Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$80000 a year needed

$80000 a year needed

Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:24 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: $80000 a year needed

Originally Posted by glittababe
If your 100% sure, oz is for you then go for it. If your absolutely loaded, have good jobs and wages to go too, are willing to pay more for a quality of life you enjoy, then you'll have no probs!!!
That's all that needs to be said on the matter - lol

And it really is that simple! Spend within your means (it's the same in any country).

If you leave the UK without having a car that has A/C, cruise control, broadband internet connection, a five bed house - then you shouldn't get to Oz and complain that you can't afford it. If you can't afford it in the UK, then chances are you can't afford it in Oz.

For too long, brits are told that the UK is so superior and expensive - it doesn't have to be - unless you live in Surrey, in which case life's one big rip-off
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
It's interesting to read your posts G.

My parents have been retired for the best part of 2 years now and seem intent on leading a rather 'comfortable' lifestyle despite having a good amount of savings available to them.

Despite the option been there for them to lead an extravagant lifestyle they seem to think that they have to leave money for me and my brother 'when they pop off'!

I think it's a shame that people think like this (I'm not suggesting you are the same - this is just a pointless statement to help me get through the final half hour of the working day!)

I want my parents to blow their money on things they want. They've worked all their life, it's their money, I hate the fact they think they have to leave me money!!

I re-iterate my previous point, people shouldn't expect others to fund their lifestyle (with the exception of the nice mortgage people perhaps?!)

If you have a pension that can cover your weekly/monthly outgoings, then why have money waiting in the bank - blow it on a boat / barbie / sheilas, whatever!!!!!!

Material stuff shouldn't matter anyway - just get yourself down the beach or into the bush!

Rob
I take your point Rob

When I was in my 20's and 30's I did not care much about money. But then I didn't have any!

My mother is in her 80's and lives in a big old house in Oxford which must be worth a lot of money but she is still very careful with what she spends. Old habits die hard.

I understand that I could spend the money I get from my house sale and it would last me a fair while. The interest alone would more than cover any rent I would have to pay with some to spare.

However I think as you get older you get more cautious (it may happen to you ). We are very concious that what we have now is all we are ever likely to have so we are planning with that in mind.

G
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:33 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hi G, happy new year and nice to see you're getting to the heart of issues again. I've tried unsuccessfully to explain how 'we' (a family of five) found it expensive to live in oz, but no one really wants to listen to how it 'really' is. In fact I was accused of shopping in a completely different country to everyone else!!! Sorry guys but facts are facts, we tried shopping many different ways (to try and cut costs), but our average food bill was $470 a week. In 3 mths we brought just 2 packs of Castleman XXXX, so alcohol wasn't included in that bill either! It was very basic food, home brand nothing special. On top of that our rent was $900 a mth (thats cheap), Telstra bill (phone) average $184 a mth,gas $80 a mth, electricity $90 (thats without air conditioning on) & gas $110. As we were in rented accommodation we didn't have to pay rates (but looking at ABCDiamonds its pretty steep), petrol averaged out at $380 a mth - but then we were doing a lot of travelling, medibank health insurance $433 a mth - etc etc Other things we didn't think about prior to leaving the UK were postage costs (to send friends and family letters), mobile phone costs, internet costs. All of it adds up, to think I would have only earnt $600 a week!

Consideration must also be given to the little things we take forgranted. Schooling in the UK is free. In Qld you have to pay in the region of $300 upwards per child for stationary etc Childcare again is expensive in oz. This really hit us hard as up until we left my mother in law had cared for my kids every day so I could work. All in all we sat and realised that in the long run (I'm talking after the pound high has worn off, all monies spent and your earning aussie $$$$$), we would be worst off, and there is no back up system in oz to help you when money is tight!

My friends moved out in Nov and have encountered the same problems and realisations we did. They are coming home at the end of the month.Sorry to go on, but I think its important to get a reality check. If your 100% sure, oz is for you then go for it. If your absolutely loaded, have good jobs and wages to go too, are willing to pay more for a quality of life you enjoy, then you'll have no probs!!!
Well said!!!

I for one like to see people happy and doing well. I have seen so much eyes shut from posters moving from UK to Oz it frightens me.

You can almost see that they are going to come into problems. In saying that a have read a few in this thread who seem to be very prepared - good for them and they will blossom.

For the record hubby and I (no kids) have worked in every country we have lived in, paid our taxes and never claimed benefits. We have no house or mortgage as we chose to live a simple life. We have always survived, some months better than others but we still have each other and that is what counts. Have this outlook and you will always be content!

Renting gives you many heart aches (and yes you do have to look after lawns when renting in many properites in Oz) but flexibility. BUT we are VERY HAPPY, sleep well at night, surrounded by wonderful friends and family!

Merlot

Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:34 pm
errm back to Perth!

FozzieBear is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I'll be the first to be shot down, here is my forecast:

Rent free (fully paid for house)
Car (fully paid for)
Shopping $1000
Phone $200
Gas $100
Leccy $100
Petty $400
Medicare $500

So all that rolls in at about £950 GBP

I've missed off stuff, I'm sure so add another £300 for that totalling

£1,250 needed to survive on comfortably per month?

It was only a quick forecast, perhaps you can tell me if its realistic?

Looking at Perth for the move btw.

Thanks,

Fozzie.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:34 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
I take your point Rob

When I was in my 20's and 30's I did not care much about money. But then I didn't have any!

My mother is in her 80's and lives in a big old house in Oxford which must be worth a lot of money but she is still very careful with what she spends. Old habits die hard.

I understand that I could spend the money I get from my house sale and it would last me a fair while. The interest alone would more than cover any rent I would have to pay with some to spare.

