Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$90 for a school top!!! Pushing it too far!

$90 for a school top!!! Pushing it too far!

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default $90 for a school top!!! Pushing it too far!

Still in shock following our eldests intro into his new high school! Following a very lovely talk by the principle and students from the school we were handed out our 'intro packs' - usual rules, regs and fees - the book pack $120 (fair enough), then the school uniform list!!! I think every parent in the assembly hall suddenly gulped!!! Whats more all parts of the uniform are compulsary - its not like we can pop to BigW and grab a couple of spare shirts or shorts. It was a very hot topic last night - I overheard several parents questioning how on earth they can charge $90 for a top and $58 for a pair of shorts, in fact I'm wondering how we can afford it!!

At Eumundi we have a seconds shop and also an exchange programme - I did ask but theres nothing like this at the high school! Oh dear.........
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: $90 for a school top!!! Pushing it too far!

Originally Posted by glittababe
Still in shock following our eldests intro into his new high school! Following a very lovely talk by the principle and students from the school we were handed out our 'intro packs' - usual rules, regs and fees - the book pack $120 (fair enough), then the school uniform list!!! I think every parent in the assembly hall suddenly gulped!!! Whats more all parts of the uniform are compulsary - its not like we can pop to BigW and grab a couple of spare shirts or shorts. It was a very hot topic last night - I overheard several parents questioning how on earth they can charge $90 for a top and $58 for a pair of shorts, in fact I'm wondering how we can afford it!!

At Eumundi we have a seconds shop and also an exchange programme - I did ask but theres nothing like this at the high school! Oh dear.........
It's not fair is it. I never realised just how much it costs over here to send your kids to school. Uniforms, stationary, school fees.
How on earth low income earners manage i will never know.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

It is rather expensive.

But...

The other option (no school uniforms) ends up costing a fair bit more.
Fashion changes and looking better than a next one.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
It is rather expensive.

But...

The other option (no school uniforms) ends up costing a fair bit more.
Fashion changes and looking better than a next one.
thats what the school said too (as obviously we all approached the principle last night)!! But...... a school shirt doesn't cost $90 to produce. The shirts are very similar to my boys primary school ones and they cost me $28 each (basic polo shirts with an embroidered emblem on)! On top of that its compulsary to purchase the school bag, the sports holdall,belt,wallet (which will of course be empty) pencil case,socks etc The other option available to us was Noosa district high school - comparing notes with my friends kids that are going to be going there - its a similar thing price wise (58 a shirt) but other items aren't compulsary. Our dilemma is we're really happy with St Theresa's, its got a great reputation, so I guess we'll just have to pay up and be broke for xmas
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

thats what the school said too (as obviously we all approached the principle last night)!! But...... a school shirt doesn't cost $90 to produce. The shirts are very similar to my boys primary school ones and they cost me $28 each (basic polo shirts with an embroidered emblem on)! On top of that its compulsary to purchase the school bag, the sports holdall,belt,wallet (which will of course be empty) pencil case,socks etc The other option available to us was Noosa district high school - comparing notes with my friends kids that are going to be going there - its a similar thing price wise (58 a shirt) but other items aren't compulsary. Our dilemma is we're really happy with St Theresa's, its got a great reputation, so I guess we'll just have to pay up and be broke for xmas
That's outrageous. I sell our High School Middle School polo's for $30. Unfortunately have now been told by my supplier that they will go up because fabric costs have gone up. The new stock won't be more than $35 though. My most expensive item of clothing is either the cotton knitted jumper with embroidered logo is $70 or the Tracksuit jacket - detailed and with the stitched logo is also $70.

