Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$90 for a school top!!! Pushing it too far!

$90 for a school top!!! Pushing it too far!

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $90 for a school top!!! Pushing it too far!

After reading this thread, I checked out the 'required' uniform for DS for his new school.

$872 per year!

M :-(
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
After reading this thread, I checked out the 'required' uniform for DS for his new school.

$872 per year!

Oh dear Not fair hey? I checked with my friend, from what she can see in the remains of lukes uniforms - the manufacturing lable is 'Vocal'??? Does that sound familiar Pen?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by debsy
I think that is about the going rate for a dress.
I have two lots of new uniforms to buy soon - going to cost me a packet
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by glittababe
Oh dear Not fair hey? I checked with my friend, from what she can see in the remains of lukes uniforms - the manufacturing lable is 'Vocal'??? Does that sound familiar Pen?
Hi Glittababe,

I work in our school uniform shop and Vocal are an Australian manufacturer on the sunshine coast, we purchase their shorts and sell them at our school for $28.50 for the primary sizes and $38.00 for middle and senior school.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:01 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
Has no one thought of going to an embroidery shop and having the logo copied onto cheap shirts etc?
not as easy as that - to get a logo embrioderied it willl need to be digitized (into a format for the embroidery machine to read how to stitch it out) for which there would be a charge for, which would not be cost effective for a couple of items
Even if you could do that, they are unlikely to do that for copyright reasons
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
We've never used them but....
Originally Posted by Jarvl
Hi Glittababe,

I work in our school uniform shop and Vocal are an Australian manufacturer on the sunshine coast, we purchase their shorts and sell them at our school for $28.50 for the primary sizes and $38.00 for middle and senior school.
That means that the school is buying them for approximately $20 each depending on the profit mark up. Although they label themselves an Australian manufacturer, they could be making the shirts in their own factories in Asia - still able to market them as Australia made although they tend to admit if it's an overseas factory.

There are several different qualities of polo shirt fabrics. However Annie, it means that your school is fleecing you guys by several hundred percent. Don't care if it's a private, church, state or any other type of school. That is more than outrageous and there is no justification for it. Not when they're charging for everything else and making everything compulsory to purchase. Our mark up is never more than 50%.

Good old catholic church - possibly the wealthiest 'company' in the world.

Personally I'd have to rethink sending my kids there. Catholic priests may not be allowed to screw little boys anymore but that school is definitely screwing you.:curse:
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

amazed is an unknown quantity at this point

$872 per year!

our high school ( also catholic) has a second hand uniform section on its website. parents can list the items they have to sell plus their contact details,so anyone can contact for details.perhaps you could suggest setting this up for your school at the next p & c meeting. pm me if you want details.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

My Daughter is in State School

Book rental $100 a year which can be paid fortnightly
School Polo $35
Black shorts $20, School Back Pack $28, Stationary $40 all from Big W
School camp $50
Home Economics $30
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amazed
our high school ( also catholic) has a second hand uniform section on its website. parents can list the items they have to sell plus their contact details,so anyone can contact for details.perhaps you could suggest setting this up for your school at the next p & c meeting. pm me if you want details.

New school does have second hand uniform section in the uniform shop, and I'll be watching out for anything I can pick up. I was just amazed at how much the initial outlay was. I'll just have to get saving!

M
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:10 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

New school does have second hand uniform section in the uniform shop, and I'll be watching out for anything I can pick up. I was just amazed at how much the initial outlay was. I'll just have to get saving!

M
I save $200 a fortnight to send my 2 to STATE secondary school, the fees alone are $500+ each (depending on which subjects they choose The uniforms and shoes, sports kits and trainers cost me about $1200 and I didn't pay the extra for "proudly australian made". I paid $800 for books and $250 for stationary etc then there are all the little bits and bobs printer cards etc and school trips which aren't cheap and then last term they had the cheek to ask for more money $150 for my eldest, a compulsory "community awareness" subject which amounted to the year 9's hanging around the city for 6 weeks and having lectures about drugs. Then there is the weekly gym fee of $10 or swim class fee it's never ending.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
How on earth low income earners manage i will never know.
They tend to use State schools. Our local State schools let you buy a near enough colour from Best 'n Less.

Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meljor
I save $200 a fortnight to send my 2 to STATE secondary school, the fees alone are $500+ each (depending on which subjects they choose The uniforms and shoes, sports kits and trainers cost me about $1200 and I didn't pay the extra for "proudly australian made". I paid $800 for books and $250 for stationary etc then there are all the little bits and bobs printer cards etc and school trips which aren't cheap and then last term they had the cheek to ask for more money $150 for my eldest, a compulsory "community awareness" subject which amounted to the year 9's hanging around the city for 6 weeks and having lectures about drugs. Then there is the weekly gym fee of $10 or swim class fee it's never ending.
It's constant requests for bits and pieces that would annoy me. Ours go private (though to put it in perspective we pay pretty much the same for our three as if we were on a 457 and had to pay for schooling as they offer such hefty sibling discounts) but one of the things I really like is that there are very few extras. Primary overnight "outdoor bound" camp - included, Y9 4 day trip - included, swimming lessons for primary kids in term 4 each year - included as they feel being able to swim isn't an optional extra, etc. I'm sure (expensive school dress excluded ) it costs me less to send them private than some public schools.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:11 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
It's constant requests for bits and pieces that would annoy me. Ours go private (though to put it in perspective we pay pretty much the same for our three as if we were on a 457 and had to pay for schooling as they offer such hefty sibling discounts) but one of the things I really like is that there are very few extras. Primary overnight "outdoor bound" camp - included, Y9 4 day trip - included, swimming lessons for primary kids in term 4 each year - included as they feel being able to swim isn't an optional extra, etc. I'm sure (expensive school dress excluded ) it costs me less to send them private than some public schools.
Probably so but my eldest starts year 10 next year and wants to join the British army after that and I will be returning to England with him and my youngest so this is the last year I will have to pay this ridiculous amount. Next year the money will be saved for single flights to England.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They tend to use State schools. Our local State schools let you buy a near enough colour from Best 'n Less.
But not all state schools are like that. DD is going to the local state school and they have a uniform list and you have to get the stuff from the school shop. Have to have the "school" back pack. I don't know whether the school plays on the fact that it's a fairly wealthy area of the city though (Sydney's Lower North Shore) ... maybe in other areas the state schools aren't quite so strict re the uniform and stuff? I guess they just have to pitch it at a level appropriate to the general demographic in that area
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Well a lot of them don't ... in primary maybe, but not in high school. The state school my daughter will be going to have a strict uniform policy, it has to be their branded stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.