Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

10$ per hour, Shattered dreams...

10$ per hour, Shattered dreams...

Old Jun 17th 2007, 1:44 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10$ per hour, Shattered dreams...

Originally Posted by Nimra
I need a piece of advice, I know my qualification and my 7 years work experience is not acceptable in this country, Is it worthwhile to get admission in uni according to “OZ” standers. Have left some money. IF I get credit of my previous studies I may need to study one year to get the Australian degree instead of three years.

Is it worthwhile to spend my all savings to get the degree from Monash? Will this give me a bright future? Or a TAFE college is as acceptable as a university degree for employer.

Broken, torn, upset
My concerns would be:
1. You may have to pay the 'international student' rate to study
2. Even once you got an OZ qualification yous till might not find work as my understanding is that the demand isn't as strong for GD's as it was a few years ago. My info might be outdated by now, so best to check it out:

http://jobsearch.gov.au Has heaps of info about many jobs and training etc

Maybe you should find out about getting your UK quals verified. There's some OZ qualification standards place that does this

Unless you are really determined to stay here, would if worse comes to worst, going back to UK be such a bad thing? Sounds like you had a life you enjoyed back there.

Best of luck
Old Jun 17th 2007, 1:53 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
My concerns would be:
2. Even once you got an OZ qualification yous till might not find work as my understanding is that the demand isn't as strong for GD's as it was a few years ago. My info might be outdated by now, so best to check it out:

http://jobsearch.gov.au Has heaps of info about many jobs and training etc

Maybe you should find out about getting your UK quals verified. There's some OZ qualification standards place that does this

Unless you are really determined to stay here, would if worse comes to worst, going back to UK be such a bad thing? Sounds like you had a life you enjoyed back there.

Best of luck
Hmmm just wondering if they do actually come from the UK?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:26 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Hmmm just wondering if they do actually come from the UK?
What makes you say that?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:44 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you say that?
Why not sign up with a couple of temping agencies, you would be on at least $16 per hour. YOu may not be doing exactly what you want to be doing, but at least you will better of then $10 per hour and in better working conditions...Waite Group and WellsGray are good agencies to work for in Melbourne.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you say that?
Style of writing, and mention of IELTS test in previous posts tend to indicate it. I think a lot of forget at times that their are many people from a non-UK and non-Aus background using the forum nowadays.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:38 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nimra
Hi to All
Its been 4 months in Australia, No job, No hopes, terrible days and frustrating nights with losing all confidence one I used to have. Employers turning down my application,Despite of having very nice qualification in Graphic design and experience.

Recently offered a job of console operator with an Indian owner with 10$ per hour 5 hours a day shift, hell… I couldn’t do that job only flashbacks of my previous job back to home haunted me, my computer, my chair, my artistic skills,wonderful pay and benefits. Emotionally got half dead while those 5 hours. I couldn’t continue that horrible job.

I need a piece of advice, I know my qualification and my 7 years work experience is not acceptable in this country, Is it worthwhile to get admission in uni according to “OZ” standers. Have left some money. IF I get credit of my previous studies I may need to study one year to get the Australian degree instead of three years.

Is it worthwhile to spend my all savings to get the degree from Monash? Will this give me a bright future? Or a TAFE college is as acceptable as a university degree for employer.

Broken, torn, upset
My brother is a graphic designer. He struggled for a year to get his business up and running in OZ. Eventually he worked for a college, must admit he got more than $10 an hour. Wages do suck over here, god knows why.
He works from home now, doing graphic design. Earns quite alot. So it has paid off, but 12 months of struggling though.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:17 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Wages do suck over here, god knows why.
The credit for that goes to Howard's Liberal govt over the past 11yrs.They're the experts at demonising unions and screwing workers.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

My concerns would be:
Not unless this person is here on a temp visa they won't, and from their post I would assume they are here as PR. If they were temp I think they would have to be sponsored by an employer.

Rudi
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:18 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Rudi
Not unless this person is here on a temp visa they won't, and from their post I would assume they are here as PR. If they were temp I think they would have to be sponsored by an employer.

Rudi
Don't migrants start out with temp visa and then later upgrade to PR? I'm not 100% on this as I didn't have to go through the migration process. The OP said they have only been here for 4 months (I assumed this would not be long enough to have gained PR).

