a good read

Old Jun 25th 2003, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 10 pound POMS

Originally posted by badgersmount
www.journeytoaustralia.co.uk

a good read

Thanks Badgers. Had a quick scan and downloaded to read later. I love reading this kind of historical stuff - how life has changed in a relatively short time!

Cheers

Martin
Old Jun 25th 2003, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

annie b is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoyed reading this also, especially as my parents were also 10 pound poms who sailed out on HMS Oronsey (I think) in 1952.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

really interesting - where do you find all this stuff?
Old Jun 25th 2003, 9:43 pm
Badge

can't remember..

By the way I read it - and actually thought it was boring as hell...

I wonder how much 10 pounds was in them days....in terms of what it would buy you...

(a luxury cruise at least by the sounds of it)

badgers

Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

can't remember..

I wonder how much 10 pounds was in them days....in terms of what it would buy you...

badgers

Sounds like a good poll......What would 10 pounds buy you today. Answers on a postcard please!
Old Jun 26th 2003, 12:38 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

can't remember..

badgers

This was still going in the 1960s because the Aussies wanted Poms , now they just want your money.

Old Jun 27th 2003, 11:51 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

can't remember..

badgers
we came out in 63, on the fairsea, would have been a good trip apart from some bastard stealing ,my mothers purse,at the SOUTHAMPTON dock prior to us leaving ,she had all our spending money, 56pounds . in 63 that i suppose was alot of money, if it had,nt been for people having a whip round on the boat we would have been destitute, say s a lot for the old british spirit in those days , i guess in my own way this is why i find it ,enjoy able to try and help new people, who want to have a go at a new life............ MM
Old Jun 27th 2003, 3:17 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hey I was a child of 10 pound poms!! Born in Sydney when my parents emmigrated in 1965. They only lasted 2 years. My mum was very homesick when I was born so they had to save for two years to afford the 5 week boat trip back!! After a week of being back in the UK my mum wished she could go back to Sydney but they had had there 10 pound sponsorship and if they wanted to go back it would have had to have been out of their own pocket, which they couldn't afford.

They are glad they can have the change to come and visit now that I have moved to Perth though!!!
Old Jun 27th 2003, 3:20 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

can't remember..

badgers
I think £10 in 1953 is worth about £165 today
Old Jun 27th 2003, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

You can get a Music CD for £10 in Sainsburys and even get 1 Pence change.
Old Jun 28th 2003, 9:34 pm
Keelie

Thanks for this little slice of history Badgersmount, even 'though you found it 'boring'. The writer was not a 'professional' but an ordinary working class woman who had enough foresight to hope that her diary would be of interest to other's one day. True the writing is not 'smart' or glib or funny...just one woman's effort to record the biggest event in her life.
If you knew anything about wartime rationing you'd understand why this family, who were emigrating from post war Britain were so enthralled with the abundance of food on board.
The thing that struck me was that not once did any of them 'whinge' about anything..except the 'snobbish' attitude of some of the other passengers.

The kids made their own fun too...no T.V. Video games, telephones, or any of the things that pass for 'entertainment' today.
The boys were allowed to sleep up on deck..quite an adventure for them. Do you suppose many of todays parents would allow their kids such freedoms in this paranoid world ?
The fact that they stayed in Oz. and made a good life for themselves, with no support systems in place, says much about their courage and strength of family. Their story might be encouraging to to-day's emigrants who have so much more going for them.
In any case I have nothing but admiration for this family, and I was pleased to see that their story had a sucessful ending.

Old Jun 28th 2003, 10:14 pm
Badge

indeed!!!

i was impressed as well. (if not entertained!)

Old Jun 29th 2003, 6:26 pm
Senior Citizen

sean's dad is an unknown quantity at this point

depends on how you calculate the value ie prices or wages but 10 pounds would now be aprox 300- pounds @ todays value
Old Jun 29th 2003, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

brotherlarrikin is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me tell you something. A 10-pound Lithuanian girl is very good value. I am not in this busoiness myself.

Hello! Larry