ weakness in the hope of the rate against GBP improving then you shouldn't be considering GBPAUD in isolation - you also need to look at what the AUD is doing against other currencies to get a picture of the AUD's realtive strength.

AUD has lost about 25% of it's value against the USD in the last year and also the EUR has made significant gains against AUD in the last few months i.e. the Aussie has already weakened substantially. Meanwhile the GBP continues to languish around 10 year lows.

So the story really is all about GBP weakness, and the best hope of the exchange rate improving for those selling pounds is some fundamental improvement in the state of the finance system in the UK, not further weakening in Australia.......that's my $0.02/£0.01 anyway.