I can't see any reason why someone on a temp visa could not undertake study if they were intending to take out permanent residency status later. But I think the international student rate would probably apply in such a case.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jun 17th 2007 at 5:21 am.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

The credit for that goes to Howard's Liberal govt over the past 11yrs.They're the experts at demonising unions and screwing workers.
Jesus Kiwi Child, change the record, it's starting to sound really broken. This person's problem appears to be a combination of working in an career where the job market may be marginal and having trouble getting their foot in the door. One employer is blatantly trying to hire them on illegal wages - how is that the fault of the current government since that would be illegal under a Labour government as well. Please tell me HOW a labour OR a liberal government would find this person a job paying a good wage, since it doesn't seem to exist at the moment for them.

Employers as a rule will pay the MINIMUM they need to in order to get staff. (and this includes the public sector also). If a particular skill is in demand, wages increase due the laws of supply and demand. If it's not, or there are plenty of people available wages increase and can go backwards.

As for unions being demonised, the unions themselves seem to be doing a good job of it. Responsible and democratic unions are an important part of any democracy but the antics of some unions bosses in Australia are laughable, at the moment they are Howard's best asset for the election !
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

There are 2 week PCA courses available around the tracks, if one does one of these and then applies to Swingshift nursing agency, you will be employed at the rate of 18 bucks per hour within 4 weeks.

Alternatively fill in the employment form on here, if your willing to work night shift 3am to 7 am you will be working within 6 weeks (subject to police check) at 22 dollars per hour http://www.auspost.com.au/

Coles, and Safeway Coburg have permanent vacancies, they cannot get staff for love or money, and thats at 17 bucks per hour.

10 dollars an hour is illegal and should be reported.

Plenty of security work out there as well, doing a security course will give you a job at circa 20 bucks per hour, they are desperate to employ female security staff.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:34 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Jesus Kiwi Child, change the record, it's starting to sound really broken. This person's problem appears to be a combination of working in an career where the job market may be marginal and having trouble getting their foot in the door. One employer is blatantly trying to hire them on illegal wages - how is that the fault of the current government since that would be illegal under a Labour government as well. Please tell me HOW a labour OR a liberal government would find this person a job paying a good wage, since it doesn't seem to exist at the moment for them.

Employers as a rule will pay the MINIMUM they need to in order to get staff. (and this includes the public sector also). If a particular skill is in demand, wages increase due the laws of supply and demand. If it's not, or there are plenty of people available wages increase and can go backwards.

As for unions being demonised, the unions themselves seem to be doing a good job of it. Responsible and democratic unions are an important part of any democracy but the antics of some unions bosses in Australia are laughable, at the moment they are Howard's best asset for the election !
If you bothered to read the post I replied to, you would see that the question was asked about why wages are so low for many in OZ. I simply told that poster why. John Farking Howard and his sidekicks (including previous Liberal state govts).
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:41 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
the antics of some unions bosses in Australia are laughable, at the moment they are Howard's best asset for the election !
Sadly, I have to agree. IMO they should be kicked out or at the very least severely reprimanded. But Howard has made a career out of demonising the unions. It's just a political game plan, one that far too many people have been sucked in to believing. And yes, idiot union leaders don't help balance the matter in the public eye.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't migrants start out with temp visa and then later upgrade to PR? I'm not 100% on this as I didn't have to go through the migration process. The OP said they have only been here for 4 months (I assumed this would not be long enough to have gained PR).

I can't see any reason why someone on a temp visa could not undertake study if they were intending to take out permanent residency status later. But I think the international student rate would probably apply in such a case.

I don't know this person's details, but no, you can come here either on a PR visa or on a temp visa. The temp visas are usually employer sponsored though, which is why I would assume this person was PR. PR visas rely on you having the correct number of points etc. You are granted the visa and do not have to have a job to come here.

On a temp visa a student would pay international rates. On a PR visa they would pay local rate, but they have to pay the fees upfront and do not get the discount that citizens get. The discount is not very big anyway though.

Rudi
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry for you, but its not just in your occupation, My hubby is gas/plumber, 4 years apprentiship with British gas, tradesman are treat just the same.
We started off on the very minumum wage, better now, but he is thinking of changing his career, and so am I.
My son is doing graphic design, in marketing and advertising in Perth, he did 3 year diploma in UK, so he got 120 points credited. He has to do 2 years at Uni in Perth. It will be worth while, but has cost 32,000 dollars.
If it will make a difference for you then go for it, if this is what you really want.
Good luck for the future.
Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.