However I think as you get older you get more cautious (it may happen to you ). We are very concious that what we have now is all we are ever likely to have so we are planning with that in mind.

G
My last point of the working day - is that I wholeheartedly agree with you. I will get more cautious with my money at some point...

but it ain't gonna be now!

hopefully stoked a few debates - looking forward to seeing responses from those in Oz.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:38 pm
Merlot

Default Money to come back with

Just as a thought, do people put in their plans money to return to the UK if it all goes pear shaped within the first few years? It does happen.

Your thoughts on that one.

M

Last edited by Merlot; Jan 17th 2005 at 4:41 pm.

Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

heading_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Money to come back with

Originally Posted by Merlot
Just as a thought, do people put in their plans money to return to the UK if it all goes pear shaped within the first few years? It does happen.

Your thoughts on that one.

M
Merlot,
I for one had been figuring that into my calculations but after reading this thread I am beginning to worry that I may have seriously under-budgeted.
:scared:

I am hoping to take with me around £40,000 made up of savings and the capital from my house sale (already sold). But as I will be likely working in a profession that is not hugely well-paid (welfare worker or perhaps local government officer) I am anticipating earning maybe only about AU$40,000 gross per annum.

I am 41 years of age and heading for Adelaide. There's just me and my moggie (no partner or kids). Hoping to rent initially as I am going on a SIR visa so buying might present a problem there anyway.

I currently earn £23,000 gross per annum. Would AU$40,000 buy me a similar standard of living in Adelaide? Help!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone............ ?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:34 pm
errm back to Perth!

FozzieBear is an unknown quantity at this point

btw if i was planning on coming back i wouldnt be planning on going.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by FozzieBear
OK, I'll be the first to be shot down, here is my forecast:

Rent free (fully paid for house)
Car (fully paid for)
Shopping $1000
Phone $200
Gas $100
Leccy $100
Petty $400
Medicare $500

So all that rolls in at about £950 GBP

I've missed off stuff, I'm sure so add another £300 for that totalling

£1,250 needed to survive on comfortably per month?

It was only a quick forecast, perhaps you can tell me if its realistic?

Looking at Perth for the move btw.

Thanks,

Fozzie.
So you don't have two kids draining all your resources then, like a constantly dripping tap.......!
Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:37 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by FozzieBear
btw if i was planning on coming back i wouldnt be planning on going.
I certainly wish you the very best over in Australia, as I have said I hate to see people work towards a dream or new start and then be unhappy.

What I have seen in the 7 years in Oz and reading this site for last 18 months is it does happen.

Also, I know 2 people that needed to go back to the UK for family reasons (return trip for illness/death in family not return for good) and they struggled on the money front. One is still paying off a big bank loan.

Hubby and I for one could only afford a trip to the UK for a holiday once in 7 years and it was tough not seeing family. We both had steady, good paid jobs in Sydney (no kids) and very careful in our day to day living but the cost was prohibitive.

I wish you the very best.

Merlot

Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:39 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Sandy.l
So you don't have two kids draining all your resources then, like a constantly dripping tap.......!
Hi Sandy

What part of the NE are you from? Where abouts in Oz are you looking to move too?

Merlot

Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:45 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Money to come back with

Originally Posted by heading_downunder
Merlot,
I for one had been figuring that into my calculations but after reading this thread I am beginning to worry that I may have seriously under-budgeted.
:scared:

I am hoping to take with me around £40,000 made up of savings and the capital from my house sale (already sold). But as I will be likely working in a profession that is not hugely well-paid (welfare worker or perhaps local government officer) I am anticipating earning maybe only about AU$40,000 gross per annum.

I am 41 years of age and heading for Adelaide. There's just me and my moggie (no partner or kids). Hoping to rent initially as I am going on a SIR visa so buying might present a problem there anyway.

I currently earn £23,000 gross per annum. Would AU$40,000 buy me a similar standard of living in Adelaide? Help!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone............ ?
I am not even going to begin to comment on what those need to live, as you can see there has been wild amounts bandered around and we at the end lived on the NSW Central Coast, away from Sydney. Podgy Possum or similar may be able to give you some better ideas.

Hubby & I are happy to live basically but we have friends on both sides of the world who live beyond their means or like to keep up with the Joneses. Depends on what you want out of life. We are happy bunnies.

Having moved around a fair bit in my life and more recently back to the UK, even my research of what our life would cost in the UK was way out. It has certainly cost us a lot more to move back and the day to day costs, again are a lot more than we budgeted for.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, im reading some of these threads and starting to get really scared :scared: We dont think we will be out for another year or so and we were quite lucky that we sold our house in Scotland last year (we rent in Surrey just now Rob- big rip off lol) We made a bit off that and in the meantime we are saving our butts off. We earn quite a good wage here but my partner is the main bread winner and we dont know how much he will get paid in Brisbane.

Originally we thought about the 3 of us just takin suitcases but i think i may look into takin all of our stuff now - down to teaspoons lol.

Does anyone have any idea how much an Electrician would get paid? I hope it $80000 per year lol
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hi Sandy

What part of the NE are you from? Where abouts in Oz are you looking to move too?

Merlot
Nr Peterlee at the moment but home town is York. Hoping to go to Brisbane or Adelaide.

You?

Sandy
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:50 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Sandy.l
Nr Peterlee at the moment but home town is York. Hoping to go to Brisbane or Adelaide.

You?

Sandy
Sunny Billingham where I was born & bred.

Lived in Sydney then NSW Central Coast. If and when our temporary stay here in the UK is over looking at maybe far north NSW or Queensland for a complete change.

I like Adelaide, very pretty but I was last there in 1992!

Best of luck
Merlot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.