British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   $42 billion Stimulus Package (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/%2442-billion-stimulus-package-588839/)

sj oldfield Feb 2nd 2009 6:43 pm

Re: $42 billion Stimulus Package

So the $950 is once again for those getting FTB part B?

Am I correct?

MTPockets Feb 2nd 2009 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 7242352)
To be fair, Government's do not save our taxes paid now for our consumption in the future, they use current revenues (current tax) to fund current liabilities (health, pensions etc.). The baby boomer issue and the change in population shape has necessitated a change and the extablishment of the Future Fund etc in recognition that future revenue base will be insufficent to meet those liabilities. So I stand by the geenral principle that future taxation pays for future liabilities and hence children of today will pay my costs of tomorrow.

I have no issue with "doing well" and paying my taxes to subsidy others. My argument was pointing out to someone who DID complain about that very thing (subsidisng other peoples chldren) that they themselves are being subsidised by others like me and will later in life be subsidised by taxpayers who are today's children.

Government - no they don't, but in the same way that contributions into a private pension scheme, NI payments (uk) and tax determine how much private and state provision we're meant to receive upon retirement - these are meant to pay for our future consumption (I agree with you about demographic changes and seriously question if there'll be any state pension by the time I retire).

So I wasn't having a go. Just making the point that simply because governments are underfunded and this requires current taxation and debt issuance to pay for future liabilities this doesn't make that notion fair or necessarily warrant criticism of those who choose not to have kids when they've paid their own taxes for a lifetime. To anybody who moans about subsidisation in a general sense I'd say welcome to the real world if it offends them, but I wouldn't criticise somebody who takes issue with these particular handouts as I think they have a fair point.

sj oldfield Feb 2nd 2009 6:46 pm

"It means 8.7 million workers earning $100,000 or less will receive a lump sum payment of up to $950 each from April"

Can someone explain this one................
Is this for a single person??

sj oldfield Feb 2nd 2009 6:54 pm

Correct me if I am wrong.

I will get $950
OH will get $950

Eldest son will get $950 (as he is in full time employment)

ABCDiamond Feb 2nd 2009 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7242399)
Correct me if I am wrong.

I will get $950
OH will get $950

Eldest son will get $950 (as he is in full time employment)
Then we wil get $950 for youngest son, whom we get FTB Part B

Assuming you all earn under $80,000 each, and you get FTB part A
Maybe, yes, probably, but... lets see what they say once the bill is finalised.

FTB A / B ?? b**er this, i'm getting confused !

sj oldfield Feb 2nd 2009 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7242412)
Assuming you all earn under $80,000 each, and you get FTB part A
Maybe, yes, probably, but... lets see what they say once the bill is finalised.

FTB A / B ?? b**er this, i'm getting confused !

Yeah we all earn under 80, 000 not sure if we get A or B............thats where I get confused!!

moneypenny20 Feb 2nd 2009 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 7241775)
Half the last Ruddles bonus got shoved down the pokies, the other half went on Korean Plasma TV's... Maybe hes not the great flaming dongwit he seems to be, knows most of it will go down a poker machine, back into the govvy purse in other words:lol:.

What a load of crap :rolleyes:

Have no idea what we'll get but it will be something so I would like to thank all the tax payers in the country. Bit confused by the Back to School payment. My two have been back over a week, had to get their uniform a while ago - had to find the money then, not now :D

Luke I Amyofath Feb 2nd 2009 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 7241775)
Half the last Ruddles bonus got shoved down the pokies, the other half went on Korean Plasma TV's...
maybe for the first time we will get some of the handouts:lol:

Been reading the daily trash newspapers for the facts I take it ?

comet555 Feb 2nd 2009 7:25 pm

Renth posted an interesting link back a page or two.
http://www.pm.gov.au/media/Release/2...lease_0778.cfm

Here is an excerpt:

The bonus is subject to an income threshold test which determines that a:
$950 bonus will be paid to eligible taxpayers with a taxable income of up to and including $80,000;
$650 bonus will paid to eligible taxpayers with taxable incomes exceeding $80,000 and up to $90,000;
$300 bonus will be paid to eligible taxpayers with incomes exceeding $90,000 up to and including $100,000.

If this is true then it seems there's a bit more of a sliding scale depending on how much you earn. I think that's a pretty good idea as it would give more money to those who need it the most.

sj oldfield Feb 2nd 2009 7:29 pm

If this is true then it seems there's a bit more of a sliding scale depending on how much you earn. I think that's a pretty good idea as it would give more money to those who need it the most.[/QUOTE]

I dont think it should be a question as to who needs it most...............the idea is to give the economy a kick start...it should be a flat rate for all!!!

comet555 Feb 2nd 2009 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7242472)
If this is true then it seems there's a bit more of a sliding scale depending on how much you earn. I think that's a pretty good idea as it would give more money to those who need it the most.

I dont think it should be a question as to who needs it most...............the idea is to give the economy a kick start...it should be a flat rate for all!!![/QUOTE]
You have your ideas and I have mine :D

While I wouldn't turn down the money if it was offered to me (which it hasn't), I really don't think the money would be spent giving to people who earn too much. I think the public would be pretty ticked off people earning a million plus a year got the money (not us!). There has to be a cut off.

sj oldfield Feb 2nd 2009 7:36 pm

While I wouldn't turn down the money if it was offered to me (which it hasn't), I really don't think the money would be spent giving to people who earn too much. I think the public would be pretty ticked off people earning a million plus a year got the money (not us!). There has to be a cut off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but they pay their taxes just as much as anyone else dont they.

fraser Feb 2nd 2009 7:41 pm

What qualifies as an income? Only Rachel works but I received a small amount in interest. Would this disqualify us from the single income payment?

moneypenny20 Feb 2nd 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7242490)

So does Kevin give $x to every single tax payer? It would end up being such a small amount, it probably wouldn't be worth doing.

comet555 Feb 2nd 2009 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7242490)

Yes they do, they certainly pay a lot more tax as well.

However giving an equal amount of money to everyone really isn't the point of the whole exercise. I fail to see how giving millionaire's an extra $500 per person will cause them to go and spend more money. As pointed out given money to everyone would reduce the amount each person would receive.