Retire to Oz?

Old Jul 27th 2003, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Martin Hales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retire to Oz?

Hi

We are thinking of taking early retirement and migrating to Oz, probably Brisbane/Sunshine Coast. Would like to hear from anyone who has already taken the plunge and how they are enjoying their new life and what they miss in the UK but more importantly the pluses for living in Oz?
Old Jul 27th 2003, 9:19 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retire to Oz?

Originally posted by Martin Hales
Hi

We are thinking of taking early retirement and migrating to Oz, probably Brisbane/Sunshine Coast. Would like to hear from anyone who has already taken the plunge and how they are enjoying their new life and what they miss in the UK but more importantly the pluses for living in Oz?

I think the UK pension is not indexed over there. If so, that is something to consider, your pension will be going down every year.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Have you visited the area? If so you will know what a fantastic lifestyle it can offer you, especially if you are retiring.

We chatted to a few retirees out there and they all looked so happy and fit compared to people of the same age over here. There are so many sports that you can enjoy. Lots of water sports like canoeing, kayaking , sailing etc. Just the thing to meet new people as well. Most people seem to join one of the many local clubs that they have. There are loads of inlets and rivers that people use for water sports along the Sunshine Coast.

We are in our 30's and are planning to emigrate to this area, with our 3 children as it seemed so perfect for us. The climate is superb as well. I am hoping that my Mum will love it out there whenshe comes to visit us, then we could apply for her to join us.

Good luck.

Tina
Old Jul 27th 2003, 7:52 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tinaj
Have you visited the area? If so you will know what a fantastic lifestyle it can offer you, especially if you are retiring.

We chatted to a few retirees out there and they all looked so happy and fit compared to people of the same age over here. There are so many sports that you can enjoy. Lots of water sports like canoeing, kayaking , sailing etc. Just the thing to meet new people as well. Most people seem to join one of the many local clubs that they have. There are loads of inlets and rivers that people use for water sports along the Sunshine Coast.

We are in our 30's and are planning to emigrate to this area, with our 3 children as it seemed so perfect for us. The climate is superb as well. I am hoping that my Mum will love it out there whenshe comes to visit us, then we could apply for her to join us.

Good luck.

This is all very well tinaj, but most crinklies are not up for this kind of strenous activity.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Speak for yourself!!

I don't mean white water rafting I mean a gentle paddle along an inlet!

Even if you are not into sports I think the area still has a lot to offer. You could take up bowles instead, they are really into that over there.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Martin Hales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retire to Oz?

Hi Tina

Thanks for your thoughts on Brisbane. Jackie and I spent three months touring Melbourne, Adelaide, Cairns and Brisbane over the Christmas & New Year period. Our only child has lived in Sydney (Five Dock at present but previously Pitt Street in the CBD) but although we love visiting Sydney feel this is not the place for us as we would like a more stress free life (that is one of the reasons we moved out of London and now live in Southampton but that is rapidly becoming as busy).

We both felt that Brisbane/Bayside would be the place for us - not too far from the CBD, public transport close by and all the everyday needs in the nearby centre. We found the people extremely friendly - got quite embarrassed when the lady in the post office spent such a long time chatting to us that a queue was forming out the door.

We are in our late 50's and luckily are still fit, in fact our sport is sailing and only last month we sold our boat in readiness for our move to Oz. Whilst in Manly we went along to the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron Clubhouse - when we got to the main gate wondered if they would welcome us in (the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes certainly wouldn't) anyway took the chance and what a refreshing change, they made us feel at home straight away and the beer, food and hospitality was great.

We have also visited the RSLs, Leagues Clubs and Sporting Clubs and felt very much at home.

I'm sure we will love the outdoor life and hopefully it will help to keep us young and fit - not ready to sit in front of the tv wondering "what if we had gone to Oz" for the rest of our lives.

When do you hope to be in the Sunshine Coast? Keep us posted
on your progress.

All the best
Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

[

We are in our late 50's and luckily are still fit, in fact our sport is sailing and only last month we sold our boat in readiness for our move to Oz. Whilst in Manly we went along to the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron Clubhouse - when we got to the main gate wondered if they would welcome us in (the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes certainly wouldn't) anyway took the chance and what a refreshing change, they made us feel at home straight away and the beer, food and hospitality was great.

We have also visited the RSLs, Leagues Clubs and Sporting Clubs and felt very much at home.

I'm sure we will love the outdoor life and hopefully it will help to keep us young and fit - not ready to sit in front of the tv wondering "what if we had gone to Oz" for the rest of our lives.

on your progress.

All the best [/QUOTE]

Martin,

I am glad to hear that they were welcoming, exactly what we found. We got chatting to a couple in their 50's, they were so friendly and positive about the area and activally encouraged us to move there. They had moved up from Melbourne to retire on the Sunshine Coast and they were raving on about how great the lifestyle was. They invited us to go to their Yacht club and go sailing with them for the day. We had only been chatting with them for about half an hour!! Unfortunately we were heading further North later that day so we had to turn the offer down.

I think you are making a great decision to move to this area. The water sport facilities are excellent and there seems to be little stuffiness associated with sailing that you get in England.

I wish you both an active retirement. With all the sports available, you will probably be busier than when you worked!

We are hoping to leave at the end of December. We have the visas, but are going through the awful process of trying to sell our house. There doesn't seem to be a lot of buyers around at the moment so it could be a slow process.

Best of luck

Tina
Old Jul 31st 2003, 3:35 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Martin Hales
Hi Tina

Thanks for your thoughts on Brisbane. Jackie and I spent three months touring Melbourne, Adelaide, Cairns and Brisbane over the Christmas & New Year period. Our only child has lived in Sydney (Five Dock at present but previously Pitt Street in the CBD) but although we love visiting Sydney feel this is not the place for us as we would like a more stress free life (that is one of the reasons we moved out of London and now live in Southampton but that is rapidly becoming as busy).

We both felt that Brisbane/Bayside would be the place for us - not too far from the CBD, public transport close by and all the everyday needs in the nearby centre. We found the people extremely friendly - got quite embarrassed when the lady in the post office spent such a long time chatting to us that a queue was forming out the door.

on your progress.

All the best
Go for it Martin, my folks are sailors they set off 8 yrs ago to do a circum-navigation and arrived in Australia last year. Cut a long story short they have fallen in love with the place and at the moment they're having a house built. They plan to stay for a couple of years before completing their trip, then sell their boat and return
Sean
Old Jul 31st 2003, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by cresta57
Go for it Martin, my folks are sailors they set off 8 yrs ago to do a circum-navigation and arrived in Australia last year. Cut a long story short they have fallen in love with the place and at the moment they're having a house built. They plan to stay for a couple of years before completing their trip, then sell their boat and return
Sean

Hi ya,

I didn't realise that your parents were out there too. You lucky thing, I am hoping that my Mum will fall in love with the place and want to join us. That is if I can persuade her to visit first!
Old Jul 31st 2003, 5:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Still begs the question Tina - where did you get the handbag dancer?
Old Jul 31st 2003, 6:27 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Hi ya,

I didn't realise that your parents were out there too. You lucky thing, I am hoping that my Mum will fall in love with the place and want to join us. That is if I can persuade her to visit first!
That's our main reason for going Tina I've not seen much of my folks for the last 8 yrs. I don't expect to stay forever just spend some quality time out there sailing and diving with my Dad, he's an advanced diver as well and we buddied up a few times whilst I was there last year. We've planned to stay for 5 yrs but if we like it we'll stay put I guess.