Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$80000 a year needed

$80000 a year needed

Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

AndrewP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $80000 a year needed

Another line of approach would be to ask what gross income a family of four would reasonably need in the UK? Would £40,000 be enough? Obviously it depends completely on the profession (some seem to be closer to £1 = $1, others are closer to the real exchange rate of £1 = £2.45) but equating £40k to $80k is not unreasonable. Certainyl research for my own job suggests that £1:$2 is not an unreasonable expectation.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Herman
Sydney is very much a 2 tier economy (not unlike most of the UK) now - the 'haves' that came years ago and have prospered on the back of land/property value increases and those that arrived recently and struggle to come anyware close in terms of lifestyle and tend to shackle themselves with massive mortgages..
How true. It's the same here (not surprising since there have been property bubbles at about the same time).

The irony is that whether you're a have/have not depends largely on whether you bought a house at the right time, ie, while they were cheap or while inflation (house and wage) was very high.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:57 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
60K a year will not get you far ?
what do u guys spend your money on ?
60k a year will net you about 1700 dollars a fortnight for every 100k mortgage it's approx 700 bucks a month..

As I said if you're loaded and intend to live mortage free you'll be fine

Believe me, it's not cheap to live out here.........it's about the same as the UK so if you can live off £24k in the UK then I suppose $60k will get you by
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
read my post i said over $1000 ......
Well $2500-$3000 is certainly over $1000 .

FWIW, I tend to agree that alot of the figures on here are excessively high. I spend $150-200/week on groceries, for a family of four & I consider we eat fairly well ie only buy the occasional homebrand product. I have just bought my kids books for school yesterday, total cost was $170 for 2 of them (that included contact to cover the books + extra pencils/erasers etc for later in the year + the school levy for the year). Our phone bill averages $70-80/month. We just went back to the UK in Oct, admittedly not peak season, but the flights for 4 of us cost less than $8000. Not having kids would reduce the amount of money you need considerably. And it certainly does depend on were you live, Sydney is alot more expensive to live in than most other places in Australia. Id hate to be scutter looking at earning $35K/year in Sydney :scared: .

(BTW, we would pull up in a 2001 Pathfinder & a 2003 Mitsubishi Magna )

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jan 17th 2005 at 10:04 pm. Reason: add school levy comment
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Well $2500-$3000 is certainly over $1000 .

FWIW, I tend to agree that alot of the figures on here are excessively high. I spend $150-200/week on groceries, for a family of four & I consider we eat fairly well ie only buy the occasional homebrand product. I have just bought my kids books for school yesterday, total cost was $170 for 2 of them (that included contact to cover the books + extra pencils/erasers etc for later in the year + the school levy for the year). Our phone bill averages $70-80/month. We just went back to the UK in Oct, admittedly not peak season, but the flights for 4 of us cost less than $8000. Not having kids would reduce the amount of money you need considerably. And it certainly does depend on were you live, Sydney is alot more expensive to live in than most other places in Australia. Id hate to be scutter looking at earning $35K/year in Sydney :scared: .

(BTW, we would pull up in a 2001 Pathfinder & a 2003 Mitsubishi Magna )
We've just bought our School books for 1 child, at a cost of $140 for the year.

We spend a bit less than Mrs D on food, there are only three of us.

Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Lorraine Bryan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by juzzer
Hi Lorraine- I'm working as a midwife in Melbourne. We moved here 2 years ago and we could have just survived on my full time wages alone (without kids). But could not have had all new things as well. However, if you would do just agency work, you would earn between $40 and $60 dollars an hour, (very approx. $60,000gross) and that would definately be enough to get by.
We didnt ship everything over and we wished we had. Even things like spare duvet covers and kitchen things etc soon add up when considering starting again. As an earlier entry said- its better to have your old quality things and chuck them, than buy new cheap things just to get by temporarily. (and I think it would probably be cheaper to ship everything than buy new).

Cheers for that juzzer Think i'll start looking after my old bits and bobs ready to ship rather than chuck them.

Btw is it better paid doing agency like it is in the UK? I quite like the fact of doing regular agency work and have time off as and when I feel finances permitting.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

We are two adults and no children and are hoping to move to the Melbourne area. We are coming to Aus. with about A$500k and hope to buy a house for around A$250k and live off the rest for a couple of years (calculate we need A$50k a year max. living expenses) and see what happens.
We are aware that should we fail to get work eventually we will be in trouble and probably need to return but we feel we've qworked hard for 20 years and deserve a few years of enjoyment before we are too old to appreciate it.
Our main reason for going to Aus. is improving quality of life and to get away from this country which is going to the dogs rapidly.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:12 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by eintracht
We are two adults and no children and are hoping to move to the Melbourne area. We are coming to Aus. with about A$500k and hope to buy a house for around A$250k and live off the rest for a couple of years (calculate we need A$50k a year max. living expenses) and see what happens.
We are aware that should we fail to get work eventually we will be in trouble and probably need to return but we feel we've qworked hard for 20 years and deserve a few years of enjoyment before we are too old to appreciate it.
Our main reason for going to Aus. is improving quality of life and to get away from this country which is going to the dogs rapidly.
Been goin' ter the dorgs since the end of the ice age.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

When you get told to take down St.Gorge's flags during Euro 2004 because it affends other workers

When Mohammad is one of the top 20 boys names

When Primary School headmasters have to apologize before their childrens nativity play because it might offend some people

I could go on....

Then its time to hit the road jack.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Sorry guys but facts are facts, we tried shopping many different ways (to try and cut costs), but our average food bill was $470 a week.
I seriously hope that was a typo - $470 a week on food?! :scared: You meant to say $470 a month, right?

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:49 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

When you get told to take down St.Gorge's flags during Euro 2004 because it affends other workers

When Primary School headmasters have to apologize before their childrens nativity play because it might offend some people

I could go on....

Funny:

Euro 2004 Flags

Offer to run up some other other flags as well?

If Mohammad gets on your goat, have a card printed with this website url:

Muslim Names

and put this url on the back:

The Atheist Society of Australia

Indoctrinating poor wee kiddie winks in superstitious twaddle: what Evangelical Atheist would not be offened?
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:41 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by samnrob2

For too long, brits are told that the UK is so superior and expensive - it doesn't have to be - unless you live in Surrey, in which case life's one big rip-off
I thank you !!

Morning all,
Maybe thats why i feel that some people are not really living within there means, ive lived in surrey since i was 10 so i suppose ive always been used to paying silly prices.
but i did like your comment on "if you can't afford it in UK, why should u be able to afford it Oz"
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I could go on....

Actually in Sydney this Christmas one supermarket banned nativity displays so as not to offend non-Christian customers, as did many schools and kindergartens across Australia. Political correctness gone mad, I know, but I'd hate for you to think it doesn't go on in Australia too.

Are you sure you are going to be comfortable in a city with such a high non-European population? You are likely to meet many Mohammeds in Australia too......
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
Actually in Sydney this Christmas one supermarket banned nativity displays so as not to offend non-Christian customers, as did many schools and kindergartens across Australia. Political correctness gone mad, I know, but I'd hate for you to think it doesn't go on in Australia too.

Are you sure you are going to be comfortable in a city with such a high non-European population? You are likely to meet many Mohammeds in Australia too......

We are looking for a nice little town far enough outside Melbourne to avoid the hussle and bussle of a big city and all that goes with it but close enough to be able to get in for the cricket !!!! Sunbury is the closest we've looked at so far.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
Exactly, and in Australia eintracht will also be a migrant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.