Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The £ is having a good day

The £ is having a good day

Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:32 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default The £ is having a good day

Blimey! I can't believe this. The £ has just jumped 1.5% against the AUD. It may not sound like much, but its the biggest single gain I've seen it make since I don't remember when. Yippeeee!
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:47 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The £ is having a good day

Originally posted by chippy
Blimey! I can't believe this. The £ has just jumped 1.5% against the AUD. It may not sound like much, but its the biggest single gain I've seen it make since I don't remember when. Yippeeee!
Where are ya watchin it, interested.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:52 am
plumber39

Come on baby start sliding and don't stop till i get my visa!

The praying plumber.

Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:58 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: The £ is having a good day

Originally posted by DavidT
Where are ya watchin it, interested.

www.x-rates.com

If you want to know the rate at the close of business, check it at 4pm New York time. (I think)
Old Jul 31st 2003, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It is still only 2.47 though - how sad is that. I looked up a few graphs and even in March it was 2.78. Oh well better than 2 to the pound! Lets hope it doesn't drop any further!
Old Jul 31st 2003, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Is anyone else thinking of only transferring minimal funds and then waiting to see if the rates go up at all?

I am still not sure how long you can wait. I have been told 6 months by one person and 1 year by another - any idea?
Old Jul 31st 2003, 11:33 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I'll be happy with 2.5, any less than that and i might throw some stuff out of me pram.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 11:35 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by tinaj
Is anyone else thinking of only transferring minimal funds and then waiting to see if the rates go up at all?

I am still not sure how long you can wait. I have been told 6 months by one person and 1 year by another - any idea?
Tina....there really is no real way of predicting it....just look at a graph over the past 3 years, it ping pongs around all over the place.

2 is the historic rate......so do bear in mind there is a possibility of it going down that low again.....
Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:16 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by tinaj
It is still only 2.47 though - how sad is that. I looked up a few graphs and even in March it was 2.78. Oh well better than 2 to the pound! Lets hope it doesn't drop any further!
The pound has not maintained that kind of strength (2.78) over a long period. I take this more as a blip rather than 'normal'.

If you can get 2.5 be happy with that. It would be entirely reasonable to expect the rate to drop to 2.2 ish this year, although nobody knows of course.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 5:55 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Rest easy, we've got this right now:

Live mid-market rates as of 2003.07.31 17:58:35 GMT.
1.00 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds = 2.48694 AUD
Australia Dollars
1 GBP = 2.48694 AUD 1 AUD = 0.402100 GBP
Old Jul 31st 2003, 6:03 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Rest easy, we've got this right now:

Live mid-market rates as of 2003.07.31 17:58:35 GMT.
1.00 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds = 2.48694 AUD
Australia Dollars
1 GBP = 2.48694 AUD 1 AUD = 0.402100 GBP
I don't bloody believe this. Its lost ground. Now only a 0.3% gain.
Better than a kick in the b**llocks I suppose, but still a down on what we had earlier.

Its like watching your horse out in front all the way, then it falls over in front of the finish line. I'm going to drink beer.