I'm in contact with the majority of school clothing suppliers in QLD, as well as some in NSW and Vic and none of them even come close to that price. You're being ripped off big time.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's blazer cost over $200!!I have just bought her a school swimming costume for $90.50, but that is less than the aquablades cost in the shops apparently....Spent over $600 kitting her out for the summer.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
My daughter's blazer cost over $200!!I have just bought her a school swimming costume for $90.50, but that is less than the aquablades cost in the shops apparently....Spent over $600 kitting her out for the summer.
OMG!!!! I thought mine were outrageous prices!!! Ahhhh Penny, whats worst is I have 2 more kids to go up to the high school - we're estimating its going to cost around $600 to kit him out. I know one mum whose son is leaving year 12, I asked her if I could buy Lukes school uniform and she said they're in appalling condition as they kitted him out in year 8 and couldn't afford to buy him anymore stuff so he has to make do for 5 yrs!!!! She advised me to buy the uniforms in larger sizes and get a sewing machine!!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG!!!! I thought mine were outrageous prices!!! Ahhhh Penny, whats worst is I have 2 more kids to go up to the high school - we're estimating its going to cost around $600 to kit him out. I know one mum whose son is leaving year 12, I asked her if I could buy Lukes school uniform and she said they're in appalling condition as they kitted him out in year 8 and couldn't afford to buy him anymore stuff so he has to make do for 5 yrs!!!! She advised me to buy the uniforms in larger sizes and get a sewing machine!!!!
That's ridiculous. I have parents struggle to buy new at my prices let alone what you're paying. I have a big second hand section. Does your school not even do that? Mind you, as you say, at those prices, the clothes would be worn to death to get monies worth. Clothing three 'rough & tumble' boys sounds expensive at the best of times. Boys aren't known for their care of clothing

I think the first thing you do is get on the school's P&C Committee and find out exactly how they can justify the costs. Even the private schools down here don't charge that amount (I don't think.) Just out of interest, what company name is in the label?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is timely. My daughters' are having school photos today and I couldn't believe the price. The basic pack starts at $20. For a class photo (you can't just buy it as a single print) you pay $30 - so that's a total of $60 for both kids!

What a complete rip-off. For the first time I actually said no. I can print one myself for about 50c.

I wonder if the school gets a cut of the profits?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:31 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's outrageous. I sell our High School Middle School polo's for $30. Unfortunately have now been told by my supplier that they will go up because fabric costs have gone up. The new stock won't be more than $35 though. My most expensive item of clothing is either the cotton knitted jumper with embroidered logo is $70 or the Tracksuit jacket - detailed and with the stitched logo is also $70.

I'm in contact with the majority of school clothing suppliers in QLD, as well as some in NSW and Vic and none of them even come close to that price. You're being ripped off big time.
That's good to know that not all uniforms are that expensive!!!

Do you think it is the supplier ripping glittababe's school off?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

I wonder if the school gets a cut of the profits?
We used to in the UK. Until one year when the photographer did such a crap job, no one bought them. The next year the price had dropped and even though the standard was still not the best, more people bought.

I think I bought the pics the first time they were done here. Now I just wait for the year book and make do with that pic. It's not like I don't know what my girls look like
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We used to in the UK. Until one year when the photographer did such a crap job, no one bought them. The next year the price had dropped and even though the standard was still not the best, more people bought.

I think I bought the pics the first time they were done here. Now I just wait for the year book and make do with that pic. It's not like I don't know what my girls look like
There's a certain emotional blackmail that goes on with school photos - and I think we're all trapped by it to a certain extent.

This year I've broken the mould - I felt guilty for about 2 minutes but then felt great that I'd basically told the photograph where to shove it.

$30 - Jesus!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:49 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I need to get my head around all these school costs....fees, uniforms, etc.

We've got a 7month old baby boy and school is just around the corner for him

(ok, maybe not just around the corner. but I like to be prepared)

More importantly I really need to figure out how we should choose a "good" school for him. Every now and then, a friend/relative/colleague will say something like "have you started looking at schools for him yet?" Give me a break, he's only 2feet tall.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:52 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

You could always sell hubby's car.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:58 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Blazer $195
Raincoat $25
Art Smocks $30
Dresses $66
Skivvies $15
Pullover $52
Bathers $60
Sport Hat $25
Summer Boater $60
Librar bag $15
Music bag $18
School bag $72

glad the wife is going to the second hand shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.