Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$80000 a year needed

$80000 a year needed

Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:25 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: $80000 a year needed

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Blue-ish skies in the city - first time I've seen that in about 48 hours!!
I noticed the sun just broke through again .

But for those that aren't here, even though its been "raining" the temperatures have been between 21.7 & 31.3 C for the last 7 days, day and night, so it hasn't been cold

Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Grayling
Hi All
A while ago, on this forum, Among all the various debates there used to also be some very useful pieces of information helpful to would-be migrants.

If these were 'positive' they would recieve a lot of attention.
If they were seen as 'negative' they would be rubbished or attacked.

Lately posts seem to be mainly about visas and how to get them or about the process. There have also been a lot of amusing, silly,sad, nasty and frivolous threads.

There is an important ongoing thread by HEVS and HUP which deserves attention.
They are describing a difficult time in their new life.Not negatively but very honestly.
One phrase of HUP's has struck me.

Apologies to HUP for using a quote from that thread:

"I would suggest that for a family of four you will need an income of around $80000".

Think about it.
How many people will have that income without both partners working?
What will that do to dreams of :' more time with family','escape from the Rat Race', 'Quality of life' etc. etc?

This is the kind of issue we should be discussing.

I am starting this thread so this simple statement does not get lost.

Thanks HUP

Best wishes

G
For what it is worth, I earn $71,000 and you can’t live on that here in sunny Oz. Remember, 71K only equates after tax to $3352.66. To buy a modest home in the 300K margin (you only will get a hell hole for less than that) the mortgage repayments come to $1900 a month. This does not leave you with very much to live on for the rest of the month. Where as in the UK earning 30K I had a good lifestyle with plenty of disposable income.

Unless you come with enough money to buy a home outright then you will need significantly more than 70K to live here. Still at least the weather is warmer.
optus (aways on the phone)
Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:40 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Nice weather for the time of year though (that a safe enough subject?)
Oer.....good point. Maybe another topic to stay clear of eh

Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by optus
To buy a modest home in the 300K margin (you only will get a hell hole for less than that)
What part of Australia do you live in ? $300k can get some good homes in QLD.

Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:58 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

For what it is worth, I earn $71,000 and you can’t live on that here in sunny Oz. Remember, 71K only equates after tax to $3352.66. To buy a modest home in the 300K margin (you only will get a hell hole for less than that) the mortgage repayments come to $1900 a month. This does not leave you with very much to live on for the rest of the month. Where as in the UK earning 30K I had a good lifestyle with plenty of disposable income.

Unless you come with enough money to buy a home outright then you will need significantly more than 70K to live here. Still at least the weather is warmer.
$71,000 should give you $51,918 per year ($4,326.50 per calendar month) after income tax, less $1,900.00 leaves $2,426.50 per calendar month.

Should be aiming to have bought back the house from the bank by age 30 to 45, allowing savings to be acculmulated. Better, save up and buy with cash.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Our combined incomes are less than that, and we are surviving....
A lot of it depends where in Aus you are - which you don't say? And there are numerous decent places here for less than $300 (Qld). In fact I bet a few people on here would object to having their homes called 'Hell holes' !
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:46 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Oer.....good point. Maybe another topic to stay clear of eh
Kinda limiting the subjects you can post on then aren't we? Coffee and cheesecake?

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 27th 2005 at 6:56 am.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:53 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Me thinks you need an accountant or tax agent then. I think you're being ripped off. If you find it difficult to live on $71K less tax pa, try living on $31K pa less tax and see how it feels. At nearly $500 repayments per week that is more I earn after tax so a hell-hole would feel like a palace.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 27th 2005 at 6:59 am.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:41 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Nice weather for the time of year though (that a safe enough subject?)
Now don't get me on that one - hehe!

M

Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:41 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Our combined incomes are less than that, and we are surviving....
A lot of it depends where in Aus you are - which you don't say? And there are numerous decent places here for less than $300 (Qld). In fact I bet a few people on here would object to having their homes called 'Hell holes' !
No..... hell hole sums up chez garrett rather nicely

You guys are having rain?? pah surely not, it never rains in Straya Its bloody stinkin hot here in Melbourne,(WE NEEEED RAIN) ha, course it isn't, we all know Melly weathers terrible and just like Britain, silly ole me :rolleyes

This thread has made me chuckle. All the poms telling us how cheap it is to live in utopia, guess they know best *piiiissstt, were we ever this bad??*

Joking apart, there are heaps of variables in circumstance to weigh up and its never black and white for anyone.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:45 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

Joking apart, there are heaps of variables in circumstance to weigh up and its never black and white for anyone.
One of those cases where each individual has to live it to know the reality?
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:47 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One of those cases where each individual has to live it to know the reality?
I reckon

I have some shocking news that is reality. I am liking beetroot :scared: I am truly living on the dark side now
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:52 am
Home and Happy

I am liking beetroot
ARGHHHHHHH!!! just make sure it stays locked in its Tupperware box while I'm around
You dark horse, you've become an Aussie on the quiet
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon

I have some shocking news that is reality. I am liking beetroot :scared: I am truly living on the dark side now
Bloody weirdos.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:03 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bondipom
Bloody weirdos.
Bit worrying isn't it BP, she'll be hosting Enjo parties next........ :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.