Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

10$ per hour, Shattered dreams...

10$ per hour, Shattered dreams...

Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Nimra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 10$ per hour, Shattered dreams...

Hi to All
Its been 4 months in Australia, No job, No hopes, terrible days and frustrating nights with losing all confidence one I used to have. Employers turning down my application,Despite of having very nice qualification in Graphic design and experience.

Recently offered a job of console operator with an Indian owner with 10$ per hour 5 hours a day shift, hell… I couldn’t do that job only flashbacks of my previous job back to home haunted me, my computer, my chair, my artistic skills,wonderful pay and benefits. Emotionally got half dead while those 5 hours. I couldn’t continue that horrible job.

I need a piece of advice, I know my qualification and my 7 years work experience is not acceptable in this country, Is it worthwhile to get admission in uni according to “OZ” standers. Have left some money. IF I get credit of my previous studies I may need to study one year to get the Australian degree instead of three years.

Is it worthwhile to spend my all savings to get the degree from Monash? Will this give me a bright future? Or a TAFE college is as acceptable as a university degree for employer.

Broken, torn, upset
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 10$ per hour, Shattered dreams...

Not sure how old you are but isnt $10/hour below the minimum wage?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fenton
Not sure how old you are but isnt $10/hour below the minimum wage?

I am 28 years old female, yes I know its below the minimum wage, but hadn't any choice as seems no one is willing to give me a job, I have tried like hell to every where, Coles, Aldi, Safeway,7/11.

Beside this I have applied at almost 50 places for a job as a graphic designer from Junior to senior level.( I have 7 years of work exp and from past 4 years worked at senior level) I think I left all my luck in my homeland

Broken, torn and upset

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jun 16th 2007 at 11:36 am. Reason: potentially inflammatory comment removed
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

If it was me I'd report them (not sure who to) they are surely commiting an illegal act and should be dealt with under the law
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:58 am
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nimra
Hi to All
Its been 4 months in Australia, No job, No hopes, terrible days and frustrating nights with losing all confidence one I used to have. Employers turning down my application,Despite of having very nice qualification in Graphic design and experience.

Recently offered a job of console operator with an Indian owner with 10$ per hour 5 hours a day shift, hell… I couldn’t do that job only flashbacks of my previous job back to home haunted me, my computer, my chair, my artistic skills,wonderful pay and benefits. Emotionally got half dead while those 5 hours. I couldn’t continue that horrible job.

I need a piece of advice, I know my qualification and my 7 years work experience is not acceptable in this country, Is it worthwhile to get admission in uni according to “OZ” standers. Have left some money. IF I get credit of my previous studies I may need to study one year to get the Australian degree instead of three years.

Is it worthwhile to spend my all savings to get the degree from Monash? Will this give me a bright future? Or a TAFE college is as acceptable as a university degree for employer.

Broken, torn, upset
ahhhhh,

My wife was in the same boat, she left here graphic design career, as we couldnt afford for her to have too much time off looking for work.
In the end someone asked her to work for free for 6 months, to evaluate her and get her to Australian standard!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldnt get too dispondent though, remember the island maybe be big is very small too....

where are you based?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mancity
ahhhhh,

My wife was in the same boat, she left here graphic design career, as we couldnt afford for her to have too much time off looking for work.
In the end someone asked her to work for free for 6 months, to evaluate her and get her to Australian standard!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldnt get too dispondent though, remember the island maybe be big is very small too....

where are you based?
It means Iam not alone, Iam from melbourne.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:22 pm
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd really look at setting up on your own, make a good website and show you are capable....

get all your marketing stuff together, take the first job that comes and get your portfoilio up and running....

usual thing this, as you are new to country, employers make out you cant cut it or are not as good as the aussie standard.

It happens here in the UK too, seen it done to some polish works, funny thing is some of the guys telling them dont have a clue..
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

What is the minimum wage in OZ?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen
Lucrative rates of 30+ $ in Melbourne for senior Graphic designer and for retail jobs around 20 to 22$ but damn hard to secure a job in retail too.
No jobs in Mebourne!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't read the whole site but you should be able to find out from here: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...Commission.htm

or here: https://www.workchoices.gov.au/ourpl...nworkplace.htm
Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

$503.80 for QLD

about $12.60 ph for 40 hr week

Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

mervbeng is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you any web experience?

Try this company -http://www.hyro.com.au/Information/PressReleases/Hyro%20is%20Hiring!.aspx.

They were one of my vendors for my first job here in Melbourne. They are doing so really cool things with multimedia and are a decent bunch- they pay very well too!

To quote their site - " Got creative skills you want to apply and a chance to learn even more? Our creative team seeks mid-level and junior creatives to add their sparkle to our solutions." It could be the start you need

If you want pass me your latest resume I could pass it on to people I still keep in contact with who work there and you never know. They will look beyond Aussie qualification if you have the skill and enthusiam
Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

$503.80 for QLD

about $12.60 ph for 40 hr week

Aye, crap isn't it. Luckily most jobs pay more than the award rate.

I looked a few weeks ago for my OH who's a sparkie, and their minimum wage is $510 per week My OH get double that thank god!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

russell is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: 10$ per hour, Shattered dreams...

Originally Posted by Nimra
Hi to All

Broken, torn, upset
as man city said would you not be better setting up in business for yourself if you are good at your job why put the hard work in for an employer when you can do it for yourself it may be hard at first but you will get there in the end if you are good all you need is a couple of jobs to do then you will get recommendations just as any future employers would get, thats how they probalby started in business.
most people are scared to start their own business but honestly if you are good at what you do go for it you wont regret it some people need a kick up the ass.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:33 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Good luck mate, something good could be around the corner.

Keep at it!!!

XXX

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.