Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$42 billion Stimulus Package

$42 billion Stimulus Package

Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:55 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $42 billion Stimulus Package

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Should change the name to the '$900 payouts', now it has been finalised
There are other names I could suggest...... buffoons
Old Feb 13th 2009, 3:04 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Confused

I guess unless we are spending on Aussie services and goods, then it won't help anything, so perhaps I'll spend any future payouts on some good old Tassie wine and then that way I'm helping a local business and myself

Sam
too right Sam, keep it local (well apart from Gunns dont give it to them )
Old Feb 13th 2009, 3:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
There are other names I could suggest...... buffoons

It will definately be interesting to see what the outcome of this will actually be....

I just hope it isn't wasted... Because it is a lot of money for us all to repay in the higher taxes later on.
But... if it is like the first lot that was paid out, it won't do much.

Hopefully the other bits, other than the $900 payments, may do something.

What I found interesting was the $4,000million jobs creation program request, was cut down to $200million by the Government.
I am no expert, but I thought this plan was supposed to be all about jobs ?

Old Feb 13th 2009, 3:12 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

With my 3 boys I'm looking at a new home theatre set-up ... wall to wall plasma's baby ...

"K-Rudd, K-Rudd, K-Rudd ..." was the distant cry as I drove up Marmion past Padbury & Craigie ...
Old Feb 13th 2009, 3:21 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

It will definately be interesting to see what the outcome of this will actually be....

I just hope it isn't wasted... Because it is a lot of money for us all to repay in the higher taxes later on.
But... if it is like the first lot that was paid out, it won't do much.

Hopefully the other bits, other than the $900 payments, may do something.

What I found interesting was the $4,000million jobs creation program request, was cut down to $200million by the Government.
I am no expert, but I thought this plan was supposed to be all about jobs ?
You are correct - turnbull was interesting - we are spending 4% of GDP to get 0.75-1.25% GDP Growth.... good maths boys....

This is the only the second thing Ive seen agovt do that has made me sick and want to stop it -mostly because its going to be so painful down the line personally that its ridiculous. We're looking at huge mortgage rates in 3-4yrs and huge taxation. Excellent.

The investment in infrastructure Im all for - but the freeby handouts are wrong.

(The other thing was clause 28 in the UK but I was an 18yr old student and allowed to be rebellious )
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:45 pm

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spalen
You are correct - turnbull was interesting - we are spending 4% of GDP to get 0.75-1.25% GDP Growth.... good maths boys....

This is the only the second thing Ive seen agovt do that has made me sick and want to stop it -mostly because its going to be so painful down the line personally that its ridiculous. We're looking at huge mortgage rates in 3-4yrs and huge taxation. Excellent.

The investment in infrastructure Im all for - but the freeby handouts are wrong.

(The other thing was clause 28 in the UK but I was an 18yr old student and allowed to be rebellious )
It's all politicking. I agree with most of what you say, except I'm even more scathing. This all makes me so angry - not just here, but what's being done in the US, UK, Europe, suggested by the IMF and globally.

The focus is simply wrong. All economies need to take the hit, now, rather than continue to perpetuate the same line that debt solves the day. It's crazy and I think these bad decisions will come to haunt us all for some time.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:22 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MTPockets
It's crazy and I think these bad decisions will come to haunt us all for some time.
True, it's going to make it worse in the long run.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

flower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jayr
So a family with 2 kids and one income of $150,000 get nothing and pay $43,250 annually in tax.

A family of 2 income earners on $75,000 each with 2 kids will get $950 each person and $950 each kid; or a total payout of $3800. That family's combined tax bill is $32,200.

The first family are therefore $15,000 worse off than the second.

I think I may have to send the wife out to work, halve my hours and put the kids into childcare; that will be good for the family.
$150,000 i wish i earnt that much, i woudnt need the tax break!

Hubby and i earn less than $100,000 a year, i work way more ours than i would chose but i am not complaining, i have a job, alot of others dont. My 2 children have to go into vacation care everytime there is a school holiday, i dont like it but i need to work, i dont have the luxury of being a home mum!.

You earn more than most!, hence why you pay more tax, dont like it change to a lower pay job, then see how long you would last!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh, what can you do? My DH who was anti the package has just gone out and spent his (assuming he will get it) on a Swedish sharpening tool - I could quite easily have murdered him. We arent that well off enough we can afford to go splashing the best part of $1k around on some esoteric knife sharpener when he has been sharpening knives quite adequately for the past 60 years. I shall be even more p*ssed off with him if he doesnt get his handout for some reason!

Who'd have thought the stimulus package could stimulate divorce proceedings? Now we could have pooled resources and come up with RC airconditioning
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:33 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats slightly boosted the Swedish economy
Originally Posted by quoll
Swedish sharpening tool -
Old Feb 14th 2009, 5:20 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
Swedish sharpening tool
Are you sure that's not a youthanism for something else - you know what the Swedish are like
Old Feb 14th 2009, 5:42 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flower33
$150,000 i wish i earnt that much, i woudnt need the tax break!

Hubby and i earn less than $100,000 a year, i work way more ours than i would chose but i am not complaining, i have a job, alot of others dont. My 2 children have to go into vacation care everytime there is a school holiday, i dont like it but i need to work, i dont have the luxury of being a home mum!.

You earn more than most!, hence why you pay more tax, dont like it change to a lower pay job, then see how long you would last!
Being a stay at home mum is not a luxury for everyone its a must when you have no family to help out with childcare and young children, we worked it out by the time i payed for full time kindy for my 18 month old then vacation care for my 5 year old it just not worth it.

I would love to be back at work i miss it. Being a stay at home mum is bloody hard work!! Im lucky we stay a float on hubby's income which i may add is less than $100,000 a year.

The OP who is frustrated by not getting anything in the package $150,000 sounds a lot but they could have big family to support and may struggle too you dont know there situation.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

IIm lucky we stay a float on hubby's income which i may add is less than $100,000 a year.

Stay afloat on $100,000 a year................I would be bloody walking on water! LOL
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:18 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I laughed very hard at the notion of having one parent stay at home being a luxury. Hahaha. We live on way, way less than $100K a year (that's a lot of cash!) but chose to have one at home because we thought it was more important to us than having top spec stuff, holidays and flash clothes. Horses for courses but rarely is having one parent at home full time a choice born of luxury!!!

I don't think we get any of the hand out cash as we only arrived a month ago. Damn
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

flower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kez81
Being a stay at home mum is not a luxury for everyone its a must when you have no family to help out with childcare and young children, we worked it out by the time i payed for full time kindy for my 18 month old then vacation care for my 5 year old it just not worth it.

I would love to be back at work i miss it. Being a stay at home mum is bloody hard work!! Im lucky we stay a float on hubby's income which i may add is less than $100,000 a year.

The OP who is frustrated by not getting anything in the package $150,000 sounds a lot but they could have big family to support and may struggle too you dont know there situation.
It's a luxury to me, i would like to be home looking after my kids, but i need to work. K-rudd helps with some of my costs, but i work some weeks for almost nothing, but again i dont complain as i have a job.
My father was a stay at home dad ( single parent ), it was no luxury for him, so i know the difference between not having to work because hubby earns $$$$ and being a stay at home because there is no other option.
lUXURY to one is not to another- its out own look at things

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.